corner corner The Dress Lodger *** JOIN THIS BOOKRAY******

by Sheri Holman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Bug007 of Duluth, Minnesota USA on 11/21/2002

status (set by Shwooz): to be read

Previous  1 2

Journal Entry 101 by Iagegu from Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, February 26, 2010

Received this book today thank you. I am in the middle of quite a thick book but will get around to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 102 by Iagegu at Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 27, 2010

Contacted the next person on the list for their address.

Journal Entry 103 by Iagegu at Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (7/6/2010 UTC) at Preston, Lancashire United Kingdom

Released Friday 2nd July 2010 to next person on list. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 104 by bearyfriend at Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Thursday, July 08, 2010

Got it, thanks.

Journal Entry 105 by bearyfriend at Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Heart-gripping and eye-opening read about the history of anatomy and the cholera pandemic in old England. Sad life Gustine, Eye and Pink have. Though there are some parts that are quite confusing because of the narrating style, but I still enjoyed reading it, as I want to see miracle for the baby, Gustine or even Pink. Now I know what this statement in the front page meant "Grave: A Place where the dead are laid to await the coming of the medical student" by Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary.

Journal Entry 106 by bearyfriend at Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Saturday, July 17, 2010

I've received an add and will send book off on Monday to the next reader. I'll set the status as travelling in advance. Book will travel via Air on Monday.

Update 04-Sep: I'm getting worried whether this book has reached Australia. Sent it via Air on the 19-Jul, hope it will arrived soon, within this month hopefully.

Journal Entry 107 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, September 09, 2010

What a relief! The Dress Lodger has arrived in Australia :-)

There was no indication why it had taken so long! Last week when I picked up a few other books it wasn't there. Although, there was a new person working at the Post Office Agency and they found two books that were addressed to me when I only had a notification for one. So maybe it had been sitting at my PO Agency all along - grrr.

I've got a few bookrings here at the moment and at least one other to go to FoxygirlACT next, so I might finish reading all the ones to go to her and pass them on in a job lot!
Looking forward to it, I skimmed across the first few parargraphs and I like it already.

Thanks to Bearyfriend for sending it - breath easy now my friend :-)

Journal Entry 108 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, September 19, 2010

I really enjoyed this! Great Historical Fiction! I really enjoy learning about something that I didn't really know much about and the onset of the first cholera epidemic in England was something I hadn't read about before at all.
I found the characters to be almost Dickens-like and fairly well fleshed out. The writing really placed you there but also sets the reader up like a fly-on the wall.
I haven't read the reader's guide yet but that will be the next thing I do.
I've got another book to read that is for FoxygirlACT and then I hope to send both books together to her. Still waiting on a response from a PM I sent her a week ago. I'll try to contact her again.

25 September 2010- I took this to the Canberra Bookcrossing meet-up at Floriade, hoping that FoxygirlACT might be there, however, Skyring picked it up and is interested in reading it- so it is having a hiatus with him for a while- he will either try to contact FoxygirlACT, give it back to me or contact the next person on the list when he is finished with it.
PS uploaded photo was taken at Floriade

Journal Entry 109 by skyring at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, September 25, 2010

This book was registered a few weeks before I signed aboard the good ship BookCrossing.com. It's been a fantastic journey for us both.

I'm to read this book and pass it on to FoxyGirlACT. Aye aye, Ma'am!

Oh yeah. I read Sheri's The Mammoth Cheese not too long ago and enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 110 by skyring at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, October 05, 2010

An interesting contrast to The Mammoth Cheese by Ms Holman. I also liked the interview conducted by Mr Liss at the end of the book, where Sheri talks about the background and the writing.

This is an odd book in almost every way. The characters are gruesome and diverse. Deformed, depraved, desperate. The setting is squalid. The plot is disturbing and confronting.

And the narrative style is ... different. The author makes some comments on this at the end, but for the first few pages at least it is a little unsettling. In keeping with the theme of the book.

However, it works, and the occasional "foregrounding" of the storyteller distracts the reader, in a book where distraction is sometimes welcome.

