corner corner Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction

Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
by Tom Raabe | Nonfiction
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 11/24/2002

status (set by AnonymousFinder): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, November 24, 2002

'E-books, E-readers, on-line booksellers, content delivery, digitized library catalogs, downloadable text, virtual book groups, and on and on. This brave new book world is enough to reform the most severely addicted biblioholic wit its seemingly endless new ways of experiencing what was once just ink on a page. In this anniversary edition of the best-selling Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction, Tom Raabe adds a mirthful discussion of the ever-mutating, new e-landscape and its effects on fellow biblioholics everywhere."

Read about this book on BC - sounded very interesting, so I bought it.

Last paragraph of the book (talking about the impact of technology and e-books) -"We will still read books. We will still buy books - probably too many. And we will still love them - probably too much. That's what we do. We are biblioholics."

Do you think Tom Raabe knows about BookCrossing?

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 01, 2003

I want to offer this up for a bookring. To find out more about this book, you can visit Amazon. This book is just over 200 pp. Chapters are:

Confessions of a Biblioholic
Anatomy of an addiction
Taking the Test: Are you a biblioholic?
The History of the Book
Reading
To Stack and Protect
Lending
The Cure

Book includes endnotes and a bibliography.
More books about books?

Journal Entry 3 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, June 01, 2003

International bookring details -
Mailing this out on Saturday 6/14. No longer adding names to this one. Pokpok also has a bookring for this book.
When you receive the book, please pm the next person in line for their address.
Also, could you please write your name and location in the front of the book (good book for a B/C souvenir)

Order of ring -
OlysMom (Washington)
Alrescate (Missouri)
Ilios (Florida)
Kevlarsen (NY)
and back to me MaryZee (Maryland)

Journal Entry 4 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 14, 2003

Mailed this out to Seferim today.

Journal Entry 5 by Seferim from Columbia, Maryland USA on Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Yippee!! I received it today and will delve right in--I might be able to finish it tonight too. Thanks so very much MaryZee, I absolutely love books like this!

June 18th 10:37pm

...And I finished the book in about 2 hours... just as predicted. WOW! I have never seen a book get to the heart of my psyche like this one!!! I could not believe the descriptions! I am a compulsive bookbuyer--and reader. I visit about 4 places a week to buy books--usually used books from a charity or community center. I buy at least 20 books a week from the library book sales, the thrift stores, various other second-hand shops, and remainders stores like Daedalus, which has a warehouse less than a mile from my house. Just today I went to two bookstores with my best friend, another booklover, and we spent hours upon hours with the books! My husband does not really understand my obsession, and I often have to hide the books from him so I do not get a scolding... he is not a biblioholic, but he does have a sort of a guitaroholism :) so if he bothers me about my biblioholism, I can bother him right back!

The only description in the book that differed from me, and I am sure many other Bookcrossers, is the inability to lend or give your books away (much less for free!). I have no problem doing this at all, and enjoy it... obviously that is why I am here at this wonderous site.

Thank you so very much MaryZee for passing this book around. It was so good to read. I still am kind of taken aback that there was a book written that matched me so perfectly.

**MAILED TO CBCD ON JUNE 20th!**

Journal Entry 6 by CBCD from Shepherdstown, West Virginia USA on Sunday, June 29, 2003

I just received in the mail as part of a bookring. I read a few paragraphs today - how funny! I laughed out loud about the section on 'Getting them into the house'. I personally hide books in the trunk, and sneak them into the house one-by-one.

PMd Bkwrm23 on July 26 for address...will send it when I get his/her address

Journal Entry 7 by CBCD at Fair Haven, NJ Post Office in Fair Haven, New Jersey USA on Monday, July 28, 2003

Released on Monday, July 28, 2003 at Fair Haven, NJ Post Office in Fair Haven, New Jersey USA.

Mailed today to bkwrm23. Very funny and spot-on. Especially the part about how to pack for a trip - spend 2 minutes on clothes, and then spend 3 hours choosing which books to bring.

