corner corner The Magic Goes Away

The Magic Goes Away
by Larry Niven | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by phantomreader42 of Warner Robins, Georgia USA on 12/9/2002

status (set by cheabelle): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by phantomreader42 from Warner Robins, Georgia USA on Monday, December 09, 2002

An old book, but a good one. Niven is a great writer. This is one of the few fantasy books I've read in which magic is a nonrenewable resource. Niven's "The Burning City" is set in the same world.
This is the story of a "mana crisis," like our energy crisis. Set in a world where there is magic, but the mana that powers magic is being used up by selfish, short-sighted magicians. From the back cover: "All the gods and Fair Atlantis are dead. The creatures of spirit, the unicorns and centaurs, are dying. Soon all the sparkling things will be gone from the world and only clay will remain...". Orolandes, sad Achaean with half a sword, goes on a quest in search of the lost power. An intriguing idea, and very well-written, with great illustrations by Esteban Maroto.
I got it from a used bookstore called "The Book Rack" in Auburn, Alabama.

Books by Larry Niven:
The Magic Goes Away
The Magic May Return
The Burning City (with Jerry Pournelle)
Ringworld
Crashlander
The Mote In God's Eye
Armageddons edited by Jack Dann and Gardner Dozois, contains the story "Inconstant Moon"
New Destinies edited by Jim Baen
Redshift edited by Al Sarrantonio

Books set in "Known Space"
A Darker Geometry by Mark O. Martin and Gregory Benford
Ringworld by Larry Niven
Crashlander by Larry Niven
New Destinies volume VII edited by Jim Baen, contains "Briar Patch" by Dean Ing

Journal Entry 2 by cheabelle on Saturday, January 03, 2004

Thank you phantomreader42 for this one. What a nice surprise to receive a bundle of fantasy novels. I will update this entry when I have read The Magic Goes Away.