corner corner The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips

The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips
by Michael Morpurgo | Children's Books
Registered by Rillaith of Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 24, 2006

status (set by pinkybk): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Rillaith from Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 24, 2006

A heart-warming tale of courage and warmth, set against the backdrop of the Second World War, about an abandoned village, a lifelong friendship and one very adventurous cat! 'Classic Morpurgo brilliance' - Publishing News. "Something's up. Something big too, very big. At school, in the village, whoever you meet, it's all anyone talks about. It's like a sudden curse has come down on us all. It makes me wonder if we'll ever see the sun again." It's 1943, and Lily Tregenze lives on a farm, in the idyllic seaside village of Slapton. Apart from her father being away, and the 'townie' evacuees at school, her life is scarcely touched by the war. Until one day, Lily and her family, along with 3000 other villagers, are told to move out of their homes - lock, stock and barrel. Soon, the whole area is out of bounds, as the Allied forces practise their landings for D-day, preparing to invade France. But Tips, Lily's adored cat, has other ideas - barbed wire and keep-out signs mean nothing to her, nor does the danger of guns and bombs. Frantic to find her, Lily makes friends with two young American soldiers, who promise to help her. But will she ever see her cat again? Lily decides to cross the wire into the danger zone to look for Tips herself! Now, many years later, as Michael is reading his Grandma Lily's diary, he learns about 'The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips' - and wonders how one adventurous cat could still affect their lives sixty years later.

Journal Entry 2 by Rillaith from Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A lovely little book, written as the diary of a young girl who reminds me of me at that age!

This book is for my Birthday RABCK Experiment partner.

Journal Entry 3 by Rillaith at Posted to a fellow BookCrosser in Royal Mail, NSS Parcel! -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (4/26/2006 UTC) at Posted to a fellow BookCrosser in Royal Mail, NSS Parcel! -- Controlled Releases

Posted to my Birthday RABCK Experiment partner at lunchtime.

Note: This is a parcel in 2 parts, as it was slightly over the weight allowance beyond which the postage would have doubled! This book in is the smaller package.

Journal Entry 4 by binkybuffy from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Thursday, June 15, 2006

I really enjoyed this story easy light book and a nice family story

Journal Entry 5 by binkybuffy from Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Will be sending this book on to another bookcrosser very soon in the next few weeks

Journal Entry 6 by misterteapot from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Sunday, October 21, 2007

Received this book in the mail today. Thank you so much binkybuffy and thank you to Rillaith for releasing the book in the first place :)

Journal Entry 7 by misterteapot from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Monday, December 10, 2007

What a lovely little book. I enjoyed it very much; and what a great message it contains...

This is the first of Morpurgo's books I have read; he had me involved in the story from the beginning, eager to find out if...

I should think this would be a great "reader" for 10-12 year olds... there are some concepts in the book that might need some gentle explaining, but the language use and overarching idea is wonderful for pre-teens...

And old teapots.

Journal Entry 8 by jacaranda-merry from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, January 11, 2008

Received in the post with 12 others from misterteapot. Thank you so much.

Journal Entry 9 by jacaranda-merry from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 15, 2008

This is a charming little book with a look back at a different and dangerous time. I enjoyed Lily's story very much.

Journal Entry 10 by jacaranda-merry at BC Brisbane Convention in Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, July 04, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (7/4/2008 UTC) at BC Brisbane Convention in Brisbane, Queensland Australia

Journal Entry 11 by winglytteltonwitchwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, July 07, 2008

Picked up at the Brisbane convention to give to a fellow bookcrosser

Journal Entry 12 by winglytteltonwitchwing at Cafe Bleu, City Mall in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, July 07, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (7/8/2008 UTC) at Cafe Bleu, City Mall in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

To be taken to meet up at the cafe

Journal Entry 13 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Picked up at tonight's meetup. What a well-travelled book!

=+=

Journal Entry 14 by wingfuturecatwing from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, July 26, 2008

A sweet story, which even managed to teach me something! I knew about the D-day landings, of course, but didn't know about the practice sessions - really interesting.

=+=

Journal Entry 15 by wingfuturecatwing at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, August 01, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (7/31/2008 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to Waveweaver.

=+=

Journal Entry 16 by Waveweaver from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, August 21, 2008

Whoops, I caught this a few weeks ago at a BC meet at University of Canterbury, but forgot to register it! Lovely children's book, and made mention of a historical event I didn't know about.

Journal Entry 17 by Waveweaver at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, August 21, 2008

Released 6 yrs ago (8/21/2008 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Gave to a friend at a University of Canterbury BC meet.

Journal Entry 18 by pinkybk from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I'm studying children's literature at the moment so it was nice to come accross this book. I'm planning to release it at a child's birthday party I'm attending soon-for someone to discover.