Journal Entry 8 by bkwrm23 from Haskell, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Received book as part of bookring/bookray. Will read ASAP and update journal once read.

Journal Entry 9 by bkwrm23 from Haskell, New Jersey USA on Friday, August 01, 2003

Update... I cannot figure out how to add to my original entry, so here's my update.
I thought this book was kind of dry, and not a quick read at all. It took me the better part of the week to finish it.
I was happy to learn that I'm more of a bibliophile, rather than a bibliomaniac. However, If I let myself go...I could head into mania easily!
I would still recommend this to anyone who loves books/reading as much as I or others on bookcrossing do... It's informative!
One thing I did not like was the use of so many $10.00 and up words. I think that that's what made this such a tough read, and they're not words you'll ever see again!
PMd the next person in line (Nelka35) and am waiting for the response.

Journal Entry 10 by bkwrm23 at Postal release in Haskell, New Jersey USA on Monday, August 04, 2003

Released on Monday, August 04, 2003 at Postal release in Haskell, New Jersey USA.

Released to BXer Nelka35

Journal Entry 11 by nelka35 from New York City, New York USA on Monday, August 11, 2003

Got it! Yes! Thanks!
I've started it already today, before I was able to journal it - it's great!

Journal Entry 12 by nelka35 at -- By Hand or Post, Ray/ring, Rabck in Brooklyn, New York USA on Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Released on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 at Bookray in BROOKLYN, New York USA.

Journal Entry 13 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, October 23, 2003

Book came at a perfect time....Muffin77 from Germany is here and we are moaning about our addiction to books :-) Looking forward to reading this and passing this along to the next on this looooong list of names. I'll read fast!

Journal Entry 14 by Zmrzlina from Abington, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, November 13, 2003

So many times while reading this book, I thought "oh my goodness...that's me," but then a few paragraphs later, I'd shake my head and say "not quite." The "not quite" is because biblioholism is only glorified selfishness in this book. Raabe is probably right in his view, but it just doesn't sit well with me. I had the same feeling while reading Anne Fadiman's "Ex Libris."

There are lots of great passages in this book and I wouldn't say it is poorly written or uninteresting. Just didn't do anything for me. I am going to work on an additional "variant of the disease" (one of the chapters) and will post it here, but I will probably mail it off to the next person before I do so.

Thank you MaryZee for starting this ring. I am going to love getting the entries for all the people after me.

Journal Entry 15 by ESofista from Braga, Braga Portugal on Thursday, November 20, 2003

I just got this one yesterday. I´ve some problems with BCID but now everything is ok!Thanks MaryZee

Journal Entry 16 by ESofista from Braga, Braga Portugal on Thursday, January 01, 2004

Yuppie. I discover that I am not a bibliomanic but a bibliophile-"the pure of heart and spirit, the lover of books by their contents" I enjoy very much reading this book. I will send it to BlossomU tomorrow. thanks

Journal Entry 17 by BlossomU on Monday, January 05, 2004

Book has just arrived, just when I was reading yet another bookring, Rachel´s Holiday - a not too good (IMO) novel about addiction. Yikes, and me already thinking I am *probably* addicted to books even before this book had arrived! Oh well...

Book is being read, many thanks MaryZee!

Journal Entry 18 by BlossomU on Tuesday, January 06, 2004

As if I wasn´t worried enough I was a book addict and they bring quizzes and numbers into it. Yikes! ( BTW I did learn something from those quizzes, starting right now, I am getting something boring-seeming from my TBR and putting it in my car, just in case I ever need it!). And Raabe is almost an amateur reading addict - he does not even mention reading on the bathtub: very easy, use a paperback you don´t value much ( and no Terry Pratchett novels, or you might laug too hard and let them drop. It happened to me), keep the hands dry, and a bench nearby with a towel and to put the book, and in winter use water as hot as you can stand ( it will cool down way fast..).

