corner corner What If...? (What If... (Simon & Schuster Audio))

What If...? (What If... (Simon & Schuster Audio))
by Robert Cowley | Audiobooks
Registered by wingAceofHeartswing of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 4/9/2006

status (set by allysther): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 09, 2006

From the Publisher

There is no surer way to feel the danger or the good fortune of our collective past than to contemplate those moments when the world's future hung in the balance. Our brightest historians speculate on some of these intriguing crossroads and the ways in which our lives might have been changed for the better -- or the worse.

These unabridged essays range across the full span of history. Geoffrey Parker describes ramifications that might have included a divided Reformation movement, a strengthened Catholic leadership, and no European settlements in the Americas. And Caleb Carr argues that we could have been spared the horrific last six months of World War II in Europe if Eisenhower had seized his chance to destroy the Nazis in the fall of 1944.

This all-star list of award-winning and bestselling authors includes Lance Morrow, Andrew Roberts, Cecelia Holland, Theodore F. Cook and others

Journal Entry 2 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My Dad read this and though it was excellent but notas good as What If 1.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, July 10, 2006

mailed to DameEdna as part of a swap

Journal Entry 4 by DameEdna from Monroe Township (Middlesex County), New Jersey USA on Monday, August 28, 2006

Received through Bookrelay. Will journal after listening.

Journal Entry 5 by DameEdna from Monroe Township (Middlesex County), New Jersey USA on Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ok listen. Not very memorable.

Journal Entry 6 by DameEdna at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (2/24/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, New Jersey USA

Going in an audio book box.

Journal Entry 7 by LittleWhiteBird from Pasadena, California USA on Monday, March 15, 2010

Taken from sp4home's audio bookbox.

Journal Entry 8 by LittleWhiteBird at Arlington, Virginia USA on Thursday, October 07, 2010

This could have been so much more interesting. Most of the descriptions of what if stopped just when it started to become interesting. Or they were too abstract.
I can't comment about the details of most of them, because I didn't know enough about the original events to say how the what if scenarios could have been described in a more interesting way.

The first one, though, was about what if Jesus hadn't died when he said he would, but had lived until he had died at an old age. The author of that essay seemed to think that it would be considered blasphemous to imagine this, but in fact, it's even kind of addressed in the Bible. See 1 Corinthians 15:14 "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith." There are so many things that could have been addressed, e.g. it is generally believed that without Jesus' death and resurrection, Christianity wouldn't have all developed like it did, but may have slowly died out. The author of the essay in the book, though, seems to believe that Constantine would still have made it the state religion and church fathers would still have met in the 4th century to discuss things the way they did in reality.

In general, I would have expected a descriptions of some exciting differences but in the abstract high level way the essays were written, even for the "what if the potato hadn't been introduced into Europe" you couldn't imagine the consequences too well.

Journal Entry 9 by LittleWhiteBird at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (3/3/2011 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Into hyphen8's Mostly Cassettes Audio Bookbox.

Journal Entry 10 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sorry, just realized I had a stack of books that came home in my audio bookbox that never got journaled: this is one of them.

Sounds interesting...

Journal Entry 11 by winghyphen8wing at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (5/5/2012 UTC) at Hawaii Book & Music Festival in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Released at our second annual pop-up Skygate OBCZ during the 2012 Hawaii Book and Music Festival for Secretariat's 2012 Never Judge a Book By Its Cover Challenge (week 19).

More festival photos here.

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you are able to make a journal entry to let me know you've found my book that would be terrific.

If you're new to BookCrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community of book lovers and learn about what it has to offer. If you decide to sign up, you may use me ( hyphen8 ) as your referring member, but that's certainly not required.

In fact, there are no requirements: this is now your book and you may do whatever you like with it. You're welcome to keep it for as long as you wish, and you can even mark it for your "permanent collection"...but you don't have to.

Please do feel free to make a journal entry when you're done with the book saying what you thought of it or what you plan to do with it next: if you decide to pass it this book to another reader or leave it for someone else to find, joining BookCrossing will allow you to follow the book's future travels whenever another reader makes a journal entry...who knows where it will turn up next?

Free your books - help spread the words!

Journal Entry 12 by allysther at Waipahu, Hawaii USA on Monday, May 07, 2012