corner corner Women of the Ukiyo-E (Dover Pictorial Archives)

Women of the Ukiyo-E (Dover Pictorial Archives)
by Ming-Ju Sun | Arts & Photography
Registered by wingerishkigalwing of Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, May 11, 2006

status (set by erishkigal): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, May 11, 2006

Went to the Art Museum today -- to see a Frida Kahlo exhibit (fabulous!!)-- and found this lovely clouring book in the store. Couldn't resist buying it to do a coloring ring :)

from the cover:
Developed during the Edo period of Japanese History (1615-1868), Ukiyo-e art incorpoated themes from the country's classical, literary, and histoical sources. The favorite subjects of its artists were beautiful women--both real and idealized.

Ming-Ju Sun's 30 exquisite ready-to-color- illustrations, adapted from authentic Japanese woodblock prints, feature those lovely ladies--wearing elegant kimonos--in a variety of poses: reading, playing musical instruments,boating, dancing, strolling, among others.

Journal Entry 2 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, June 03, 2006

copy of my June 1 eentry, which I just managed to delete while trying to update--(feb3) .

tardy I am, but this is finally getting underway as soon as I have kt's address.

I flipped a coin to see if the US or
Europe got to color first, and Europe it is.

The order is

gomboggit OR, US----here
caligula03 CA, US
suefitz CA, US
AsianWaterfall FL, US

As usual, please check here before pming the next in line, in the event there have been changes.

And lastly, no laughing at my coloring out of lines--lol!! Just remember, I'll see yours, too :)

HAVE FUN!!

later thought...if anyone along the way has the capability to add pics of the coloured pages....please do! It would be great to see them as it goes along.

on the way to the UK--ktwalker

Journal Entry 3 by ktwalker from Aston, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 12, 2006

recieved

Journal Entry 4 by ktwalker from Aston, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, June 17, 2006

This is a really lovely book, It was very difficult deciding which picture to colour but i'm finished now, have just PM'ed candy-is-dandy and will post it once I have the address.

Journal Entry 5 by ktwalker from Aston, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 22, 2006

sent on its way

Journal Entry 6 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, June 24, 2006

Received from KT Walker. Really looking forward to doing some colouring in.

Journal Entry 7 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, June 26, 2006

Took a while to decide which one to colour in. My daughter helped me to decide and I did it all in one sitting. I haven't done any colouring for years and enjoyed it. I will look out for adult friendly colouring books in my travels.
There were only 2 people in front of me so lots of choice of pictures but it'll be a shame not to see the finished article.

Journal Entry 8 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, June 26, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (6/26/2006 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off this nice little book goes to tongagirl. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by tongagirl from Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Received in the post yesterday and have already started my chosen picture. Had to make myself go to bed at 1130 last night, otherwise would have been a really late night! Just a couple more evenings' work, and then it will be on its way.

Journal Entry 10 by tongagirl from Winchester, Hampshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I've finished my page, and now it is on its way to the Netherlands, to mel723. What fun - I would have loved to do more!

Journal Entry 11 by tongagirl at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (7/5/2006 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Hope this gets to mel723 safely!

Journal Entry 12 by mel723 from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, July 08, 2006

Received it today :)

Journal Entry 13 by mel723 from Den Haag, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, September 17, 2006

I've finally finished it, I enjoyed the coloring very much but it took me a long time to finish. I'm sending it to palomikus asap.
Thanks for sharing Erishkigal.

Journal Entry 14 by eatsletters on Friday, October 27, 2006

ohhh, what a nice surprise! I had completely forgotten it was a coloring bookring! It arrived precisely the moment I had decided to start painting again and bought paintbrushes and watercolors and all that. So I was really happy to color one of the beautiful pictures. I apologize for the somewhat sloppy technique, I am still practicing, it's been over a decade that I've last used a paintbrush...

I really love the images. I studied in Japan and this brought back many positive memories.

Doing a coloring bookring is an absolutely brilliant idea! I hope others follow!