In all a great read, it had me laughing out loud at the extremes us poor afflicted book lovers and book hoarders and book poseurs go sometimes. I got to say I disagree with Raabe´s afterword and his points on ebooks - as if ebooks will be cheaper than books, nope, just as CD makers don´t sell their product cheaply even if it is very cheap to produce. Also Raabe goes on about readers going obsolete and paying for books, he does not seem to be aware of the great projects around to put books whose copyright has expired in digital format on the web in simple file formats ( plain vanilla text for Guttenberg, html for a few others), for free! I think the power of ebook is on such things, being online for free, word searchable, acessible from anywhere - and copyright laws matter, pay attention to your local ones and what groups attempt to change those and why!

I will be passing this book to fflloorr tomorrow, thanks, MaryZee!

Journal Entry 19 by MSO on Wednesday, January 07, 2004

i know that im not a fflloorr but she up to her hair with bookrings and so that the book didn´t get with dust i infiltrate myself because i consider myself a biblioholic.

What a great book. Make me laugh make me think i am Ready to Assumme :

I´m a Biblioholic and i like it

Journal Entry 20 by MSO at on Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Released on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 at entregue em mão in Lisboa, lisboa Portugal.

A quite along but i forgot to make this.

Journal Entry 21 by Justicar from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Hehe, couldn´t resist and infiltrated myself on the ring... and yes, i´m not adicted, nop, not me, i just read a lot, really, just on trains, bus, at home, at the john, walking, just that.
So, i´m not adicted, you all are. I just read... a lot... yap, that´s it....

Journal Entry 22 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, February 19, 2004

The book is now with me!

Journal Entry 23 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, April 05, 2004

Let me start by quoting Zmrzlina «So many times while reading this book, I thought "oh my goodness...that's me," but then a few paragraphs later, I'd shake my head and say "not quite."» I couldn't find a category into which I would fit in. They all are quite extreme and I'm nothing like that!
Anyway, I loved the book! Thanks MaryZee for sharing it with us!

Journal Entry 24 by fflloorr at on Monday, April 05, 2004

Released on Monday, April 05, 2004 at Enviado a outro Bookcrosser pelo correio in Lisboa, lisboa Portugal.

To Nyneph!

Journal Entry 25 by nyneph from Mieres, Asturies/Asturias Spain on Thursday, April 22, 2004

The book has arrived along with today's mail! I'm now busy with two books, but I'll try to start it by next week. It will be part of the Challenge of '04!

Journal Entry 26 by nyneph from Mieres, Asturies/Asturias Spain on Thursday, May 06, 2004

I have just finished the book, and I can't help thinking that the author has been pulling my leg all through it. As it is stated in the back cover, this is a parody of self-help books (the ones the author seem to despise so much), so it made me smile most of the time, and sometimes even laugh. I really wonder whether the anecdotes were true or invented (it might be the case). BIBLIONARCISSISM ALERT!! It somehow reminded me of Swift's Modest Proposal: excessive to the extreme of making one sick but pointing at realities underneath the grotesque.

On the other hand, I sometimes found it was too much 'consumeristic' (so to speak). It surprised me that all the emphasis was on buying books and that the word 'public library' was not mentioned but two or three times. It also occurs to me that biblioholics wouldn't make good bookcrossers with all this zeal about keeping and stacking their books to their graves (I know people who think so and cringe about releasing a book in the wild, but are really eager to catch one, egotist hypocrites!). I found the part on readaholics also very funny because I know many, too.

Like bkwm23 I declare myself a bibliophile (if you don't kown the term, you'll learn about it). I also agree with him/her in that it has too much flamboyant vocabulary (non-native speakers of English beware!)

Journal Entry 27 by tutmarie from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Friday, May 21, 2004

Received in the mail today, thanks. Will read it as soon as I finish the book I'm currently reading (if Majosim doesn't snatch it away from me).

Journal Entry 28 by tutmarie from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Started reading the book last night - can't wait to see if I should join Biblioholics Anonymous.