This is a book which engages the senses. All of them. Feel the mud of the river bank and the chill of the water. The smells alone almost require a lavender-scented kerchief held against the nose. And who cannot see the eerie glow in the gloom of the lodging-house as Pink snuffs the glim to show a visitor something.

The setting is Sunderland, England, early in the Victorian era. We walk in the filthy lanes, tread warily in the grander streets, and visit the varied workplaces, lodgings and entertainments of the poor. The poverty hits us hard. Who amongst we cossetted children of the modern age could survive in such conditions? It would be far more a struggle than the characters of this novel find it, and they find it very hard indeed.

The promises of engineering, medicine and science, not to mention reform politics, are faint in this time. All of these are in the hands of the powerful, and they are hardly keen to hand out riches and rewards. Not unless there is another promise. A promise of improved efficiency or profit. Cure the disease and the workers will remain hard at work. If they live longer, they work longer.

We look, thanks to the curious narrative style of this novel, directly into the thoughts of the major characters, and a fascinating view it is. They have their various obsessions and objectives, and there is plenty of room for conflict and confusion. Oh boy!

It all flows along, gathering pace nicely, though perhaps "nicely" is not a word to describe the plot or the setting or the characters. There's really only one character who is anywhere "nice", and well, you'll just have to read to find out what happens.

All told, it is a fascinating look into a neglected sliver of time and space. The curious narrative style extends the view through both in many directions, so we readers are in context throughout. Contexted, but not contented. This is not a book for a pleasant reading session!

But, having said that, if you get through the first chapter or so, you'll likely continue reading, out of morbid fascination at least!

Glad to have been a link in such a long chain of readers. This book is off to FoxyGirlACT next, which is perhaps appropriate, given the animal subthemes of the novel1

Journal Entry 111 by foxygirlACT at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, October 07, 2010

Receieved this in the post a few days ago and have started reading...so far so good :-) Hopefully I can finish quickly and then send onto the next person

thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 112 by foxygirlACT at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, November 07, 2010

I found the story very interesting, particularly the medical world and what people thought of doctors and what doctors thought of the poor. Sometimes though it took a while to get through the individual chapters, but overall I found it an interesting read.

Will send on to the next person as soon as I receive their address

Journal Entry 113 by foxygirlACT at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, December 03, 2010

Released 6 yrs ago (12/3/2010 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Sorry for the delay...sending book today

Journal Entry 114 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, December 20, 2010

Got it! Added (carefully - it's well travelled) to the next up TBR pile. Will j/e again when i start it.

Journal Entry 115 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Starting this book and PM'g the next in line. Readathon time - this will help :-)

Journal Entry 116 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, January 01, 2011

Read the conversation in the back, then since I haven't heard from the next in line, I held on starting to read it so it would be the FIRST 1/1/11 book for me :-) Will PM again.

Journal Entry 117 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, January 07, 2011

Have heard from next in line, so bumping up in reading speed. Definitely not for the faint of heart, as stated in one j/e. A bit plodding at first with the changing narration voices - and trying to figure out why all the pieces are being told, but now picking up.

Hoping to finish and get in the mail by next Saturday, when I have a post office driver (piece-meal drivers this week due to some folks being on holiday & me not able to drive post injury....again)

Journal Entry 118 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, January 10, 2011

Ray - very hard book to read. Contemporay writer, writing in the style of Dickens about just before the cholera epidemic in Sunderland UK, with a lot of sorry souls and downtrodden misery written about in exquisite detail. I finally skimmed the book about 1/2 way through, pausing to fully read some passages, because it was so depressing.

I have the next reader's address, so will go out this week.

Journal Entry 119 by wingNancyNovawing at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/11/2011 UTC) at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA

Enjoy this ray!

Journal Entry 120 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Arrived today. I have one bookring ahead of this one but will be starting it shortly. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 121 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Monday, January 31, 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Yes, it was often disturbing. And sometimes depressing. And yes, many of the characters were depraved. And completely unsympathetic. But that said, I found it fascinating. Not only the morbidity of it all, but even the way in which is was written. It was if the "Dear Reader" method (also used by Dickens) drew me into the story in a way a standard narration may not have. The detail was so rich that I felt myself slipping into the world of 19th Century Britain. As one reader wrote (way back in 2003 when this book was first starting its journey), "After wading through the muck with Gustine & her cohorts, I felt unbelievably lucky and wealthy to have a hot shower every day...and only two people in my...bed."

