corner corner Knitting Rules! : The Yarn Harlot's Bag of Knitting Tricks

Knitting Rules! : The Yarn Harlot's Bag of Knitting Tricks
by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee | Humor
Registered by omly of Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Friday, April 21, 2006

status (set by omly): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by omly from Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Friday, April 21, 2006

This book is the third book by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (aka Yarnharlot) following her first (At Knit's End: Meditations for Women who Knit Too Much) and second (Yarn Harlot : The Secret Life of a Knitter) books. I bought this book at Porter Square Books on the day she visited the area on her book tour. This copy is signed to me.

This book combines the Harlot's trade mark humor with some really helpful hints and tips. She describes this book as everything she wished someone had told her when she started knitting. Want to see what is making her smile like that on the cover? Why because she has a yarn boy, of course!

This book is to be made into a bookring. As it has been signed by the author, I am asking that it be shipped with insurance. I am sorry for any inconvienence.

1. abs (US)**
  2. firrantello (NC, USA)**
  3. Brookeworm (Canada)** [US/Canada]
  4. WelshHelen (UK)** [UK/Europe]
  5. AnglersRest (UK)** [UK/Europe]
  6. wyvernfriend (Ireland)*
  7. omly (MA. USA)

Journal Entry 2 by omly from Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mailed out to abs on 6/14/04.

Journal Entry 3 by firrantello from Morganton, North Carolina USA on Thursday, July 20, 2006

Arrived in the mail today. I'll try to get it done quickly and on to Brookeworm :)

Journal Entry 4 by firrantello from Morganton, North Carolina USA on Friday, July 28, 2006

I liked this book. I'd been toying with the idea of giving socks and second try and since reading it I've decided to go for it (as soon as I can find just the right yarn... lol)

Journal Entry 5 by firrantello from Morganton, North Carolina USA on Monday, July 31, 2006

Sent out today. Hope it arrives safe and soon.

Journal Entry 6 by Brookeworm from Etobicoke, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 10, 2006

Thanks omly for keeping me in the loop (ha ha) about this bookring. Can't wait to get started.

Journal Entry 7 by Brookeworm from Etobicoke, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 15, 2006

Of all the books on knitting basics and techniques that I've read (and I've read a few) this one is definitely the most readable. It explains the basic tecniques without making them sound like instructions or ever making me feel bored that I was reading something I already know. Instead, she sounds like a sage knitter relaying tips at the local knitting group; she has a very conversational tone. I love how she explains her projects by process, instead of like a knitting pattern. I'm very much in favour of knitting in the old way, of understanding porportions and techniques and doing your own designing instead of following a pattern row by row. She really encourages this and makes it seem very accessable, even to timid knitters. I only wish she'd done so with sweaters, which is the only chapter that didn't really have a project. Otherwise, definitely a book I would recomend to novice and experience knitters alike. I'll send this on to WleshHelen this weekend.

Journal Entry 8 by Brookeworm at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, September 17, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (9/17/2006 UTC) at to a bookcrosser in sent by mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to WelshHelen. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

Journal Entry 9 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Arrived safely today. Thank you, Brookeworm. I have a few ring books waiting to be read but I'll probably be dipping into this one fairly soon :-)

Journal Entry 10 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Thursday, November 23, 2006

Excellent book, written in her own unique style. There were quite a few laugh-out-loud moments, especially at her asides and all her "Ask me how I know, " comments. I particularly love this, about knitting button bands:

"After much experimentation, I have determined my own system for determining band length. I knit until I feel like I'm going to scream. Then I have a cup of coffee and knit until I feel bitter, burning resentment. Then I measure, have a little cry, and knit until I feel the apathy of the doomed. That is usually the right length."

lol! That sounds about right!

I have AnglersRest's address and will post to her Recorded Delivery tomorrow. Apologies for hanging on to the book longer than the usual month and thanks, omly, for sharing once more :-)

Journal Entry 11 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, November 24, 2006

Posted to AnglersRest Recorded Delivery today.

Journal Entry 12 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, November 27, 2006

Arrived from WelshHelen by recorded delivery this morning.

Journal Entry 13 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Sunday, January 07, 2007

I really enjoyed this book. Stephanie writes in such a way that is compelling to read. Every page is a pleasure and is so very informative and there is always humour in her books.

Sorry to have kept this for so long, life just got in the way. This is continuing it's journey on Tues 9th Jan when it will be posted to wyvernfriend in Ireland, by recorded delivery(DT 1030 7203 5GB)along with the secret life by the same author.

Journal Entry 14 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I went to the post office yesterday with the package for Ireland and the recorded delivery slip. It appears that Southern Ireland can not use the recorded delivery slip and is classed as Europe for packages. So,
back to the post office today with the correct label and as soon as I have posted I'll JE the tracking number.

Journal Entry 15 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

On it's way to Ireland by International signed for.
Reference RI 7589 1181 8GB.

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Thursday, January 11, 2007

Just arrived in the post, looking forward to it

Journal Entry 17 by wyvernfriend from Lucan, Co. Dublin Ireland on Sunday, January 14, 2007

I got this from Omly as a bookring and really enjoyed it, it was interesting and informative and I want a copy in order to try out some of the things for myself. Full of interesting tips and tricks as accumulated by Stephanie, from her own experience as a knitter. There are a few patterns, but more of the book is occupied by interesting tidbits. It's very matter of fact and a fun read.

Journal Entry 18 by omly from Arlington, Massachusetts USA on Sunday, February 04, 2007

Returned safe and sound. Thanks everyone!