Journal Entry 29 by tutmarie from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Saturday, June 05, 2004

Well, I can't be a biblioholic when it takes me almost two weeks to read this book, can I? According to the two tests in the book, I'm not a biblioholic and should just shop till I drop. I'm barely a borderline biblioholic, but definitely a bibliophile. Yay!

The book is quite entertaining at times and is an enjoyable read, but also a bit too long in my opinion.

Thanks to MaryZee for sharing the book!

Journal Entry 30 by tutmarie from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Saturday, June 05, 2004

Oh, I forgot to say that I'll pass the book on to Majosim right away.

Journal Entry 31 by Majosim from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Monday, June 07, 2004

I have been looking forward to this one. Thanks.

Journal Entry 32 by Majosim from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Started reading yesterday. Today I took the test: I´m not the worst case but I sit on the edge of biblioholism! It can get better or it can get worse! Scary!

Journal Entry 33 by Majosim from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Sunday, June 20, 2004

Finished it today. I came to think that a true biblioholic would be unable to participate in a bookring because he or she would not like to send a book on to the next person in line. So I think, I as most BCers is not a biblioholic - only a bibliophile. I can live with that! By the way, a few months ago, I trimmed my shelves and I think I got rid of around a half meter books I knew I would never read again - and it was not even very hard to do! So in that sense, I think I am quite normal and will not have to seek help. Yet.
Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 34 by Majosim from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Sunday, June 20, 2004

Mailed Lukutoukka, so it will soon be on it´s way to Finland.

Lukutuokka is on a vacation and can not answer until about a week from now. When I get the adress, I´ll send the book.

Journal Entry 35 by Majosim from Roskilde, Roskilde Amt Denmark on Friday, July 02, 2004

Sent to Lukutoukka in Finland on June the 30th.

Journal Entry 36 by Lukutoukka from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, July 02, 2004

I received Biblioholism today, thanks Majosim and MaryZee! :) I'm going to start reading it soon.

Journal Entry 37 by Lukutoukka from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, July 28, 2004

I finished reading "Biblioholism" today. It was hilarious, Raabe had some really good insights. The tests were nice, too, and it was great to get some advice in case I want to try bookposing some day. ;-D

Now the book is ready to continue its journey. I just have to ask next person's address first...

Journal Entry 38 by Lukutoukka from Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Friday, August 06, 2004

Sent to Talkland. Happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 39 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 28, 2004

I did go through a brief stage in my youth of about a year or so when I could probably be called a bibloholic but fortuately I discovered that the selfish pleasure hoarding of books is a pale thrill to sharing the experience and/or passing ones enjoyment on to another person. I do read excessively and actually go on book-buying binges [usually followed by a brief spell of abstinence].

The one way in which we bookcrossers differ in most respects is that we don't permanently hoarded books and that we love to pass on our pleasure of reading on to others. I did enjoy this book but I did find that though some did apply to me, alot didn't. I think we consume the story and love books excessively but don't have that selfish desire to keep this love to ourselves [it is hard sometimes though]. The really great thing about books is one can consume them over and over. Some of my favourite books I have bought, read, given away, bought again, read again, given away again many many times and that was before I discovered bookcrossing!

I am now ready to give this book away to the next person on the list...

Journal Entry 40 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 28, 2004

I am now ready to give this book away to the next person on the list...

Journal Entry 41 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, August 28, 2004

I am now ready to give this book away to the next person on the list...

Journal Entry 42 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Monday, October 04, 2004

arrived safe at my house

update:
What a funny book to read, some of the stories could be me!!!!!
All who loved to read should read this book.

Sent: October 11th 2004

Journal Entry 43 by nikel27 at Post Office in Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Released 13 yrs ago (10/18/2004 UTC) at Post Office in Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book!!

Journal Entry 44 by Constant-Reader from Lawrenceville, Georgia USA on Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Received this in the mail during the Christmas holidays. Sorry for holding up the list. Sending on to keeperdg as soon as I get her mailing address.

