corner corner Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
by Christopher Moore | Humor
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

status (set by Ossiefry): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Because I really enjoy this book, I've already got a whole bunch of copies on my bookshelf:

Picked this one up for a dollar at Bookzilla at the Kaimuki Library, so I'll try to find a new reader for it.

Looks like lots of people are wishing for this book; maybe I'll see if there's interest in a bookray (forum thread here).

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, September 26, 2009

Here's the list for this bookray, but I'm still taking signups - just send me a PM and/or post in the forum thread with your mailing preferences.

Please journal when the book arrives and try not to keep it for longer than a month - Biff might get restless!

If you think you're going to need more time be sure to journal here so the rest of us know what's going on. When you're done, please make a journal entry to let us know what you thought and where the book is going next. IMPORTANT: please check here before sending the book to make sure I haven't shuffled the list recently!

If you'd like to send the book via surface mail and are able to do so, please feel free to do so.

OphEliaGirl (formerly News-Hound) (AZ)
poobah1 (MN)
glitterbee (Germany)
Jujuks (Portugal)
piemunga (Australia)
foxygirlACT (Australia)
Lydiasbooks (UK, prefers to mail within Europe)
Duskdreamer (UK, will mail anywhere) - skipped
vedranaster (Croatia, prefers to mail within Europe)
lunatum (Finland, will mail anywhere needed)
storm0103 (Switzerland, will ship within Europe)
souram (Switzerland, will mail anywhere)
Hayes13 (Italy, will mail anywhere)
kanaye44 (US - Connecticut) - skipped
Erishkigal (US - Utah)
JennyC1230 (US - Georgia) - got her own copy
biisbsw (US - New York; US shipping preferred)
rainbow3 (UK, will mail internationally)
Vekiki (UK, will mail internationally)
Ossiefry (Portugal, will mail internationally) <- ending here

Then maybe back to the US?

?? angelface46 (US - Colorado; US shipping preferred) - may need to be skipped at her request

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Friday, October 02, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/1/2009 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Levi who is called Biff is off on another journey - this time to Arizona (no idea why I said California before - good thing the book got where it was meant to go!) to start a bookray. Hope he finds a friend when he arrives! ;)

Journal Entry 4 by rem_KQI-811293 on Monday, October 05, 2009

Ok, I'm an IDIOT. Or at least really disorganized. I received the book today and promptly realized, I already HAVE this book! I don't want to keep it from the next person on the list so I will contact Poobah1 and send it on its way!

Journal Entry 5 by Poobah1 from Lake Elmo, Minnesota USA on Sunday, October 11, 2009

Just returned from a lovely weekend on the north shore of Lake Superior where it snowed 2 inches of the white stuff and stranded me in my cabin. Too cold and wintry for anything other than reading! Boo hoo... wish I'd had Biff along with me as the one I read stunk; The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes (don't bother, IMO). I'll put this one up next. Thanks for including me.

Cheers,
Poobah1, Minnesota

Edited 10/18: I'm halfway through and have contacted perryfran as he's next in the line up. This book is hilarious...soooooo wrong but soooooooo funny! I'm laughing out loud but quickly follow with the Sign of the Cross. I hope to survive - keeping my eyes peeled for the bolt of lightning!

Journal Entry 6 by Poobah1 from Lake Elmo, Minnesota USA on Saturday, October 24, 2009

What a cleverly written book. It got a little long in the middle as many books do but this is a book I can recommend. I laughed out loud many times and found it touching and sweet at other times. [sometimes, a bit on the raunchy side....but, Biff will be Biff!] He's quite a character. Thanks Hyphen 8, for putting this ray together and including me. I'll get it into the mail to perryfran early next week.

Journal Entry 7 by Poobah1 at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 24, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (10/26/2009 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

This is off to Rockville, Maryland into the hands of perryfran as the next BookCrosser in line for this ray. Best wishes to this little book...and to Levi, who is called Biff.

Cheers,
Poobah1 :^)

Books…Love ‘em and Leave ‘em.

Journal Entry 8 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, October 31, 2009

Received today - thanks for including me in this bookray! Looking forward to this one. I have about 1½ in front of this so hope to get to it soon.

