corner corner Second Form at Malory Towers (Malory Towers S.)

Second Form at Malory Towers (Malory Towers S.)
by Enid Blyton | Children's Books
Registered by Geegal on 5/4/2006

status (set by Shopgirl-NY152): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Geegal on Thursday, May 04, 2006

Darrell Rivers' second year at Malory Tower begins. The stubborn girl will have a better time this year but some new students bring new excitement to the school. The new faces, Ellen Wilson, the grumpy scholar-ship girl, Belinda Morris, her malicious pencil capturing anything and everything and Daphne Turner, the worst of the lot, make the story seem more realistic. Before Darrell can say "Quiet Term" the adventures started. It's when people's expensive items go missing when others shows their real colours. But I can't say anymore than that. You'll just have to read or listen to it. An action-packed storyline, which almost everyone can relate to, all set inside the supposedly quiet Malory Towers.

I really enjoyed the boarding school adventures of Enid Blyton when I was younger. I am not sure if I prefer Darrell's School Days to the O'Sullivan Twin's. In Germany they let ghost writers continue Darrell's story up until her adult year which I found very cheesy. The original 6 books about her time at school are so charming there isn't any need for sequels.

Journal Entry 2 by Geegal on Thursday, May 04, 2006

BOOKRING

Rules of this bookring:
1. Please journal the book when you receive it, and again when you mail it out -- this way, everyone will know the book's approximate location.
2. If you don't think you'll be able to read this book within a reasonable time of receipt, please let me know before it's sent to you by the previous reader, and I'll be happy to move your name down the list.

Regeln für diesen Bookring:
1. Bitte mach einen Journaleintrag, sobald Du das Buch bekommen hast und noch einen, wenn Du es weiterverschickst, so dass alle anderen Teilnehmer wissen, wo sich das Buch gerade befindet.
2. Wenn Du absehen kannst, dass Du dieses Buch nicht innerhalb einer vernünftigen Zeit lesen werden kannst, schreib mir bitte, bevor es Dir geschickt wird und ich werde Dich gerne weiter nach Hinten auf der Teilnehmer Liste setzen.

List:

5.rabenaas
6.Risa29
7.AmaniS

n.??

Journal Entry 3 by Geegal at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 12, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (5/12/2006 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by Monchi1980 from Hochdonn, Schleswig-Holstein Germany on Monday, May 15, 2006

Dankr fürs schicken, wird als nächstes gelesen, liest sich ja fix

Edit 14.06.:

Naja, so schnell ging es doch nicht, aber es war einfach schööööön :-)

Journal Entry 5 by akkolady from Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, July 10, 2006

Arrived today. Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by akkolady from Duisburg, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, July 14, 2006

Pure nostalgia!

I read "Malory Towers"-series of books in German translation long, long ago. It was really nice to read one of it in original now.

Although I remembered the story, I had some problems in sorting the names, as they were completely different in German.

Asking for the address of ioanaDE now.

Journal Entry 7 by akkolady at Per Post geschickt in -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, July 14, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (7/14/2006 UTC) at Per Post geschickt in -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

On its way to ioanaDE

Journal Entry 8 by ioanaDE from Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, July 17, 2006

Darrell arrived at my place today. Will be read simultaneously to other Books, so it shouldn't take too long.

Journal Entry 9 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Thursday, October 19, 2006

The book arrived today - thank you! I already started reading while eating, so Darrell (ich erinnere mich an die deutschen Dolly-Bücher und fand den Namen immer blöd) will travel on quite soon.

Journal Entry 10 by CaptainCarrot from Dortmund, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Friday, October 20, 2006

Nice, nice, nice! No wonder Joanne Rowling writes about a boarding school - that genre has produced a lot of great English children's books.
And now the book travels on to rabenaas.

Journal Entry 11 by rabenaas from Mülheim an der Ruhr, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What a nice reading. Sweet dreams of childhood.
But was the story that simpel and the characters that plain when I read it first?
I'm feeling terribly old now.

Journal Entry 12 by Risa29 from Käerjeng, Kanton Capellen Luxembourg on Friday, November 03, 2006

Darell just arrived here in Luxembourg.

Journal Entry 13 by Risa29 from Käerjeng, Kanton Capellen Luxembourg on Monday, November 13, 2006

Just like Rabenaas I found the characters to be plain and the story simple. Not what I remembered from when I read the book as teenager. Each character seams to have one or two characteristic features and is always acting upto them, in each situation there is a "good way" and a "bad way" clearly separated - not very realistic. But I guess it's the same with most teenager books. Probably it's why they are so successful.

However, I nevertheless enjoyed the little book.
As soon as I have AmaniS' address, I'll send it on.

Journal Entry 14 by Risa29 from Käerjeng, Kanton Capellen Luxembourg on Tuesday, December 05, 2006

On its way to AmaniS.

Journal Entry 15 by AmaniS from Heidelberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, December 21, 2006

Received and read.
At first, I didn't think I was going to like it. I think I have out grown such books, but I would like to see how the characters turn out in the end. A little to nice for my taste.

Journal Entry 16 by Geegal on Wednesday, January 03, 2007

This bookring is finished now. I have just received it back and am happy that everyone seems to have enjoyed it so much.

Journal Entry 17 by Geegal at CVJM in Hamburg - St. Georg, Hamburg Germany on Sunday, June 22, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (6/27/2008 UTC) at CVJM in Hamburg - St. Georg, Hamburg Germany

Journal Entry 18 by Shopgirl-NY152 from Wien Bezirk 09 - Alsergrund, Wien Austria on Sunday, June 29, 2008

After thinking about this book (my favorite as a teenager) a lot recently, i was delighted to find it at the HAMBOOK meeting. Already started reading and wandering down memory lane :)

Journal Entry 19 by Shopgirl-NY152 from Wien Bezirk 09 - Alsergrund, Wien Austria on Wednesday, July 02, 2008

This is amazing! While i was reading this book i remembered the time my mom first gave me the 'dolly' series when i was about 12 years old. I was sick and had to stay in bed all day, so i swallowed one book after the other and finished up all the books within a week.
This time, the book seemed a bit less exciting and thrilling than 8 years ago, but i still enjoyed it a lot. And of course i have to get the other parts, too. i bet i will be reading the Blyton books now and then until i die...
Now, my mom, Lady-liberty wants to read it, so it's gonna stay in the family for a while ;).