Journal Entry 45 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Monday, April 11, 2005

Arrived in Gilbert. Will begin reading today!

Journal Entry 46 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Sunday, April 24, 2005

Hysterical! Of course, I did not see myself in this book, ahem, as it focused on the more extreme biblioholics. I believe he should bring out a new edition with a section dedicated to bookcrossoholism. With that in place, this book would rate a 10.

Journal Entry 47 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Hulamonkey has asked to be skipped. Am PMing MrsOrdonez.

Journal Entry 48 by 16stepper at Bookray in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (6/15/2005 UTC) at Bookray in Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I am very late in sending this out. Going to Mrs. Ordonez with USPS tracking number: 910201052129755280503

Journal Entry 49 by mrsordonez from Fenton, Missouri USA on Monday, June 20, 2005

Arrived in the mail today. I've got a few books ahead of it, but will get to reading it as soon as possible. Thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 50 by mrsordonez from Fenton, Missouri USA on Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Although the premise was good, I found the book a bit superficial and repetitive. If I have to hear about Fast one more time.... Yes, he loved books, but aren't there any more examples than the small handful cited? I found that some of the passages did apply to me (like others ... getting books into the house). I read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves shortly before this one, and I found a stark contrast. Although the content was not exactly the same genre, I found a common theme of lovers of words and language. The difference in ESAL is that it is more factually-based. I guess I really didn't like the quizzes, lists, and made-up-timeline that Raabe included seemed to be just a space filler. I'll be mailing this out as soon as I get an address. A new BCer has also PM'ed me to ask how to join the ring, MaryZee, you should be hearing from him shortly (Denmark!).

Journal Entry 51 by wingJDTwing from Pleasanton, California USA on Saturday, August 06, 2005

Wow - a two year bookring!
The title, description, and chapter headings - a bit too close to home...

Looking forward to this one. Thanks to everyone before!

Journal Entry 52 by wingJDTwing from Pleasanton, California USA on Tuesday, August 09, 2005

OK, tell me if this is denial, but IMHO there's a substantial difference between a biblioholic and a bookcrosser.

I've always loved buying and reading books, bookstores, libraries - but like many of us - was attracted to BookCrossing as a way to de-clutter!

Now for me, as much as the enjoyment of buying and reading books - is the sheer joy of organizing, journaling, trading, releasing, RABCK surprising.

That miracle that is practically a life lesson: the more we give away, the more we seem to receive!

I liked the concept and chapter headings more than the whole book, but it was a lot of fun, laughing at myself.

Planning to pass on to caligula03 in person this evening at our local meet-up!

Journal Entry 53 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I think this was the second book ring I ever signed up for and it's finally here. Woohoo! :)

Journal Entry 54 by caligula03 from Hayward, California USA on Saturday, September 03, 2005

I enjoyed the book; it was worth the wait. From his descriptions of the various types, I seem to be readaholic (I think most BookCrossers are) and I'm married to a Scholar (as you'll see from the HUGE number of text books listed on my shelf). BookCrossing and a much smaller family budget has cured me of buying loads of books and I have been fairly good about the reading and releasing. The remaining problem is the free books that have found their way into my collection (for releasing, of course) via Craigslist and Freecycle. Ooof.

Journal Entry 55 by caligula03 at on Saturday, September 03, 2005

Released 12 yrs ago (9/16/2005 UTC) at

Mailing to Rendiru.

Journal Entry 56 by Rendiru from Carmichael, California USA on Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Yay! This arrived in today's mail. I just finished a book, so I can begin reading this right away. Excellent timing! :-)

Journal Entry 57 by Rendiru from Carmichael, California USA on Saturday, October 01, 2005

This was a fun, lighthearted book. It was a little redundant at times, but I enjoyed reading it.

I'll PM CestMoi and send it on its way ASAP.

Journal Entry 58 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 13, 2005

Today is my third bookcrossing anniversary so it was kind of fitting to receive this in the mail today, as well, it was registered almost 3 years ago!

