corner corner The Power and the Glory

The Power and the Glory
by Graham Greene | Literature & Fiction
Registered by runawaymind of Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 11, 2006

status (set by fushmush): reserved

Journal Entry 1 by runawaymind from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Was not really my cup of tea. Hoping it will be more enjoyable for someone else. Plan to release at tonight's meetup

Journal Entry 2 by neerav from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 12, 2006

the author's name rings a bell but i cant remember why .. will read while commuting somewhere

Journal Entry 3 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, February 15, 2007

Picked this one up at meetup on Tuesday night. I have only read Greene's The Third Man before, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Thanks Neerav!

Journal Entry 4 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, December 26, 2008

I'm on a bit of a Graham Greene kick at the moment! I read (and adored) The Quiet American, then picked up (and loved) The End of the Affair, and this morning I just went out and bought Travels with My Aunt.

This wasn't as great a read as The Quiet American or The End of the Affair - it had a slow start, the religious aspect was less engaging, and at times the book leant towards the grotesque. But it's still a wonderful book, and I found it hard to put down.

I find Greene's "Catholic" books very intriguing - I am an atheist, but have absolutely no objections to reading about religion (hey, isn't this how we learn stuff?). [Caveat: I just read A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man and found it far too heavy on the religion. So not all books with religious themes/plots are readable for me.] He seems to have a great love for the church and for the rituals of Catholicism, but he never seems to unconditionally praise religion: in this, we have a "whiskey priest" who has fathered a child and who (when given the chance) slides back into a terrible hypocritical piety. And the lieutenant who is pursuing him is driven in his hatred of the church, but is a good man in many respects. There is no real good or evil character in this book.

This will be on loan to my father next time I see him, and when I get it back (don't hold your breath!) I'll get it travelling again.

Journal Entry 5 by tqd from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, January 19, 2009

Back from Dad in record time, and offered up on the forums as a bookray.

Participants (so far):

fushmush, UK
jellyfish67, UK

Journal Entry 6 by tqd at Balmain, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, January 29, 2009

Released 5 yrs ago (1/29/2009 UTC) at Balmain, New South Wales Australia

Popped in the post to fushmush today (letter rate, hurrah!).

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 7 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Received today. I have 3 bookrays ahead of it.

Journal Entry 8 by fushmush at Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sorry I've had this for so long. I've recently had a baby and don't have the time to read that I use to. I'm going to set this one free. I will PM the next in the list and send it on its way.