corner corner The Violent Bear It Away

The Violent Bear It Away
by Flannery O'Connor | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingPanzeranziwing of Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, March 11, 2006

status (set by hetku77): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingPanzeranziwing from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Saturday, March 11, 2006

"First published in 1955, "The Violent Bear It Away is now a landmark in American literature. It is a dark and absorbing example of the Gothic sensibility and bracing satirical voice that are united in Flannery O'Conner's work. In it, the orphaned Francis Marion Tarwater and his cousins, the schoolteacher Rayber, defy the prophecy of their dead uncle--that Tarwater will become a prophet and will baptize Rayber's young son, Bishop. A series of struggles ensues: Tarwater fights an internal battle against his innate faith and the voices calling him to be a prophet while Rayber tries to draw Tarwater into a more "reasonable" modern world. Both wrestle with the legacy of their dead relatives and lay claim to Bishop's soul.
O'Connor observes all this with an astonishing combination of irony and compassion, humor and pathos. The result is a novel whose range and depth reveal a brilliant and innovative writers acutely alert to where the sacred lives and to where it does not."

#452 "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die"

Journal Entry 2 by Alvhyttan from Nora, Västmanland Sweden on Saturday, July 15, 2006

Fick boken på BC-träffen i Örebro och ser fram emot att läsa den.
Tack snälla Panzeranzi! :)

Journal Entry 3 by Alvhyttan from Nora, Västmanland Sweden on Monday, September 08, 2008

I read more then half of this book a long time ago and now I finally finished it. I don't have much to say about this book, sometimes I found it interesting but often a bit difficult and boring.
I'll send it on soon.

Journal Entry 4 by mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Friday, June 24, 2011

From Alvhyttan!

Journal Entry 5 by mariabokmal at Malmö, Skåne Sweden on Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A sort of strange book, very focused on religion (baptizing and prophetizing). I'm not all that sure that I understood it the way the author intended it. But the language is strong and compells you to keep reading and to find out where the strange characters are going.

Journal Entry 6 by mariabokmal at Kullzenska cafet in Kalmar, Småland Sweden on Monday, May 07, 2012

Released 2 yrs ago (5/7/2012 UTC) at Kullzenska cafet in Kalmar, Småland Sweden

Tas med på BC-träff!

Journal Entry 7 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Kunde inte motstå!

Journal Entry 8 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Friday, March 08, 2013

Det tog mig ett tag att komma in i den, men åh så tragisk och intressant!

Journal Entry 9 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Sunday, March 10, 2013

Released 1 yr ago (3/10/2013 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

I hope you think it as interesting as I did!

Journal Entry 10 by winghetku77wing at Nokia, Pirkanmaa Finland on Thursday, March 14, 2013

14.3.2013 The book arrived by mail yesterday. Thank you for fulfilling my wish, Deepswamp!