Journal Entry 9 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, December 05, 2009

I really enjoyed this alternate gospel of the Christ story. When I first started reading this, I thought it was going to be a blasphemous retelling of the story but it's really not. All of the miracles, deeds, and basic goodness of Joshua (Jesus) remain -- retold by his best friend Levi (called Biff) in a very humorous and, in my view, realistic manner. There were definitely some laugh out loud moments in the story and humor dominates throughout, but what I really liked was how Moore tried to fill in the 30-year gap in Jesus' history. Joshua's and Biff's journey to China and India in search of the 3 wise men kept my interest and could have been a reasonable explanation for the 30-year gap in the story. This is the second Moore novel I have read - the first was Fluke which I also enjoyed. I'll be looking out for more of Moore.

Thanks hyphen8 for sharing this one! I have grubsneerg's address and will get this in the mail today.

Journal Entry 10 by wingperryfranwing at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 05, 2009

Released 4 yrs ago (12/5/2009 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to grubsneerg in PA to continue this ray! Enjoy!

USPS DC# 0308 0660 0000 7783 5791

From USPS website:

Label/Receipt Number: 0308 0660 0000 7783 5791
Class: Package Services
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™
Status: Delivered

Your item was delivered at 1:48 PM on December 10, 2009 in GREENSBURG, PA 15601.

Journal Entry 11 by winggrubsneergwing from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, December 14, 2009

Biff arrived in my mailbox on Thursday (sorry for the delayed JE!) and he is next on my reading list. Thanks for sending, perryfran, and for sharing, hyphen8!

Journal Entry 12 by winggrubsneergwing from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, January 03, 2010

What a clever, amusing, and touching book. I admit, I wasn't expecting this from Christopher Moore--clever and amusing, yes, but touching, no (true, Biff did plenty of touching, but that's not what I meant!). I agree 100% with perryfran's assessment of the story and can't improve upon it in any way, so I'll not even try.

I have PMed acountkel for their shipping address and will send Biff on his way soon.

Journal Entry 13 by winggrubsneergwing at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, January 03, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (1/4/2010 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

On its way to acountkel in North Carolina. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 14 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Thursday, January 07, 2010

Caught today
This is the first C Moore book I'll be reading.
Looking forward to it.
Thank you for including me!!

Journal Entry 15 by acountkel from Charlotte, North Carolina USA on Sunday, January 31, 2010

This was one of the most unusual books I have ever read. Moore takes the story of Jesus Christ and comes up with his own version of Jesus’s life from his early years after birth (about 6) to age 30. He invents a character, Biff who becomes Jesus’s (known as Joshua in this book) best friend when they are about 6 years old. Biff is resurrected in modern times by an angel who takes him to a hotel and tells him he is to write his “gospel according to Biff”. So he does. He writes about his friendship, travels and relationship with Mary Magdelen (Maggie) and the apostles during this mysterious time of Joshua’s life. The humor in this book is quite good. Many times I found myself laughing out loud. There is some great banter between Joshua and Biff. Some of the names of Balthasar’s concubines are hilarious! The humor of a genius is what comes to mind when I think about this author’s talent. What an incredible imagination this guy has! I believe the focus of this novel weighed heavily on the humor and sarcasm; this took away from character development and plot. The Bible reference is prominent, but the plot that was created by Moore, is some what choppy and hard to follow. Don’t get me wrong though, I would recommend this book to anyone just for the humor alone. To those who may be hesitant thinking this book was meant to challenge one’s faith. Moore says, “If one’s faith can be shaken by stories in a humorous novel, one may have a bit more praying to do.”

I have the next person's address and will be sending the book on it's way!
Thank you for including me in the ring!

Journal Entry 16 by easterngirl71 from Alton, Illinois USA on Thursday, March 11, 2010

Got this book about two weeks ago. Somehow I thought I had already logged the book in, I guess not. I am sorry for any inconvience this may have been caused. I will get to this book as fast as I can:) Thanks for sharing:) sarah

Journal Entry 17 by glitterbee at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I received the book today and I am looking forward to reading it. I had forgotten about signing up for this ray and giving my address so it came as a very pleasant surprise :)

Journal Entry 18 by glitterbee at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Monday, September 20, 2010

I really enjoyed reading this book. Very humorous and well written. There's more, but other readers have written such great reviews (i.e. perryfan and grubsneerg) that I don't think I can add any new insight.

