corner corner The Riddle of the Sands

The Riddle of the Sands
by Erskine Childers | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by Rivercassini of London, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/17/2006

status (set by WistfulDragon): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 17, 2006

332pp. One of the first great spy novels, The Riddle of the Sands is set during the long suspicious years leading up to the First World War. The story builds in excitement as two young men on a sailing holiday discover a German plot to invade England. Neat, clean, bright and tight.

Journal Entry 2 by Rivercassini at Royal Mail in By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (5/17/2006 UTC) at Royal Mail in By Post, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

This one is being sent to a fellow bookcrosser as part of my celebrations for registering my 4000th book this morning.

Journal Entry 3 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, May 22, 2006

Arrived today. Thank you! This is part of my project to read the Observer's 100 Greatest Novels (#37) and the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die [#225]

Journal Entry 4 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 02, 2006

I so very much enjoyed this book. It was one of my late father's favourites from his adolescence between the wars (I remember seeing it on our bookshelves when I was growing up, although I never took the opportunity to read it then) and I can understand his passion for it.

Firstly it is a very good read. Considering that it is just over a century since it was published, and although it certainly 'retains a period charm', there are many aspects of the plot and the pacing that are quite modern.

Secondly, my father was keen sailor who, like Davies, thoroughly enjoyed pottering around estuaries and tidal waters in a shallow draft yacht. Without Childer's own expertise as a sailor, the book could not have been written and the descriptions of the Dulcibella's journeys would have been much less convincing.

I would also like to recommend the introduction by Geoffrey Household (himself famous for his 1939 book Rogue Male in which an english aristocrat tries to assassinate a foreign dictator - usually taken to be Adolf Hitler). The introduction provides a lot of interesting background on Childers and shows what a complex man he must have been.

Thanks once again to Rivercassinni for RABCKing me this.

Journal Entry 5 by Diomedes from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 27, 2009

Three Years !!! I've had this on Mount Toobie for THREE YEARS ???? Nahhh, must have been somewhere else in between :-)

I loved this book, I loved the period charm which you could say makes it dated but to me just makes it wonderful.

Very well written and an excellent storyline - and that's from someone who rarely reads this genre.

Excellent, loved every minute.

Journal Entry 6 by WistfulDragon at Leicester Square in City of Westminster, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, September 06, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (9/8/2009 UTC) at Leicester Square in City of Westminster, Greater London United Kingdom

In support of Molekilby on the plinth!