corner corner A Town Like Alice

A Town Like Alice
by Nevil Shute | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingchocdropwing of Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 4/1/2006

status (set by orange-platypus): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingchocdropwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 01, 2006

Bought at a book fair.

Journal Entry 2 by wingchocdropwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2008

Description:

Jean Paget has survived World War II as a prisoner of the Japanese in Malaya. After the war she comes into an inheritance that enables her to return to Malaya to repay the villagers who helped her to survive. But her return visit changes her life again, when she discovers that an Australian soldier she thought had died has survived. She goes to Australia in search of him and of the town he described to her. Jean sets out to apply the same determination that helped her to survive the war, to turning the community into 'a town like Alice'.

I can't believe that I have never read this wonderful novel before. Although it is fiction, the story about the march across Malaya is based on the true story of a party of Dutch women and children who trekked across Sumatra for two and a half years.

This book would definitely not be considered 'politically correct' today regarding race, however, it was first published in 1950 and must be taken in the context of that time when the world was a very different place.

Overall, I found this to be a moving and inspiring story. It was very easy to read
and difficult to put down.

I look forward to reading more of Shute's works.

Journal Entry 3 by wingchocdropwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2008

Offering this for an international bookring.

Please try to follow the guidelines to make it a successful ring:

1. Make a journal entry when the book arrives safely.
2. Please try to read the book within 4-6 weeks of receiving it (or make a journal entry to let us know how you're getting on if you need longer)
3. When finished, journal your thoughts about the book.
4. Please check back here for the latest distribution list. PM the next person on the list and send it to them.

If interested please send me a PM with your location and posting/shipping preferences.

I will keep this bookring open, so if you would like to join, please PM me.

Reading order:

Milliejinx - UK (UK/Europe)
orange-platypus - UK (UK)<--- Here
jellyfish67 - UK (Int'l)
raeliz64 - UK (Int'l)
Xana - Belgium (Int'l)
dschinny - Germany (Int'l)
tootshelling - Germany (Int'l)
blackadder75 - USA (USA/Canada)
TomHL - USA (Int'l)
darkpunkangel - Canada (Int'l)
Supertalya - South Korea (Int'l)
Tubereader - UK (Int'l)
Back to me

Journal Entry 4 by wingchocdropwing from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The book is now on it's way to Milliejinx.

Journal Entry 5 by Milliejinx from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, June 13, 2008

Received in the post this morning, thank you

Journal Entry 6 by Milliejinx from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 02, 2008

I really enjoyed this book, a fasinating story of the influence of one woman on a group of people and on an entire town. Even more so when getting to the authors note at the back I find its based partly on a real event. The descriptions of London, Malaya and Australia were all very well done and I do like a book with a strong female character. Thanks for sharing, I'll contact the next in the ring and get the book off ASAP.

Journal Entry 7 by Milliejinx at RABCK in -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (7/2/2008 UTC) at RABCK in -- By post or by hand --, Greater London United Kingdom

On its way to Orange-Platypus in tonights post

Journal Entry 8 by orange-platypus from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 03, 2008

This arrived this morning. Not bad progress from London to the west coast of Scotland in one day! Thanks.