corner corner A Parchment of Leaves (Ballantine Reader's Circle)

A Parchment of Leaves (Ballantine Reader's Circle)
by Silas House | Literature & Fiction
Registered by scotsbookie of Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 21, 2006

status (set by scotsbookie): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, April 21, 2006

From Library Journal
In 1917 rural Kentucky, a young Cherokee woman named Vine, rumored to cast spells on unsuspecting men, falls in love with local Irishman Saul Sullivan, whom she eventually marries. This second novel by Appalachian writer House (Clay's Quilt) tells the story of Vine and Saul's tender relationship and the prejudice they face and eventually overcome. While Vine was not raised according to Cherokee customs, she is still aware of being seen as an outsider when she leaves her Cherokee community to be with her husband. People are drawn to her gentle and generous personality, however, and soon she forms enduring friendships with her hard-working mother-in-law, Esme, and feisty and independent midwife Serena. When World War I erupts and Saul temporarily takes a better-paying job far from home, Vine finds herself trying to ward off the unwanted advances of Saul's restless younger brother, Aaron, who declares his own love for Vine. A deep respect for the natural world and the enduring spirit of the human heart are what make this book worth reading and remembering. Recommended for all fiction collections.
Maureen Neville, Trenton P.L., NJ

Journal Entry 2 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, September 11, 2006

I have thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy of books. House's depth of feeling for his native Kentucky shines throughout. The book is written from the POV of Vine & House does a wonderful job of writing from the woman's perspective. Through all that happens to her Vine manages to hold on to her dignity & her love for her family, the most important thing to her.

'That's all anybody can ask for, if you think about it - to have somebody to love you & depend on you & yake care of you when you're sick, & mourn over your casket when you die. Family's the only thing a person's got in this life' (p26)

I'll be offering this as a bookring along with The Coal Tattoo.

Journal Entry 3 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Bookring! Please PM me with your location & shipping preferences.

Vespa (UK,UK)
AnglersRest (UK,UK)
LyzzyBee (UK, anywhere)
Cross-patch (UK,anywhere)
BooksBikesBoats (US, anywhere)<----it's here

...& back to me

Journal Entry 4 by scotsbookie at post office in Mailed to first BC member of the Bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (9/20/2006 UTC) at post office in Mailed to first BC member of the Bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Vespa along with The Coal Tattoo.

Journal Entry 5 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 27, 2006

arrived safely this morning. Looking forward to reading this

Journal Entry 6 by Vespa from Weymouth, Dorset United Kingdom on Monday, October 09, 2006

I really enjoyed this boook. Silas House has a way of painting such a clear picture with his words, that you can almost smell the mountain breezes. I can't wait to start reading the next book.
I'm posting this out to Anglers Rest along with a little high calorie birthday treat :-)

Journal Entry 7 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 11, 2006

This arrived today with a very nice high calorie treat. Thanks so much.
I have consumed most of the treat!! Looking forward to reading this one. I've added to mount ring, which is about 8 books high. Although 3 of these are about to be on their way to scotsbookie!(all delightful,but quick reads)
Should be moving within the month.

Journal Entry 8 by AnglersRest from Teignmouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, October 16, 2006

I really enjoyed this book. It was written in such a gentle way that I felt that I really got to know the characters and was walking along side them.

I have LyzzyBee's address, but will not post this on until I am back from hols at the end of the month, as I know LyzzyBee is in the midst of "ring fever"!!

Journal Entry 9 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, October 30, 2006

Arrived today along with another ring - I'll have to read them in alphabetical order, so this one will be first!

Seems so long ago I read Clay's Quilt, when I lived in London and a friend and colleague sent it to me from America!

Journal Entry 10 by LyzzyBee from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, November 05, 2006

Loved this book. I hadn't realised it was set back in the early 20th century, unlike Clay's Quilt, which was contemporary. But it was beautiful anyway - really evocative. The main narrator, Vine, was left to speak in her own idiom, which made the narration of a piece with the story told and made it more personal. Violent events occur but are believable within the context. I will have to collect all these books for myself, too, as there is certainly more than one read in them!

Will PM cross-patch today.

Journal Entry 11 by LyzzyBee at Sent to another BookCrosser in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 16, 2006

Posting to Cross-Patch on Friday

Journal Entry 12 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Monday, November 20, 2006

Just arrived. I am SO looking forward to reading this. I absolutely loved Clay's Quilt. Thank you.

Journal Entry 13 by wingCross-patchwing from Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Finished. I feel so at home with Silas House. His writing has good heart. This is a book I will search out so as to be able to read it again. Lovely.
I have sent a pm to BooksBikesBoats and am waiting for an address.
11 Dec. Put in the post today.

Journal Entry 14 by BooksBikesBoats from Wilmington, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 16, 2007

This book was good reading from beginning to end. It felt true, without forced effort to shock or upset. I felt like I was really listening to someone's thoughts. I especially like the setting of the woods and the creek, and the relationship of Vine and Esme.

Journal Entry 15 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 12, 2007

I have PM'd BooksBikesBoats a couple of times & also done an ISOon the forum but with no luck so I thought I'd try this. PLEASE I'd really like this book back, it is part of a trilogy, a trilogy that is one of my favourites. So could you please PM me or email me at scotsbookie at g mail com (no spaces) & I'll give you my return details. THANK YOU :)

Journal Entry 16 by scotsbookie from Peebles, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, October 11, 2007

It was with great delight that I opened a package this morning & found this book inside. THANK YOU for returning it.