corner corner Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter 1)

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter 1)
by Laurell K. Hamilton | Women's Fiction
Registered by editorgrrl of New Haven, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, May 03, 2006

status (set by editorgrrl): available

Journal Entry 1 by editorgrrl from New Haven, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, May 03, 2006

2004 Berkley trade paperback. (Originally published in 1993.) Read more at laurellkhamilton.org and penguin.com. I really like Charlaine Harris and MaryJanice Davidson, so I thought I'd give Laurel K. Hamilton a try. (The same day I ordered this book from Bookcloseouts.com, I was offered a copy through a reverse relay.)

From the publisher
Published over ten years ago by Ace, Guilty Pleasures marked the debut of a series that was destined to grow from cult favorite to a major New York Times bestseller. Now, for long-time Anita Blake junkies and newfound fans, Guilty Pleasures makes its trade paperback debut. Readers will learn how Anita Blake started raising the dead -- and killing the undead. And how she met Jean Claude, the master vampire destined to become not only her biggest nemesis, but her greatest lover.

From the back cover
"Monica Vespucci was wearing a button that said, 'Vampires are People, too.' It was not a promising beginning to the evening. Her hair was short and expertly cut; her makeup, perfect. The button should have tipped me off to what kind of bachelorette party she'd planned. Some days I'm just slow to catch on.

"I was wearing black jeans, knee-high boots, and a crimson blouse, long-sleeved to hide the knife sheath on my right wrist and the scars on my left arm. I had left my gun locked in the trunk of my car. I didn't think the bachelorette party would get that out of hand."

Journal Entry 2 by editorgrrl from New Haven, Connecticut USA on Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Sure, I've read everything by Jennifer Crusie and all the Undead and Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire Mysteries) books. But then I read the first Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery and liked it. Now I've read the first Anita Blake book and loved it. (This one broached some legal questions the Sookie and Undead books haven't: If you're undead, do your heirs have to give back your money? If your spouse becomes a vampire, are you still married or is he/she dead?) I've just requested the next Anita Blake Vampire Hunter book, The Laughing Corpse, from PaperbackSwap -- then there are 12 more to find. Can't wait!