I PMed the next reader for their address and will send the book off as soon as I get it.

Journal Entry 19 by glitterbee at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Thursday, September 23, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (9/23/2010 UTC) at Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Today Biff and Joshua continue their travels to Jujuks in Portugal.

Journal Entry 20 by Jujuks at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, November 01, 2010

I thought I had already registered this book but apparently it was just my imagination. I have almost finished reading it so I'll probably be sending it out this week.

Journal Entry 21 by Jujuks at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, November 08, 2010

I loved reading this book! Biff is completely hilarious and I'd find myself laughing in the middle of the train with people staring at me like I was crazy. I really liked how Moore portrayed Jesus growing up and his relationship with everyone around him.

(Piemunga isn't answering me but I'll wait another week.)

Journal Entry 22 by Jujuks at Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Monday, December 13, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/13/2010 UTC) at Marrickville, New South Wales Australia

On it's way to Australia.

Journal Entry 23 by piemunga at Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 04, 2011

yay! thank you! i look forward to reading this soon

Journal Entry 24 by piemunga at Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 03, 2011

Awesome as always! I love Christopher Moore and can't get enough of his writing. Hilarious, offensive and heart warming. Loved it.

Waiting on the details of the next person to send it to...

Journal Entry 25 by piemunga at Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 17, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/17/2011 UTC) at Marrickville, New South Wales Australia

posted off today

Journal Entry 26 by foxygirlACT at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

received here in Canberra and after reading only a few pages can tell I'm going to enjoy this one!

Journal Entry 27 by foxygirlACT at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, March 27, 2011

I really enjoyed this book and am going to recommend it to friends and family. I loved this take on christianity and it's portrayal of Jesus as a regular man struggling with the usual human problems as well as the added pressure of being the Messiah. Biff cracked me up and I absolutely adored him and his version of the story. The whole story was very funny as well as being touching. I laughed out loud a number of times and it kept me smiling.

thank you for sharing.

I am just waiting for the next person to get back to me with their address and will then send it on

Journal Entry 28 by foxygirlACT at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, April 30, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/30/2011 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

I have the address for the next person and am posting to the UK on Monday (sorry for the delay, I've been unwell)

Journal Entry 29 by Lydiasbooks at Tottenham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Yikes. Just found this and realized I totally forgot about it. Will read asap and pass on. Sorry!

Journal Entry 30 by Lydiasbooks at Tottenham, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, September 26, 2011

Couldn't get into this at all. Pretty busy with other reads, and ready to pass this on as soon as I get an address for the next person.
Enjoy.

Journal Entry 31 by wingvedranasterwing at Zagreb: Donji grad (city centre), Zagreb City Croatia on Saturday, December 03, 2011

The book arrived the day before yesterday, but things were hectic during the day so I kept forgetting to journal it. I'm already 90 pages into it and loving it. Should be finished in two weeks at the latest, as I want to send it on before going on holidays. 20 kg baggage limit makes it hard to lug all the books I'd like to take with me. ;)

Journal Entry 32 by wingvedranasterwing at Surbiton, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, December 18, 2011

Just checking in to let you know that Lamb travelled with me to London after all. Things were hectic before I left for UK so I didn't have the time to finish the book before the trip, and it seems fitting with the story that the book gets to travel around a bit.

I will be contacting the next in line, lunatum, as I'll finish reading in a few days.

Journal Entry 33 by wingvedranasterwing at Bishopbriggs, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (1/6/2012 UTC) at Bishopbriggs, Scotland United Kingdom

Not only did the book travel to London, it even made it up to Scotland with me.

