corner corner Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog

Journal Entry 1 by BarkLessWagMore from Merrimack, New Hampshire USA on Monday, March 27, 2006

Book #59 registered for the Race to 3 Million Challenge .

I borrowed the hardback version of this book from a co-worker and enjoyed it more than any book I've read all year. It's about love and life with a stubborn, goofy labrador retriever. Reading it made me realize that my lab isn't the worst dog in the world after all! Although mine did devour an entire bowlful of chocolate easter candy, ate a stick of butter (dish and all), has bent all of our door frames with his hard head and managed to fall through the ice of the pool cover last Monday morning landing himself in 6 inches of mucky, decomposing leafy water (P-U) and trailing said muck all through my house he hasn't quite reached the levels of Marley destructiveness!

I loved it so much I just purchased this abridged audio (and I really dislike abridgements) because it is read by the author and because I wanted to relive Marley's many naughty mis-steps. I haven't listened to this abridgement yet but the hardback version is a book any dog lover should put it on their must-buy list.

From Publishers Weekly:
Labrador retrievers are generally considered even-tempered, calm and reliable;and then there's Marley, the subject of this delightful tribute to one Lab who doesn't fit the mold. Grogan, a columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer, and his wife, Jenny, were newly married and living in West Palm Beach when they decided that owning a dog would give them a foretaste of the parenthood they anticipated. Marley was a sweet, affectionate puppy who grew into a lovably naughty, hyperactive dog. With a light touch, the author details how Marley was kicked out of obedience school after humiliating his instructor (whom Grogan calls Miss Dominatrix) and swallowed an 18-karat solid gold necklace (Grogan describes his gross but hilarious "recovery operation"). With the arrival of children in the family, Marley became so incorrigible that Jenny, stressed out by a new baby, ordered her husband to get rid of him; she eventually recovered her equilibrium and relented. Grogan's chronicle of the adventures parents and children (eventually three) enjoyed with the overly energetic but endearing dog is delivered with great humor. Dog lovers will love this account of Grogan's much loved canine.

Journal Entry 2 by BarkLessWagMore at Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Released 8 yrs ago (12/31/2008 UTC) at Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

I've listened to this a few times and am adding it to the Cat & Dog Bookbox for someone else to enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by keno-mom from Georgetown, Texas USA on Thursday, July 23, 2009

I loved this book, and I am so glad that it was included in the cat and dog bookbox. After I got done reading it i rented the movie, which I didn't like as much as the book.

Journal Entry 4 by keno-mom at Mailed to a Paperback Swap member in -- Internet, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, July 23, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/25/2009 UTC) at Mailed to a Paperback Swap member in -- Internet, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Enjoy!