corner corner A Midsummer's Nightmare

A Midsummer's Nightmare
by Garry Kilworth | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by MissyZ of Clapham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

status (set by PepperVL): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by MissyZ from Clapham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sherwood Forest, home of Oberon, Titania, Puck, Cobweb, Peaseblossom and the rest of the mob, has been whittled away by urban development. It's time to move on, the fairies decide. Sid, their captive, a kindly, if gruff, young car mechanic, teaches Titiana to drive, and on Midsummer's Eve the party starts off in a battered and smelly old bus. They're bound For the New Forest, where they hope to be able to regenerate their magic.

The fairies' journey is full of excitement. At a village fair, they show the morris dancers how to cut previously undreamed-of capers. Titania falls in love with a human baby and steals her from her pram, starting a nationwide search For the missing infant. The fairies then link up with a group of New Age travelers on their way to stonehenge, who befriend them almost without question. Finally, a fight to The death between Titania and The terrifying and sadistic Morgan-le-Fey must take place before everyone can settle down into some form of harmony and peace

* * *

A light-hearted, easy read. Kilworth has has great fun playing around with English mythology.

Journal Entry 2 by MissyZ at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (4/19/2006 UTC) at -- controlled release in -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Off to Shaunesay! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingshaunesaywing from Olathe, Kansas USA on Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Received from a Swap! Thanks so much Missy, it looks good! :) And the candy was great too! Mmmmm....

Journal Entry 4 by wingshaunesaywing from Olathe, Kansas USA on Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Very cute! It was fun to see the famous fairies from Shakespeare reacting to their own play! They are just a hoot, I loved Titania leaving a goldfish as a changeling, and just all of their reactions to modern day life events and things! Also old legends come to life! Very cute, thanks for offering this one up MissyZ, I really enjoyed it! I will be passing it along soon in a swap! ;) Have promised hubby to try and locate a PC copy as I think he would also really enjoy it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingshaunesaywing from Olathe, Kansas USA on Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Going out to CheriePie from a Fantasy swap, enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 6 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Thanks Shaunie! I'm looking forward to reading this, and have moved it somewhat near the top of Mt TBR since I've promised it to Pepper after. :)

Journal Entry 7 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Friday, March 09, 2007

On Midsummer's Eve, Oberon and Titania, King and Queen of the Fairies, along with the rest of their fairies, including the infamous Puck and Cobweb, have decided to leave their home in Sherwood Forest, which has been dwindled down to nearly nothing due to urban development, and make for the New Forest several miles south, where they hope to make their new home.

Accompanied by Sid, their enchanted "rude" mechanical, who teaches Titania to drive, they have quite the adventure on the way. For the movement of the fairies across the land has disturbed the magical atmosphere and caused a number of dormant creatures from Arthurian times—giants, dragons, and even the evil Morgan LeFay—to be roused from their eternal slumber in the Earth.

Stealing a very special baby, whom Titania recognizes as a direct descendant of the union between Guinevere and Lancelot, and meeting up with a friendly group of New Age travelers, the fairies make their way across England on their hapless journey, with numerous detours, for a fairy's path never follows a straight line! And when they finally reach the New Forest, it's a fight to the death between Titania and Morgan LeFay before the fairies can settle into their new home, and return peace and harmony to the land.

This was a wonderfully delightful read! I've always enjoyed Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream, having seen the play a number of times. Plus I have an affinity for the fae, so while reading this, I felt like I was visiting with a few old friends, discovering what they've been up to in recent years. :)

This is reserved as an RABCK for PepperVL.

Journal Entry 8 by CheriePie at RABCK in Media Mail, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 11, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (3/11/2007 UTC) at RABCK in Media Mail, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases

I won this from shaunie in last September's Fantasy & Sci-Fi Swap. Since Pepper also wanted this book, I promised to reserve it for her after I've finished and now that promise is being fulfilled. :)
Mailed on 12-Mar-2007 via Media Mail.

Journal Entry 9 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, March 16, 2007

This arrived today. Thanks so much, Cherie! I can't wait to read it.

Journal Entry 10 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, July 01, 2007

This was a very cute, very fun book. I loved the faeries in modern England... and all the havoc they wrecked.

Reserved for SandDanz as her very much delayed BallySwapper Book.

Journal Entry 11 by PepperVL from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Sunday, September 16, 2007

Gave to Sand at the BO Meetup in Columbus July 2007