corner corner The Beekeeper's Apprentice

by Laurie R. King | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Thursday5 of Columbus, Ohio USA on 5/17/2006

status (set by Brumbie): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was young and have had a lot of fun reading this "sequel". Although I am not an expert on the Holmes stories, I thought the author did a good job staying true to Conan Doyle's character. This first book in the series is as much about Holmes' character as it is about the plot, which was true of Conan Doyle's stories too. I liked how the author paired a bright female with him in place of Watson-makes for a very interesting exploration of how the Holmes character would respond to a more "modern" society. I liked this book so much I gave a few for Christmas presents! I am pairing this first book in the series book with O Jerusalem for an international bookray.

Journal Entry 2 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Bookray Guidelines:
**I recommend you read this book first-it is the first one in the series.
•Make a journal entry when you get the book.
•Try not to keep the bookray more than 6 weeks.
•Make a journal entry after you read the book. I will be interested to find out if you think the author has done justice to Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes character and if you found any inconsistencies in the Holmes details.
•PM the next person on the list for their address when you are almost finsished with the book and make a journal entry when you mail it.
•PM Thursday5 with any problems you have with the bookray.
•Last person in the ray is encouraged to release the books locally.

Bookray order: (Order may change if others join)
1. Tireddebb-USA
2. Yvensong-USA
3. Aylaeh-USA
4. mujisan-UK
5. Heaven-Ali-UK
6. Brumbie-UK <-----This book made it to the end of the ray!

Paired with: O Jerusalem in the Bookray

I have created a journal entry below with web links featuring interviews with the author and other web resources for these books.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Friday, May 19, 2006

The bookray is on its way now :->
Sent off today to tireddebb.

Journal Entry 4 by tireddebb from Mystic, Connecticut USA on Thursday, May 25, 2006

Yay! Rec'd this in the mail today along w/ O Jerusalem. Can't wait to start this series! Thank you Thursday5 for including me in this ray!

Journal Entry 5 by tireddebb from Mystic, Connecticut USA on Friday, June 09, 2006

What a thoroughly enjoying book! Not quite all mystery, not quite short story...very much in the Conan Doyle format; yet with modern, non-misogynist characterizations. A wonderful effort which I really enjoyed!

Journal Entry 6 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Saturday, July 01, 2006

EXTRAS
Click on these websites to learn more about the author Laurie R. King, the character Mary Russell, and the famous Sherlock Holmes:

2 Interviews and a video clip with the author of this book, Laurie R. King
Mary Russell's World Website
A Web site with "All the net has to offer about Sherlock Holmes"

Journal Entry 7 by tireddebb at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (7/5/2006 UTC) at fellow bookcrossing member in by mail, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sending this to next person in ray....yvensong.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by yvensong from Reno, Nevada USA on Sunday, July 16, 2006

I find it interesting that after filing a formal complaint with the Post Office re: another book, that books that have been sent some time ago were waiting for me this weekend. Coincidence? Maybe.

Thank you Thursday5 (is this a ref to the Thursday Next series?), for sharing these books! I'm halfway through one bookring and have a graphic novel to read ahead of these, but should be able to get them shortly.

Edit 08/20: I'm almost done with the 2nd book and have PM'd the next reader for their address today

Journal Entry 9 by yvensong from Reno, Nevada USA on Monday, August 21, 2006

I think Laurie King has done a fair job in portraying Holmes. I used to read everything Holmse-ian years ago and still have a small collection of the "Canon" and some of my favorite non-Doyle sequels. I think her books would make a good addition to my collection.

Thanks so much for sharing these, Thursday5!

I pm'd the next reader yesterday, and will send to them as soon as I hear back.

Edit 08/26/06: I have sent Aylaeh a 2nd PM and bumped my ISO.

Journal Entry 10 by yvensong from Reno, Nevada USA on Saturday, September 09, 2006

After several attempts at reaching the next reader and obtaining an address, success! This book is now on its way to Aylaeh.

The Tracking # is: 0306 0320 0003 2736 5648

Journal Entry 11 by aylaeh from Acworth, Georgia USA on Monday, September 18, 2006

just got in the mail today. i have another book ring that i am finishing so i will get to these books as soon as i finish that one.

Journal Entry 12 by aylaeh from Acworth, Georgia USA on Monday, December 11, 2006

i enjoyed this book as the beginning of the series. this book jumped around a bit much for me and i am glad that the other books in the series do not do this. this will be sent to mujisan today. sorry it took so long for the ring to move on. i moved and changed jobs all at the same time.

Journal Entry 13 by mujisan from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 27, 2007

Received this today. I love getting books in the post!

I'll journal again as soon as I've read it.

Journal Entry 14 by mujisan from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 06, 2007

I wasn't sure what I was going to make of this book. I loved the original Sherlock Holmes books when I was younger. I had safely prepared myself to dislike it immensely and was extremely surprised when I found myself totally sucked in to the story! Admittedly the beginning of the book was a little slow going and I did find the small print with tiny line spacing a little difficult to read (hence the length of time I've had it...sorry!) but when I got into the flow I found it an engaging read. I was cynical about the whole 19 year old female American apprentice idea but actually found that the tale told from her point of view added the emotional clarity that had been lacking from the Conan Doyle versions. I quickly found her a sympathetic heroine and the humour right on the knuckle :)

Well done Laurie R King!

I will PM Heaven-Ali for her address and get this sent off asap.

Thank you Thursday5 for sharing this book that otherwise would have passed me by! x

Journal Entry 15 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, June 23, 2007

Passed on to me today by Mujisan.

Journal Entry 16 by Heaven-Ali from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, June 28, 2007

I loved this book. I am a huge Holmes fan - and so half expected to be disappointed by Laurie King's representation of him. However I though the charcter was great - very faithful to the original - although maybe a tad mellower - possibly due to retirement and no cocaine I suppose - the relationship he develops with Mary Russel is lovely, and it was wonderful to meet up again with Watson and Mrs Hudson. It feels as if Laurie King has given us Sherlock Holmes back - and I think I will be reading many more of this series. I don't generally read mystery type books - or rarely at least, but this made a really nice change.

Journal Entry 17 by Heaven-Ali at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 14, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (7/14/2007 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

off to Bridget

Journal Entry 18 by Brumbie from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Passed to me today by Heaven Ali

Journal Entry 19 by Brumbie from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I enjoyed reading these linked short stories which set up the relationshhip between Holmes (rtd) and his 19 year old American Jewish apprentice. I have to admit I skipped quite a lot as I was in a hurry to get onto one of her longer novels.

Journal Entry 20 by Brumbie at Railway Station - details in notes in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Sunday, August 26, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (8/26/2007 UTC) at Railway Station - details in notes in Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom