corner corner The Not Knowing

The Not Knowing
by Cathi Unsworth | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by UrbanSpaceman of Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on 3/19/2006

status (set by bookczuk): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, March 19, 2006

Bought to be the U for my 2006 A-Z Challenge.

Journal Entry 2 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 09, 2006

Set in early 1990s in London The Not Knowing provides an entertaining crime story, especially for a first novel. I was a tad bemused by the format, though - the identity of the murderer (though not the motive) becomes pretty obvious quite early on. The central character, arts/music journo Diana Kemp, though, seems oblivious to this as she drinks (and occasionally vomits) her way around London. The brief author bio says that Cathi Unsworth worked for Sounds, Melody Maker and Bizzare magazine, so I suspect that there is a certain autobiographical aspect to the novel. Certainly her descriptions of various parts of London (in particular the pubs!) are very well well done and are one of the best aspects of the book for me.

Journal Entry 3 by Skyring from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, April 16, 2006

A good title for a mystery. Where is it now?

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Sunday, April 16, 2006

With Skyring in town, some of the local BookCrossers met up at Chez Czuk for a pot luck (Hey! That rhymes!) and good company. At one point the kitchen table was covered with books. This one was on the table toward the end of the evening, so I grabbed it to release at one of my two favorite OBCZs tomorrow when we show Skyring the town. Stay tuned!!!