What wonderful company this book has kept over the years, and I'm glad to be part of it.

Will journal again soon.

Journal Entry 59 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Thursday, November 03, 2005

I forgot to journal this and then mail it....

Anyway, like the other readers, I did find it repetitive about half way through but true biblioholic that I am, I couldn't stop reading it. I identified with alot of the chapters and even started discovering (gasp!) duplicate books on my shelves. How did they get there? Are my books multiplying in the night? Did someone sneak them on my shelves to make me look like an addict? Surely, I didn't forget I already owned a book..how could I? That would be like forgetting my own children....

Sending off to the next biblioholic tomorrow, I already have the address.

Enjoy.

Journal Entry 60 by raynebair from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Received this book a few days ago. I've started reading it and it's hilarious and so familiar. LOL!

I will be taking it with me on our Thanksgiving trip to FL so maybe I'll get it finished pretty quick. I'll post again when I'm done.

Journal Entry 61 by raynebair from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Almost done, but not quite. So far, this book is excellent. It's on my Christmas wishlist for my own copy. :)

Will send this on as soon as I'm done.

Journal Entry 62 by raynebair from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Finished...excellent book! Tootshelling asked to be skipped, so I'm waiting on an address from Cake2Eat. Will be mailing out probably next week if I get an address. I'll be out of town the rest of the week for the Christmas.

Journal Entry 63 by lynncobb from Portland, Oregon USA on Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Received in the mail, thanks raynebair!

Journal Entry 64 by lynncobb from Portland, Oregon USA on Monday, February 20, 2006

Chapter one page two, this is definitely me. And my children.
Though a little tedious at times, I greatly enjoyed reading this book.

Journal Entry 65 by OlysMom from Mountlake Terrace, Washington USA on Saturday, March 25, 2006

This came in the mail a day or so ago. Many thanks! Wow! This one's been far and wide. This is exactly what Bookcrossing is to me. I will tuck it lovingly at the top of my TBR, it looks really good! (and well, I've already peeked quite a lot)

Thanks to all

Journal Entry 66 by OlysMom from Mountlake Terrace, Washington USA on Thursday, June 29, 2006

Even though I tested very high in the "Are you a biblioholic" quiz, I don't think I identify with much of this book. I think just the willingness of BookCrossers to 'Read and Release' put us in a whole different catagory. Maybe if Raabe had added a chapter about book sharers like us...

I'm packaging this one up for Alrescate in Missouri. Happy journey little book, you've been so far already.

Journal Entry 67 by alrescate from Strafford, Missouri USA on Friday, July 07, 2006

I plucked this out of my mailbox last night! I can't wait to get started on it.

July 21, 2006
I just could not get into this book at all. I guess that while I may be a biblioholic, I'm not a great fan of Tom Raabe.

August, 29, 2006
I've tried many times to reach the next person on this ring but I haven't gotten a response. I've moved on to trying to contact the next person.

August 30, 2006
I got a response! I will mail this soon.

September 1, 2006
I'm mailing this off to Florida today.

Journal Entry 68 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Friday, September 15, 2006

I got this book yesterday and I already started. I expect to be done failry quickly as I just had my wisdom teeth pulled out and I am home resting. I am excited to see that I am not alone in my biblioholism. :o) I will update this entrey once I am done.

Alrescate, thank you for your thoughful postcard. I really appreciate it.

Journal Entry 69 by Ilios from Tampa, Florida USA on Monday, November 27, 2006

I apologize for having kept this book for so long. I finished reading it a while ago and didn't have a chance to journal it. I really had a good time reading it and recognizing myself in some passages. I absolutely loved the "Impenetrability Phrase Finder"! :o) And completely related with the "REading at work" section on page 157. It is tough when work interfere with your reading!

I will be mailing this book to the next BXer by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 70 by Ilios at US Post in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 10, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (12/7/2006 UTC) at US Post in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed out to next BXer a few days ago

Journal Entry 71 by kevlarsen from Batavia, New York USA on Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I actually signed up for this bookring 2 years ago!!! Anyway, it's nice to finally get the book. I'm not really a biblioholic any more, but I would like to look through it, and, of course, I put my name in the front cover like everyone else.