Journal Entry 15 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Saturday, November 11, 2006

Image hosting by Photobucket I just got back from a two-week holiday and found this lovely coloring book in my mailbox, yippie! Thanks for passing it on eatsletters (by the way, I love what you did with the watercolors!).

I'll PM jessibud right away to get her address and will do the coloring tomorrow so the book can resume its journey shortly:)

Journal Entry 16 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, November 13, 2006

I really enjoyed doing my bit of coloring here:-))) Thanks a lot fot this great idea Erishkigal!

The book is now on its way to jessibud in Canada, enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by wingjessibudwing from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, November 17, 2006

Wow, this took only 4 days, all the way from France!! Amazing!

These pictures are lovely. I will make my decision tomorrow, and hopefully, colour and have it on its way by next week.

I love colouring! :-)

Journal Entry 18 by wingjessibudwing from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, November 28, 2006

On its way to Librarymousie today!
Thanks, this was fun

Journal Entry 19 by librarymousie from Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, February 01, 2007

It's here! Jessibud and I were beginning to worry, but I found it on my hutch today while doing a little tidying. Yippee! I have enjoyed looking at all your colouring thus far and hope to add mine to the mix as soon as possible given the time lost travelling--or sitting on my hutch, if my rotten husband forgot to tell me when it actually arrived :)

Journal Entry 20 by librarymousie from Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Friday, August 03, 2007

Please forgive my stalling! I had a wonderful time coloring and this is getting popped in the post today, on its way to next in line.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Journal Entry 21 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

What a treat to find this in the mail pile after returning from a long trip. What a lovely job everyone has done so far.

Journal Entry 22 by Thursday5 from Columbus, Ohio USA on Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sorry it has taken me so long to get this done. We are currently having a family health emergency that is draining my energy. My daughter was in town to visit and we did it together. She chose the picture of the Temple of Asakusa because she had been to Japan recently. It was actually therapeutic to do the coloring.

Hint: If you only hve a limited set of colors like we did, plan all your colors out ahead of time.

I will PM the next person in the ring and get the book sent on its way.

Journal Entry 23 by lilmztaz from Blythewood, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I am going to have to pass this on. thanks for letting me try and play.

Journal Entry 24 by gomboggit from Baker City, Oregon USA on Monday, October 22, 2007

REceived today in the mail. I almost gave this one up for lost, I am glad to see that it isn't! I am going to have a hard time deciding which one to color.

Journal Entry 25 by gomboggit from Baker City, Oregon USA on Monday, November 26, 2007

my apologies for taking so long to do this, but it has been a very hectic month! Now that things are temporarily settling down, I took a couple of hours today and indulged myself. I chose a picture of three "courtesans". In case you didn't know, not all the women in this book are Geisha. The courtesans are glorified prostitutes or Yujo. There are ways to tell the difference between them and Geisha. Their hair is styled more elaborately and often have more decorations in them, their kimono contain much more fabric than geisha or maiko, and often the obi will be tied in the front instead of the back, which makes it easier for them to undress.
I doubt I got any of the color combinations correct as I know that certain colors and patterns were only worn during certain seasons, but it was fun to do anyway. I used watercolor pencils and then went over it with a slightly damp paintbrush to make it look like watercolors instead of colored pencil. Oh, this was just what I needed. Thanks for including me, erishkigal! I'll PM the next in line and get it moving ASAP.

Journal Entry 26 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Thursday, December 06, 2007

Book is here. Thanks.

Journal Entry 27 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Monday, January 14, 2008

Entertaining to color. Sending the book home now.

Journal Entry 28 by caligula03 at Erishkigal in n/a, n/a -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 14, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (2/2/2008 UTC) at Erishkigal in n/a, n/a -- Controlled Releases

Mailing to Erishkigal.

Journal Entry 29 by wingerishkigalwing from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, March 07, 2008

oh~~ can't believe its been weeks since this arrived back home! I looked at the lovely pics you've all done, then laid it down in the office to journal....and it was quickly covered and "out of sight, out of mind." I'm working lonnnnnnnnnng hours 7 days a week at the moment, so it will be awhile, but I do want to get all the pictures scanned and sent out to you to add to the journals. Thank you all for enjoying this book with me!!!