corner corner A Noble Radiance

A Noble Radiance
by Donna Leon | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingtoshokaninwing of Dresden, Sachsen Germany on 3/29/2006

status (set by Kichererbse01): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingtoshokaninwing from Dresden, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, March 29, 2006

From Publishers Weekly
Providing insight into Venetian society through the lens of a gripping intellectual mystery, this atmospheric tale from Leon (Uniform Justice, etc.) finds Inspector Guido Brunetti investigating an aristocratic family with a shady past. When a rural landowner discovers the body of Roberto Lorenzoni, who was kidnapped two years earlier, Brunetti immediately suspects the victim's family. The Lorenzoni clan bears the legacy of betraying the Jews of Venice during World War II, and from these ashes, its members have created a thriving enterprise. Roberto's cousin Maurizio, who's next in line to inherit the family fortune and business, is the logical suspect, but Brunetti senses something more insidious at play. As he works his way through Italian three-course meals and family crises, he uncovers disturbing details about the Lorenzoni family. Leon deftly depicts the tensions between Brunetti and his ambitious Sicilian boss, as well as the irony of the justice system ("Imprisoned parricides receive fan mail; officialdom and Mafia dance hand in hand toward the ruin of the state"). Brunetti emerges as an intelligent, somewhat world-weary individual who believes in his cause if not the system itself. In short, he's the ideal protagonist for this culturally rich mystery.
Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc. --

Journal Entry 2 by Kichererbse01 from Hamburg - Hoheluft, Hamburg Germany on Thursday, August 31, 2006

This book found its way to me throught BookXerpting. I am suprised and very happy that the first page I have read belongs to a Donna Leon thriller. Perfect!

Journal Entry 3 by Kichererbse01 from Hamburg - Hoheluft, Hamburg Germany on Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I've read one book of Donna Leon before written in german, but I disliked it a bit because tha style appeared "pale" to me. In english it's perfect reading, because it's easyly written and my english has to be practised. So I will keep this book for a while in my PC.

Journal Entry 4 by Kichererbse01 at Galerie marchande Auchan Métairies in Sète, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Sunday, March 30, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (3/30/2008 UTC) at Galerie marchande Auchan Métairies in Sète, Languedoc-Roussillon France

Somewhere in the city of Sete or in the hotel l'orque bleu in the next week - let's see