I enjoyed it a lot, especially the bits that seem to hint at ancient origins of modern customs, foods, beverages, etc. Like why Jewish people eat Chinese food during the festive season, or how the first cappuccino came to exist. :) Not being at all religious these days, I am sure I missed loads of minute references to biblical texts and other religious myths, catching just the major ones which tend to be enmeshed in modern (Christian) societies, whether one is religious or not. However, I don't think this diminished my enjoyment of the book. I found it witty and funny, and will probably be on the lookout for some of the other's other works.

Sent it off to lunatum yesterday afternoon.

Journal Entry 34 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi Finland on Friday, January 20, 2012

The book arrived safely. I have two other ring/ray books ahead of this.

Journal Entry 35 by winglunatumwing at Savukoski, Lappi Finland on Saturday, January 28, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and touching and I had good time reading it. Thank you for sharing this book with us!

I sent this book forward today.

Journal Entry 36 by storm0103 at Aeugst am Albis, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, February 03, 2012

The book has arrived safely this morning. Many thanks Lunatum the card. Only -14 degrees celcius here and plenty of snow :-)

Journal Entry 37 by storm0103 at Aeugst am Albis, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, March 04, 2012

Yes, I definetely stick to the general opinion: it's hilarious. I found myself laughing out loud.
Biff is quite a character... not to mention Joshua who is, well, as perfect as he should be.
Thanks Iphen8 for sharing this moment of laugh with us. I really enjoyed it.

This book has been travelling quite a lot... and it's journey is not over. That's why I took the liberty to repair it with the help of my great transparent sticky tape.

Journal Entry 38 by storm0103 at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Sunday, March 04, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (3/5/2012 UTC) at Genève, Genève Switzerland

The book will be sent per Post tomorrow to Souram.
It's so great to send something within Switzerland :-) Thanks !

Journal Entry 39 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Thanks, I found the book in my mailbox. Merci Storm0103, j'ai bien reçu le livre ce midi.

Journal Entry 40 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Friday, March 09, 2012

I started reading the book yesterday evening. I like it.

Journal Entry 41 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Monday, April 02, 2012

I will finish the book soon.

Journal Entry 42 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (4/3/2012 UTC) at Genève, Genève Switzerland

sent to Hayes13.

Journal Entry 43 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ahhh... it's destiny! I just mailed a package out to hypen8 this morning, and look what I found in my mail box when I came home!

Merci, Souram, for sending this from Geneva.

I have a few things in the works, so I may take a while to finish. I will keep you posted.

Journal Entry 44 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Saturday, May 05, 2012

I am about half-way through.

I have Erishkigal's address and will send it on some time next week.

Journal Entry 45 by wingHayes13wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Utah USA on Friday, May 11, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/15/2012 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Utah USA

Working on a review...
Loved the beginning. The image of a young Joshua and the lizard was priceless. The ending was poignant and well written, I thought. Of course I knew how the story finished.--Don't you hate spoilers ;o) The middle went on a bit too long for my taste, but I am glad I read this. Thank you for sharing, Hyphen8.

I will send Biff and Joshua out after the weekend.
ETA: It went into the mail today, Wed 16th May. Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 46 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, May 23, 2012

This arrived in Salt Lake this morning, and having just finished a book, I'm free to start right away :) Tho the start will be slow, as my sister is visiting from DC~~along with my grand-nephew, who's 8 months old and I finally met for the first time yesterday! So, not a lot of reading time for the next bit ;o

Journal Entry 47 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Oh my, Heavens to Mergatroid! I know I've been a bad bookcrosser this summer (I am so far behind journalling and mailing), but I truly did think I had journalled when I finished reading this hysterical book. I know I posted about it on fb , because one of my (real world) friends commented that this is her all-time favorite book! Maybe having done that, I just ,rearranged in my mind so I thought I'd written here. I AM SO SORRY!

So, anyway, took awhile to hear back from people, next person now had her own copy, and didn't hear from the second till I was packed up and ready to head to Little Big Medicine.

And for the past three weeks, I've just been bad. By the time I returned home, I'd spaced out the sending :(

Now, two months + after finishing, I know longer recall specifics.... but I found this a unique and o so funny book. I chuckled a lot, and laughed aloud as well. I enjoyed "Fluke," but didn't search out more Moore. Now I am.