Will send along to the next reader as soon as I have contact info.

Journal Entry 122 by StinaRy at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (1/31/2011 UTC) at Bloomfield, New Jersey USA

Sent to next reader.

Journal Entry 123 by mhs160 at West Chester, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, February 06, 2011

I received the book in the mail yesterday. It's next on my ring/ray TBR list. Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 124 by mhs160 at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Saturday, May 07, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (5/7/2011 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

After several attempts, I just couldn't get into this book. Thanks for sharing. Sending on to the next reader guinaveve.

Journal Entry 125 by guinaveve at Mason, Ohio USA on Sunday, May 15, 2011

I received this Friday, and am starting it right now. I am also PMing the next participant so I will know where it goes after me.

Journal Entry 126 by guinaveve at Mason, Ohio USA on Sunday, May 22, 2011

This is a gripping story with intriguing characters. I found the whole body snatching aspect interesting as I have recently read "Stiff, The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach.

Journal Entry 127 by devon612 at Sanford, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Rec'd last week, reading now.

9/10/11
Trying to reach BSAChris for an address. Will skip if I don't hear back within the week.

10/9/11
Sorry it's been more than a week, but I never heard from BSAChris, sent a PM to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 128 by devon612 at Sanford, Florida USA on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sending to SonnySnail.

Journal Entry 129 by SonnySnail at Plainsboro, New Jersey USA on Friday, December 09, 2011

Just arrived on my doorstep today! The package looks kind of battered (the book is okay!) so I think it may have been lost. Thanks for sending it, devon612, and I look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 130 by SonnySnail at Plainsboro, New Jersey USA on Sunday, February 26, 2012

Finished today! I quite enjoyed this book - I liked the way my perceptions of the characters shifted over the course of the story. It's also a good antidote to any "I wished I lived way back when" feelings that may occur. :)

I've contacted Haugtussa for the book's next stop.

Journal Entry 131 by SonnySnail at by Post, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (3/16/2012 UTC) at by Post, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Finally in the post on its way to Haugtussa!

Journal Entry 132 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Tuesday, March 20, 2012

This well travelled book arrived Stavanger on a rainy day, not very unusal - as it tends to rain a lot here.
I've got a few rings a head of it, but will get to it soonish.

Journal Entry 133 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Friday, May 18, 2012

What to say?
I've struggled, and that is actually quite strange as the story quite intruiged me.

But there was something about the style of writing that did not get to me, especially when Holman communicates directly to the reader. As if she tries to explain certain aspects of the story.

The book will on when I've got the next readers address.

Journal Entry 134 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Haugtussa, it was so good to meet you in London, the book arrived safely today. I am reading a long book at the moment but I'm sure I can fit this one in the middle somewhere.

Journal Entry 135 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Just finished and will send to Belgium tomorrow. Overall I really enjoyed it, the writing style initially slowed me up but once I grew accustomed to it I was fine. It gave a great sense of the period and the conditions endured by the poor of the city but somehow apart from geographical reference I didn't quite feel that it was necessarily set in the north of England as any indication of the northern accent was completely missing. But perhaps that was deliberate as an American author would certainly struggle with this and would then be open to even great criticism. I was reading this side by side with 'This Thing of Darkness' by Harry Thompson, both set in the 1830's, one at sea and the other on dry land; they made for a very interesting overlap of the period. Well worth reading. The book is still in good condition although obvious that many have read it, hopefully it will continue through many more hands.

Journal Entry 136 by wingCassiopaeiawing at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (6/13/2012 UTC) at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom

Read and Release at BookCrossing.com...
In the post to Moriquen.
Posted on 14th June 2012.

Journal Entry 137 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Dress Lodger arrived safe and sound. Thanks for sending it my way!

Journal Entry 138 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Although the story in itself isn't bad, it fails to impress me completely. It oozes grime and filth we find difficult to imagine, but sometimes it seems that is all the book is about. Dr. Chiver sometimes feels like a side character while he isn't supposed to be. The 'us' voice Holman uses is unreal and confusing, it is way too etheric for a story that is so utterly down to earth.
In short: it had every element to be a book I could have loved, but it didn't deliver.
Thanks for sharing it with me, I will contact the next person on the list!

Journal Entry 139 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, July 20, 2012

Released 5 yrs ago (7/20/2012 UTC) at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

This book is on its way to the next participant. I hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 140 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Thursday, July 26, 2012

The book arrived safe and sound in today`s mail.

Thank you, perryfan, for another of your bookrings.

And thank you, Moriquen, for posting.

Journal Entry 141 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Tuesday, August 28, 2012

At the moment I am in the first half of the book but I will finish it till the beginning of the following week.

Journal Entry 142 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Tuesday, September 04, 2012

The language is rich and dark, lush like a primeval garden, yet spare like the cholera-stricken Sunderland it portrays. This is no genre novel. If you love mysteries, fantastic realism and language like a fog, this is for you.

Posting the book to the next reader as soon as I get an postal address.

Journal Entry 143 by Simson-Shilitoe at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (9/6/2012 UTC) at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Now travelling ....

Journal Entry 144 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, September 17, 2012

This book has safely arrived in New Zealand. Thanks everyone for keeping this bookray going.

Journal Entry 145 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, October 09, 2012

I found this book gripped my attention right away, and I was drawn into a word of dirt and disease.

I enjoyed the book very much, and felt like I really had been transported into the era. I lost a bit of interest towards the end, perhaps because I put the book down and the atmosphere disipated between readings.

I've contacted the next reader, and will pass on the book in person as we live in the same city.

Journal Entry 146 by kiwiinengland at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (10/18/2012 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

I am catching up with EdwardStreet this afternoon and will pass the book on then.

Journal Entry 147 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, October 18, 2012

Collected from Kiwi - will read and pass along asap

Journal Entry 148 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Sunday, October 21, 2012

A very evocative read. The author captures the grim poverty of the English poor in a style of writing akin to Dickens.
This book rewards persistence. I will post this as soon as the next person advises their address.

Journal Entry 149 by wingEdwardstreetwing at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (10/24/2012 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Onto the next person in this long ray

Journal Entry 150 by gaboyd at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, October 26, 2012

Recieved today, with thanks.

Journal Entry 151 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 10, 2012

There was a knock on the front door and I found the mail lady holding out a small box for me. Thank you gaboyd for posting me the book. I am the 60th reader for this well travelled book - WOW!
I checked the statistics. This is the TWENTIETH most travelled book.

Journal Entry 152 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Released 4 yrs ago (12/29/2012 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

At first I didn't like this book, and had to persevere for about 40 or 50 pages before I changed my mind. That was when the story drew me in.
It is a gripping story of the poverty, filth and disease of Sutherland, England in the early 1800s, and of the ignorant population. That was one of the things that registered with me most; the ignorance and lack of education of the population. I'm pleased I persevered; I would have missed out on a good story otherwise.
I have Cat207's address and will post it when I can next get to a post office. Monday with any luck.

2nd January 2013: I got to the post office today and the book is now posted. Cat207, I hope you enjoy the read as much as I did. If the first few pages don't grip you, just stick with the story. It improves and is a good story.

Journal Entry 153 by cat207 at Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Monday, January 07, 2013

Collected from the post office this morning - I've been away for a few weeks. Thank you goldenwattle for sending it to me, and perryfran for continuing the travels of this much read book. I don't know how I managed to miss it in the past.

Journal Entry 154 by cat207 at Gladstone, Queensland Australia on Friday, January 25, 2013

I found the constant history lessons in the start of the book annoying, but I think it was a great way to set the scene.

I've been researching family history and some hail from Bishopwearmouth and Monkwearmouth. That made the history lessons more appreciated.

Waiting for an address for Shwooz, then will get this in the mail. Thanks for including me in the bookray.

Journal Entry 155 by Shwooz at Menominee, Michigan USA on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I didn't realize I had this book till a couple weeks ago. I'm about 1/2 way done with it and it will be on its way. With a newborn in the house things have been hectic!

Previous  1 2