corner corner All Points North

All Points North
by Simon Armitage | Nonfiction
Registered by Vroomfondel of Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on 4/19/2006

status (set by AMRKoresh): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by Vroomfondel from Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Amazon.co.uk synopsis:
"A book about the North, Simon Armitage's North. Not Northumberland, or Humberside, or Newcastle, or even Lancashire - but that bit of Yorkshire where the M1 slashes across the M62, where Jarvis Cocker meets Geoffrey Boycott, Emily Bronte meets Ted Hughes, Peter Sutcliffe meets David Hockney. His subjects, described with affection, acerbicness, wit and inside knowledge, include a typical Saturday night out in West Yorkshire, Hebden Bridge - the hippy capital of the universe, watching Huddersfield Town on Saturday afternoon, the electrified east coast line, and so on."

A funny and fascinating book. As the synopsis says, if you pick up the book and you live in Newcastle or Manchester then you'll be disappointed. However, if you live or know West Yorkshire (the bits around Huddersfield especially), then you'll recognise many of the people, places, events and stories that Simon Armitage has collected in his life.

Updated 1 July: Taken to the BookCrossing UK Unconvention in Birmingham.

Journal Entry 2 by herrgirl from Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 01, 2006

Picked up at the UnConvention in Birmingham. I was born and brought up in Halifax, so this is my territory. The M62 now crosses the very spot where one of my best mates' Dad had a garage and a quick flick of the pages mentions Bridlington, where I spent many a childhood holiday, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 3 by herrgirl from Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 30, 2006

This is a collection of prose, poems and snatches of local news reports capturing the essence of all things northern, more specifically all things Yorkshire. Written by a man who had the good fortune to have been born on the right side of the Pennines, and knows it, it covers a variety of issues in beautiful and often evocative language (well, he is a poet)and strikes a perfect balance between funny and serious.

I loved it. Thanks, gothmarcus, for drawing my attention to it at the UnConvention.

Journal Entry 4 by herrgirl from Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire United Kingdom on Monday, December 11, 2006

Offered in an on-line bookswap and won by teachie. To be handed to her at a future bookcrossing meet.

Journal Entry 5 by teachie from High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, March 17, 2007

Thanks herrgirl, collected today at the Wendover meet.

Journal Entry 6 by teachie at -- Somewhere in Halifax in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (8/1/2007 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Halifax in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

Journal Entry 7 by amidabutsu from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Wednesday, October 17, 2007

i took the book from the shelf at the java blend, on north street, some time this summer, thinking i'll have plenty of time to read it. i got busy and it took me months to finish it.
i quite enjoyed it. i recognised some places and parts of england where i've been, and quite interestingly enough, a few of these stories completely fit with nova scotia!

Journal Entry 8 by amidabutsu at Pier 21 in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (4/30/2008 UTC) at Pier 21 in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

i left it in one of the "train" compartments where you can watch the testimonies of immigrants.

Journal Entry 9 by AMRKoresh on Thursday, May 08, 2008

When I found this book in Pier21 Halifax NS.I was confused about the labels and the whole bookcrossing concept.It's such an amazing idea and I'm wondering why we have not had it in Canada before - Or why I haven't heard about it!
It is also fascinating to know that the book I found has been to places I have not been and read by people I have not met.So I guess we all should take advantage of this opportunity for more practical human networking and getting to know people who has been RANDOMLY SELECTED to have the same experience.
Oh and I'm still reading it! lol
Ammar Halifax Canada