Journal Entry 48 by wingErishkigalwing at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (8/15/2012 UTC) at Salt Lake City, Utah USA

just put it in an envelope, now I'll go search through emails for biisbsw's address. Will add the dc number when I get to the PO.

Thanks for sharing this hyphen!

DC# 03113260000050401035

Journal Entry 49 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Friday, August 31, 2012

Arrived just today. I'm excited to read it. I'll get to it just as soon as I can. Thanks!

Journal Entry 50 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Sunday, October 07, 2012

Just finished reading this and really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing this.

I will get it out to the next reader as soon as I get an address. It appears from rainbow3's profile that she has been having some internet issues and will be offline for another week so I will hope to hear from her then.

Journal Entry 51 by biisbsw at Endicott, New York USA on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Released 1 yr ago (11/4/2012 UTC) at Endicott, New York USA

Off to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 52 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, November 16, 2012

Hello! Here we go then LAMB arrived with me in the world's Tartan Capital on Monday, so apologies for only making a JE today. Crumbs, it is hilarious, started reading it but don't want to be done with all the fun too fast so i'm eeking it out a wee bit...

Emailed Vekiki for next address...

Journal Entry 53 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, December 17, 2012

Thanks for the update prompter hyphen8. I’ve got to report I’d run aground with LAMB as I’ve been reading, and skimming in a rush, a load of BC books I am releasing in festive parcels to other bookcrosser’s and to chums. Just today though I’ve got all those other books out of the way as I have been wrapping and parcelling like a Christmas elf fuelled on coffee.

Having sorted that self-imposed project out I can now get back to LAMB. I’ve got an envelope all signed up with Vekiki’s address and will either get it into the post this week or next. If it’s sent next week it shall travel from Aberdeen (Scotland, of course. I understand there are nine Aberdeen’s in the US!) where I’ll be on holiday at my Mum’s with my bookcrossing sis, Flutterbies9.

Journal Entry 54 by rainbow3 at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, January 03, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (1/3/2013 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

…OK today, 03/01/2013, Lamb was popped off into the post to Vekiki. I’m sorry I held this up over Christmas and the New Year celebratory period.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, for I figure, the fact that Lamb was not the straight forward read that I had anticipated; ought not to have taken me by surprise but I really had to concentrate with this. And what with that afore mentioned New Year celebratory period meaning reading time was cut to the bone I held onto this far longer than I meant too.

As ever I approached a Moore work with a certain sense of delight, where on earth was he going to go with this particular theme? Because Moore has such a great sense of play with his plots and quirky characters which herald curious interplay and unexpected exchange. Well, the answer was Moore had woven biblical highlights into a fascinating narrative creating new directions from which to contemplate the stories of Jesus/Joseph and I loved that, and Biff’s brand of tart irreverent humour was a hoot. Particularly fascinating was the scrutiny Joseph gave to the different philosophies he was directed to study. Lamb offered me both amusement and fresh perspectives on religious thought and some idea of world views of the time this was set.

On finishing… I want to say that I am pleased I sighed up for Lamb. Though I found it slow reading it was amusing, most definitely an intriguing project and offered me refreshing food for thought. Thanks for being included on this book-ring.

Journal Entry 55 by wingVekikiwing at London , Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 04, 2013

well. You win the award for best wrapped book, clearly. Twirly ribbon! I thought it was a delayed christmas present, and indeed it basically is! yummy bookmark too, plus postcard :) Thankyou!

As you so rightly guessed, I am embroiled in a bookring book at the moment (I swear, they are just like buses), and it's a bit of a fat one so I may be a couple of weeks getting to this, but since I'm already hooting with laughter at just the title page* I guess it won't take me long to munch it :D

*not the title page.... what's it called? The page opposite the inside front cover, has comedy blurb-y type bits on it...

Journal Entry 56 by wingVekikiwing at London , Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, February 07, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (2/7/2013 UTC) at London , Greater London United Kingdom

in the post on it's way to the next reader

Journal Entry 57 by Ossiefry at Aljezur, Faro Portugal on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Arrived safely a while back, will try to read it as soon as possible!