corner corner Rainy Lake: A Novel

by Mary Francois Rockcastle | Literature & Fiction
Registered by trekwoman on 5/11/2006

status (set by AylaMey): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by trekwoman on Thursday, May 11, 2006

I admit, I purchased this book not for the story itself but for the cover art. However, once I fell into the rhythms of the story, my opinions of it kept changing.

Danny (Danielle) Fillian spends her summers at a lopsided home on Rainy Lake. Her architect father, Charlie, homemaker mother May and boating enthusiast older brother Bryan fill in openly realistic set of core characters.

As a person who cannot swim and dislikes the constant pull of waves and their ever-present sounds against the sand (particularly at night), I struggled to understand what others already know- the lure of swimming through lake water; the easy comraderie of adults drinking; smoking and playing cards late into the summer nights; growing up in a pocket of hazy sun, finding your place amongst the townies and summer kids.

The author sets her novel in a volitile time in my nation's history, the 1960's. At the beginning, we see what appears to be a hopeful family fixing up their summer cottage. By book's end, we realize they are fighting through various upheavals and downdrafts, broken in familiar ways, proud and venegeful as the next person.

I'd thought this book would be another dull story of an upper-middle class white family with Sunday values surrounding themselves with their own kind, aligning against an "enemy" and not making much sense of anything. I was wrong. This isn't to say there aren't stereotypes among the characters, particularly in Danny's brother as he struggles with the realities of the Vietnam war and biogtry of his fellow white neighbors.

A worthwhile read. Also, look into the art of Diane Katsiaficas.

Journal Entry 2 by trekwoman at Controlled Release in Chicago Heights, Illinois USA on Friday, July 07, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (7/7/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Chicago Heights, Illinois USA

[T]

Releasing via afternoon post to Bookish-Angel.

Journal Entry 3 by Bookish-Angel on Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Rec'd today. Thanks, Trekwoman!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAylaMeywing from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Picked up at OBCZ Mulligans Bar (a trade for a dutch book).

Opgepikt uit OBCZ Mulligans Bar aan de Amstel.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAylaMeywing from Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, February 12, 2007

Didn't like it that much. I just lost interest in it. I'll release it soon enough in the hope someone else will enjoy it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingAylaMeywing at Lijn 53 naar Driebergen-Zeist in - In de streekbus, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (2/13/2007 UTC) at Lijn 53 naar Driebergen-Zeist in - In de streekbus, Utrecht Netherlands

Behind first seat in the front of the bus.