corner corner A Question of Upbringing

A Question of Upbringing
by Anthony Powell | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 4/22/2006

status (set by 1001-library): available

Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 22, 2006

Volume 1 of A Dance to the Music of Time. It is all Dunzy's fault that I bought this book. When he suggested Powell's Dance to the Music of Time for our next marathon read-along, I trotted out to Chapters to check it out. Yikes, all those volumes at $22.00 a pop would have set me back. But how could I resist when I found three of the set for $2.00 each at the Children's Hospital Book Market. So, now I have 1, 11 and 12 and will be on the search for the rest.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, February 08, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (2/8/2009 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

That darned Dunzy! Now he's suggesting I donate the book to the 1001-library!

But I have to admit it's a great idea. While I haven't read this yet, I do have all of the first three books in this series in another single volume, so I can safely lend this one out.

So off to the 1001-library it goes!

Journal Entry 3 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, February 09, 2009

Thanks so much for your donation Pooker3!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 4 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, March 06, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (3/6/2009 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Yay, this book is checking out!

It's on its way to Cassiopaeia in Wales. Way more exciting than sitting on the shelf.

Journal Entry 5 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, March 14, 2009

Many thanks Pooker3, A Question of Upbringing has arrived safely in Wales. Your card is very appropriate and most welcome, I needed a new chive patch, now I have no excuse and will start this new one as soon as the soil warms up.

Journal Entry 6 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, March 29, 2009

I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy this one or not but in the final analysis I did find it interesting and rather rewarding. I felt as if I was viewing this particular social tranche with a sideways look and not as I expected, to meet them head on. I liked Powell's casual but observant narrative style, which made me feel involved rather than being the interloper I really was.

Many thanks Pooker3, now returning to 1001-library to await another reader.

Journal Entry 7 by 1001-library from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 30, 2009

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Cassiopaeia:)

If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the library bookshelf.

Journal Entry 8 by wingCassiopaeiawing at 1001-Library Book, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 28, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/29/2009 UTC) at 1001-Library Book, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases

On the way to mafarrimond.

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...

Journal Entry 9 by mafarrimond from Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, September 03, 2009

Received in the post this morning. Looking forward to the readf. Many thanks for the bookmark and stickers - a lovely surprise.

Journal Entry 10 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Not the upbringing I am familiar with. A different aspect to British life. I will have to look for the rest in the series.

Journal Entry 11 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (2/18/2012 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Posted on.

Journal Entry 12 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

-- There is more than one copy of the book on my bookshelf --

Received from mafarrimond. Thanks for shipping it to me!

I'm looking forward to my introduction to this cycle of novels and am happy to be able to start with the first one in the series.

Modern Library 100 Best Novels: No 43.

Journal Entry 13 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, March 04, 2012

Part 1 of A Dance to the Music of Time

Since this is only the first in a cycle of 12 novels, it feels as if one is expected to write a review on the first couple of chapters of a book: too early to tell, really, but so far so (very) good.

What I did enjoy a lot, is the fact that the author is such a keen observer. More than that: he manages to paint the subtle nuances of a situation so vividly that I often reread a passage just for the enjoyment of it.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the cycle.

Thanks to Dunzy, who introduced me to A Dance to the Music of Time, and to Pooker3, who donated this book to the library (to which the book is now duly returned).

Journal Entry 14 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 05, 2012

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Stoepbrak:)

Journal Entry 15 by wingStoepbrakwing at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/27/2012 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

Given to Horinkie.

Journal Entry 16 by Horinkie at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Received the book from Stoepbrak this evening. Thank you very much for giving it to me and the warm welcome to BookCrossing.
Gonna start reading now now.

Journal Entry 17 by Horinkie at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Sunday, July 22, 2012

It was a pleasure to read the first volume of A Dance to the Music of Time.

A Question of Upbringing follows the main characters throughout college and university in the early 1920s. Life & friendship is excellently captured with detailed observations and I felt very much like being in the middle of the story.

A very good start - I'm keen to read on.

Journal Entry 18 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 30, 2012

This book is now back on the 1001 library bookshelf and can be borrowed by PMing Horinkie:)