corner corner Running with Scissors

Running with Scissors
by Augusten Burroughs | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Tinkaday of Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on 4/4/2006

status (set by nachdenker): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Tinkaday from Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Amazon.com
There is a passage early in Augusten Burroughs's harrowing and highly entertaining memoir, Running with Scissors, that speaks volumes about the author. While going to the garbage dump with his father, young Augusten spots a chipped, glass-top coffee table that he longs to bring home. "I knew I could hide the chip by fanning a display of magazines on the surface, like in a doctor's office," he writes, "And it certainly wouldn't be dirty after I polished it with Windex for three hours." There were certainly numerous chips in the childhood Burroughs describes: an alcoholic father, an unstable mother who gives him up for adoption to her therapist, and an adolescence spent as part of the therapist's eccentric extended family, gobbling prescription meds and fooling around with both an old electroshock machine and a pedophile who lives in a shed out back. But just as he dreamed of doing with that old table, Burroughs employs a vigorous program of decoration and fervent polishing to a life that many would have simply thrown in a landfill. Despite her abandonment, he never gives up on his increasingly unbalanced mother. And rather than despair about his lot, he glamorizes it: planning a "beauty empire" and performing an a capella version of "You Light Up My Life" at a local mental ward. Burroughs's perspective achieves a crucial balance for a memoir: emotional but not self-involved, observant but not clinical, funny but not deliberately comic. And it's ultimately a feel-good story: as he steers through a challenging childhood, there's always a sense that Burroughs's survivor mentality will guide him through and that the coffee table will be salvaged after all.

Journal Entry 2 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I've received the book as part of the Bookring. Thanks so much Tinkaday.

I'm looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 3 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, May 22, 2006

Sad, funny, bizarre, touching, strange, moving, but mostly, real. What a mixture of emotions!I couldn't tear myself away from it. There were moments when I wondered if this could really be a true story. I reccommend it to anyone (with good childhood memories or bad).

I'll be sending this tommorrow to the next reader on the list. Thanks Tinkaday

Journal Entry 4 by BettyBoekwurm at Book Ring in Bookring, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (5/23/2006 UTC) at Book Ring in Bookring, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

Bon Voyage...

Journal Entry 5 by JohnSteed from Bad Zurzach, Aargau Switzerland on Monday, May 29, 2006

look what I got in the mail today - all the way from Portugal :)

will be read asap

Journal Entry 6 by JohnSteed from Bad Zurzach, Aargau Switzerland on Monday, June 26, 2006

That was a quick read - although many times a rather disturbing memoir this is a genuine pageturner. The writing is fluid and spiced with (dark)humor.
An interesting view at a different American way....

I certainly will get the sequel.

______________________

who's next ?

______________________

08/23/2006 : will post in (German/Swiss/Austrian) Forum to raise some interest in this book (good chance regarding the upcoming movie adaption)

....guess this is rather a RAY (?)

Journal Entry 7 by JohnSteed from Bad Zurzach, Aargau Switzerland on Saturday, October 14, 2006

will send this book further to:

- SwissShutist,CH
- booberst,D
- Schneefee,D
- samulli,D

Journal Entry 8 by JohnSteed at BookRay in UTILISER 'Libération contrôlée' > Pays > Province > Ville, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Thursday, October 19, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (10/19/2006 UTC) at BookRay in UTILISER 'Libération contrôlée' > Pays > Province > Ville, .---controlled release---. Switzerland

>>>>>>>> SwissShutist

Journal Entry 9 by SwissShutist from Ostermundigen, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, October 26, 2006

Came back today from my holiday in Turkey and found the book in the mail. Thanks Tinkaday, thanks JohnSteed.

Journal Entry 10 by SwissShutist from Ostermundigen, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Sunday, November 12, 2006

"We were young. We were bored. And the old electroshock therapy machine was just under the stairs in a box next to the hoover."
It's true: they are not doing with that machine what you might expect. But there are a lot of things going on in that book that you not even dream of, and...
...everybody is running with scissors all the time.

Insane and response promoting (wincing, retching, laughter).

Journal Entry 11 by SwissShutist from Ostermundigen, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Saturday, November 18, 2006

From Monday (20th) on on its way to booberst.

Journal Entry 12 by nachdenker from Rostock, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern Germany on Sunday, December 10, 2006

The book arrived a week ago. I had a time full of trouble, but now I am able to journal the book and after I'll have finished my last ring I can start with this one.

Thanks very much for this book and for sending it along.