Journal Entry 72 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Wow, this much-loved book has finally made it home!

3 1/2 years, 30 journallers, 8 countries! I think this may be one for the record books! This is one of the first bookrings I sent out and it finally came home, and in pretty good condition too.

Thanks to Kevlarsen for sending this home, and thanks to everyone for continuing the bookring. I think I'm going to re-read it, patch it up a bit, and think about the next part of its journey.

6/8/2007 update - Met Cafekat for lunch today, and loaned this to her for a bit. After it comes back from visiting Glen Rock, I plan to put it in a bookbox I'm going to start.

Journal Entry 73 by cafekat from Rotonda West, Florida USA on Friday, June 08, 2007

MaryZee offered this book to me as we were having lunch today. I feel so very honored to have it in my possession. This book has 73 JEs already. I will read this as soon as I finish my current three reads and the book club selection for this month. Then we'll see if there are any takers here before I send it back to you. Thanks for allowing me to participate in its journey.

Enjoyed this book. Found alot of passages that could have been written about me (and many of my biblioholic friends). This was my "bedside" read for the past few nights and I found myself laughing out loud at times and nodding in agreement ALMOST constantly. Raabe's writing bothered me just a bit in that it appeared to me that he used unnecessarily big words simply for the sake of using big words. Maybe his next book should be titled
"Vocabularyholism" ??

On my way home to MaryZee.......

Journal Entry 74 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Friday, September 14, 2007

This arrived home again today. Looking forward to reading it again soon, and then including it in a bookbox later this fall. Glad you enjoyed it, CafeKat!

Journal Entry 75 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Thursday, December 20, 2007

I hardly ever re-read books. That said, five years after I originally read it, I enjoyed this book again. I suspect even more of this book has become true to me, since I'm sure BC has made me become even more of a biblioholic than ever before.

This book will soon be leaving home, off on new adventures. Thanks to everyone who's been a part of this book's journey so far.

Journal Entry 76 by wingJDTwing from Pleasanton, California USA on Thursday, December 20, 2007

What a treat to re-read the journal entries on this book that's traveled for 4-1/2 years and arrived safely back home!

And wishing the best to all the readers on this bookring list - some familiar names that brought me a warm smile!

Journal Entry 77 by wingmaryzeewing at Books about Books bookbox in Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, December 30, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (12/30/2007 UTC) at Books about Books bookbox in Bookbox, Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Releasing into my "Books about Books" bookbox.

Journal Entry 78 by wingelizardbreathwing from Bella Vista, Arkansas USA on Friday, February 01, 2008

Chosen from the box tonight.

Journal Entry 79 by wingelizardbreathwing at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (4/2/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This book was cute in parts...annoying in others. I didn't find the humor roll-on-the-floor funny...but it was ok. I related when the author was talking about walking into a bookstore and receiving, "stimulation of my intellectual curiosity". Just being in the presence of books makes me feel smart!

After reading through this, I realize that, unlike the author, I don't buy books because of the cover or just because they're on sale. I really do have intentions on reading most of what I buy---unless of course I'm buying to BookCross or fill my OBCZ! :) On the two quizzes toword the beginning I claimed 16 yes's and 75 points. I'm a goner! :) One thing about this book that bugged me was the author's over-use of the word, "tome". There have got to be several other words for "book"...I wonder if he has a thesaurus under all that mess??? :)

Releasing into the Well-Traveled Bookbox. This is probably one of the most journaled books I've made contact with!

Journal Entry 80 by Bluestocking88 from -- Wild released somewhere in the state, Washington USA on Friday, April 11, 2008

This book arrived in the Well Travelled Bookbox. I've spent enough time with it to know that I am a biblioholic, and I have a problem, but none of his cures will work for me. I think I'll plod along and stick with my bookbox obsession. I am going to return this to the Well Travelled Bookbox, but will enjoy watching its future travels.

