corner corner Shirley

by Charlotte Brontë | Literature & Fiction
Registered by ariuca of Madrid, Madrid Spain on 4/14/2006

status (set by AnnevO): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ariuca from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, April 14, 2006

Passionate and pain-filled, ferocious in their feeling, Jane Eyre and Villette celebrate the individual. In Shirley, Charlotte Brontë chose to look wider to examine "the warped nature of things".
Wirtten after the deaths of Branwell, Emily and Anne, she found it a struggle to finish and in her portraits of Shirley Keeldar and Caroline Helstone, Charlotte Brontë poured out her feelings for her dead sisters. Nevertheless, it is a historical novel which depicts an uneasy era of Luddite riots, bad harvests and social unrest as well as Charlotte Brontë's belief that the denial of the world of feeling is responsible for much of society's suffering.
Tense, romantic, atmospheric, singing with imaginative power, Charlotte Brontë's story of the two women and the men they loved grips until the last page.

Journal Entry 2 by ariuca from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sent today to Beatfienduk with Dracula

Journal Entry 3 by Beatfienduk from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, June 22, 2006

Again received this week (thanks for the postcard too!) & added to the pile. Possibly one to pass on to my Mother after I've given it a bash (although her stash is verging on the ridiculous).

Journal Entry 4 by Beatfienduk from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, February 23, 2007

Begun today and looks to be good. Swiftly paced so far & not, I think, what I was expecting but very welcome for it.

Journal Entry 5 by Beatfienduk from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Seems it's only just over a month since I began this but it feels like it has taken much longer to get through. A good snapshot of the age in which it is set. Some slower, drawn out passages made it tiresome at times but I can say I enjoyed reading it.

Journal Entry 6 by Beatfienduk at on Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (6/6/2007 UTC) at

Journal Entry 7 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, June 09, 2007

I received this book today. Thanks for the trade! Since I now have your address, beatfienduk, I will send you the other book as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 8 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, July 23, 2007

I experienced some trouble with the first chapters of this book. Reading it was sort of compulsory, so I had to try harder... After the introduction of Caroline the book became tolerable, after the introduction of Shirley (on page 199), I started to like the book. All in all, I think it is a good description of a harsh period in the history of the britisch countryside.

This book will be discussed in depth in my bookclub next week.

Journal Entry 9 by AnnevO at Grand Café-restaurant In den Boekenkast in Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (9/1/2007 UTC) at Grand Café-restaurant In den Boekenkast in Capelle aan den IJssel, Zuid-Holland Netherlands

Tijdens de meeting!