corner corner Masters of Terror Volume 1 - William Hope Hodgson

Masters of Terror Volume 1 - William Hope Hodgson
by Edited by Peter Tremayne, William Hope Hodgson | Horror
Registered by MissQ of Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada on Saturday, November 30, 2002

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by MissQ from Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada on Saturday, November 30, 2002

Picked this up today with a certain fellow bookcrosser in mind (she's a big horror fan). It's a collection of stories by William Hope Hodgson, who seems to be one of the old-time horror writers (he died in 1913) and writes about horror at sea. I don't know if my fellow BCer will be interested...I may read some of the stories just to see if they're any good.

Journal Entry 2 by MissQ at Another BookCrossing Member in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, December 02, 2002

Released on Monday, December 02, 2002 at Another BookCrossing Member in Nashua, New Hampshire USA.

Sent this off today to GoryDetails in Nashua. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, December 14, 2002

The mailman just handed me this one - looks good! [I just love it when somebody sends me a book with a cover showing a tentacled monstrosity devouring a struggling victim and says, "I saw this and thought of you!" {grin} ]

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, December 20, 2002

This is a nicely creepy collection of Hodgson's horror-at-sea tales; I enjoyed it very much. The main plot of each story is similar - the protagonists find a derelict ship and have to cope with some incredible horror or other - but each story spins out differently, varying motivations, type and severity of the threats, and degree of nastiness; some stories are primarily mental/emotional terror, rather like something by Poe, and others are closer to Lovecraft.

[Side note: Hodgson didn't write exclusively about monsters at sea. He also did a series of tales about "Carnacki, the Ghost Finder," an occult detective (a nicer term for "ghost-buster") who would be called in to handle malevolent spirits of one sort or another. One of those stories, "The Whistling Room," is among my top 20 or so horror tales - worth looking up if you enjoy frightening yourself...]