Journal Entry 81 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Friday, April 25, 2008

This came to me in my Well Traveled Bookbox. Wow, this book has really traveled. I will read it and continue the book's journey!

Journal Entry 82 by guinaveve from Mason, Ohio USA on Sunday, June 22, 2008

I had as much fun reading all the journal entries for this book as I did reading the book itself! Like many others before me, I found myself in some of the passages, but couldn't click with other parts. I have always been an avid reader as long as I can remember, but after joining BookCrossing, I was buying and obtaining books like crazy. I bought them in lots to wild release, but found too many in each lot that I wanted to read first. I traded and bookringed through the mail. I was at the used bookstore a few times a week. Then one day, I looked around my house and realized, I don't need all of these books on hand. I only read one at a time and can read about 150 or so a year. I decided to sort through my books and pass along the ones I wasn't ever going to read and read the ones that I really intended to read. It took me over a year, and I did slip some new books into the TBR stack though I said I wouldn't, but I read every single one. Now I try to keep between 20-30 on hand, not counting my permanent collection. For me personally, I enjoy each book more without 200 in the wings, waiting to be read. It is easier to find something that really calls to me when I don't feel like I am overlooking books that have been there forever unread.
I am going to see if there enough interest to start another ring with this book. It is the most traveled BC book in my possession and the second most traveled book on my virtual BC shelf, but only in second by 4 or so journalers.

Journal Entry 83 by guinaveve at Colors Cafe in Mason, Ohio USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (10/29/2008 UTC) at Colors Cafe in Mason, Ohio USA

I am releasing this in a few days at the new OBCZ I am setting up at Colors Cafe in Mason, OH. Come in and check out the books. Colors also has great wraps, sandwiches, soups, other food, ice cream treats, coffee drinks, a candy store, and a play area for the little ones.

If you are the finder of this book, welcome to the site. Please make a journal entry so that I know it has been picked up and found. To do so is free and you can do it anonymously. You can read the book or not, keep it, pass it on to someone else you think might enjoy it, or leave it in a public place like I did.

Journal Entry 84 by wingColorsCafeMasonwing from Mason, Ohio USA on Wednesday, October 29, 2008

This is on the OBCZ shelf at Colors Cafe in Mason, OH. The cafe is on the corner of Snider Road and Tylersville Road.
Address:

Colors Cafe
5948 Snider Road
Mason, OH 45040

Journal Entry 85 by QueenCityAuthor from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 03, 2009

Found it on a book exchange shelf at Colors Cafe.

I started reading the book during lunch there with my girlfriend.
and read several passages to her that seemed to describe me to a T.
My collection has slowly become quite large, though i'm sure still pales in comparison to some.

Was so intrigued by the idea of the tracker I took it home to read and and to add this latest journal entry.

I was also interested to see that the ring did complete. When i read the first couple of entries i thought perhaps it went astray somewhere, and i was curious where it had done so.

Its quite a thought to think of this globe traveling book in my hands. I feel i can sense you reading and laughing and remarking how some parts are true and some are less so. But that we now all have this same shared experience.

So now I must think of a grand plan for this well read book. Theres an exchange shelf at my favorite coffee shop, and perhaps one day i will release some there, but i think that this one needs something a little better.

So while i finish the book i will be coming up with my grand plan.

Journal Entry 86 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Sunday, January 04, 2009

Hello everyone~!
I wonder if this is the longest "active" book in bookcrossing? Wouldn't it be cool to find out?

Journal Entry 87 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Sunday, May 03, 2009

Found outside of the Library of Congress.
Read it on the national mall that afternoon, released it nearby in a weather protected area.

CAUGHT IN WASHINGTON DC DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA USA

Journal Entry 88 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Fairbanks, Alaska USA on Monday, February 13, 2012

Found on campus at the University of Alaska.
Released at a take a book leave a book exchange in town.