corner corner The Bridge

The Bridge
by Iain Banks | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingcandy-is-dandywing of Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2006

status (set by Rillaith): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingcandy-is-dandywing from Great Bardfield, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2006

"A man lies in a coma after a near fatal accident. His body broken, his memory vanished, he finds himself in the surreal world of The Bridge - a world free of the usual constraints of time and space, where dream and fantasy, past and future fuse. Who is this man? Where is he? Is he more dead than alive? Or has he never been so alive before?"

A mixture of 2 worlds - The Bridge and his real past. All rather surreal and strange and you find yourself seeking double meanings or metaphors in the writing. It wasn't a difficult read and I did enjoy it - The Bridge certainly had a nightmarish quality. Which world would he choose to stay in?

Journal Entry 2 by wingcandy-is-dandywing at The Clarence, Whitehall in City of Westminster, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, May 11, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (5/11/2006 UTC) at The Clarence, Whitehall in City of Westminster, Greater London United Kingdom

To be released at The Clarence pub at the weekly London bookcrossers meet. May be picked up by another bookcrosser at the meet. If not will be left on the barrel by the front door of the pub.

Journal Entry 3 by Rillaith from Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 12, 2006

Snaffled from The Clarence on Thursday

Journal Entry 4 by Rillaith from Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, September 21, 2006

To be honest, when I started reading this, I pretty much decided I wouldn't bother carrying on with it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't.. well, it was weird and it was rambling. In the end, I carried on, and although it wasn't unpleasant, it was very much not my usual kind of read.

In the end, I almost rather liked the blending dtories, although I'm sure a lot of the levels to it completely bypassed me, leaving me catching on to some of it towards the end. But that was one strange book...

Read to release as part of a Water-themed Release Challenge.

Journal Entry 5 by Rillaith at Millenium Bridge in South Bank, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, September 21, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (9/21/2006 UTC) at Millenium Bridge in South Bank, Greater London United Kingdom

Left against one of the signs identifying the buildings visible from the bridge, on the eastern bridge. Released for the BCUK Extra Forum's September release chalenge - Water.