corner corner Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day
by David Sedaris | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by sasscass79 of Indianapolis, Indiana USA on 3/7/2006

status (set by silvia-pco): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by sasscass79 from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I bought this at my local library sale.

Journal Entry 2 by sasscass79 from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A friend of mine hated this book, with a passion. I loved it. To each their own. I loved the parts in France and learning another language and the helplessness involved in that. I can so relate to that. I lived in Germany for about 5 months and many other locations that the language was completely out of my reach, despite my best efforts. There is no other quite so humbling experience when toddlers speak better and more languages than you, at times even your own language.
I also shared the experience of hating and sticking up for your fellow Americans was a common occurence on my travels. Lets face it. We have problems. And I'll admit that a lot of American policy and attitudes I do not agree with, but on the other hand, this is my country. And when abroad, there is no other time when you crave fellow American to speak english with and not feel like a fool while speaking it.

Very funny book.

Journal Entry 3 by sasscass79 from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Monday, June 05, 2006

As usual when I finish reading a book, I look who has it on their wish lists. Since there are so many people who wants it, I have decided to start my very fist bookray. :)

Rules of this bookray:

1. When you receive the book please ensure that you journal it and contact the next person on the list to receive their address.

2. Read it as soon as you can if you think you are going to take longer than 4 weeks Pm me and we can move it along.

3. When you've finished reading it, make a journal entry and send it on its way.

4. If no response is received after two attempts, contact me and then next person on the list.

5. Enjoy!

I hope this goes well!

Journal Entry 4 by sasscass79 from Indianapolis, Indiana USA on Thursday, June 15, 2006

Why didn't I start doing bookrays earlier. I can't wait to hear what everyone thinks about this book.
Please refer back to my bookshelf page to know who is next on the list.
This book is on it's way to olered.

Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 5 by olered from Salem, Oregon USA on Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The book has arrived in Oregon. I've wanted to read this one...thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by olered from Salem, Oregon USA on Friday, August 18, 2006

Parts of this were very funny but I just happen to prefer 'stories' not bits and pieces of the authors life. It was bad timing for me to be reading this with a three week vacation to prepare and go on - a very sick cat and various other life things happening. Apologize for the lenth of time I kept the book. Am posting it today.

Journal Entry 7 by surfenkitten from Audubon, New Jersey USA on Monday, September 04, 2006

received in the mail awhile ago, sorry it took me awhile to journal! i'm in the middle of another book right now, nearing the end, but this will be next as soon as i'm finished.

Journal Entry 8 by surfenkitten from Audubon, New Jersey USA on Monday, September 11, 2006

funny book. i loved how sedaris really saw who he was and how HE made the decisions in life--in a lot of autobiographies the authors will blame their upbringings, families, past lovers, etc. to explain why they are the way they are. sedaris just tells it like it is! i also thought it was refreshing how he didn't make a big deal about being gay--its just another part of who he is.

pming katekintail (i think...will double check :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, November 13, 2006

Got this in the mail just today! I'm excited :-)
I will move it to the top of my To Be Read pile and start on it ASAP!
Had an awful day at work today, so this was a much-needed surprise when I got home and checked the mailbox today. Thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 02, 2006

Oh, how I love BookCrossing! I heard about this book on a recommendation thread and feel very fortunate that I got a chance to read it in this bookring. I don't usually read many memoirs or humor books, so it was great to have a chance to break out of my usual reading habits. I've heard parts of David's pieces on NPR a few times and have seen his sister Amy on tv/in moves but this was the first book I've read of his. And now I'm definitely interested in tracking down David's other books :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and laughed harder than I have in a long while. In fact, I was reading this while sitting in the waiting room before a dentist appointment and unfortunately got to the portion involving his French classes. I actually had to put the book down because I was cracking up and people were starting to notice my restrained laughter and watering eyes.

I found the all subject matter hilarious, true to life, and quite enjoyable. I really liked his style and technique. And I just loved getting into his head and reading about the twists and turns of his life.

Thanks again for the bookring! I'll be mailing it out to Morgail on Monday.

Journal Entry 11 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Mailed out today to Morgail to continue its adventures.

Journal Entry 12 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Sunday, December 10, 2006

Yay! I can't wait to start reading this.

Journal Entry 13 by Morgail from Louisville, Kentucky USA on Monday, January 08, 2007

I loved this book! Some of the stories had me cracking up - especially the one in which the students in French class were trying to explain the concept of Easter to the Muslim student in their broken French ("He nice, the Jesus."). The story about pets - the author's cat and his father's dog - was both funny and sad. I actually found myself giggling through tears while reading that one.

Sending to piemunga on 1/22/07.

Journal Entry 14 by piemunga from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, February 04, 2007

thanks! i received this on friday. i have 2 bookrings in front of it but i'll get to it asap since i've had it recommended to me so many times!

Journal Entry 15 by piemunga from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, March 14, 2007

I loved this book. thanks so much for sharing it!

...waiting on address to send it on...

Journal Entry 16 by piemunga at postal release in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 19, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (3/19/2007 UTC) at postal release in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia -- Controlled Releases

posting off to Elsita in Portugal today!

enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I was sick for a while and today, when I finally returned home, found this book waiting for me. And with a postcard from Sydney! Thanks, piemunga!

Journal Entry 18 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Thursday, April 26, 2007

I'm almost finishing the book and contacted Antheras, which asked to be skipped of the ray. As she's the last one on the bookray list, what should I do now?!

Journal Entry 19 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A great laugh! Love the way americans interact with people from other countries and Sedaris described that very well.

As I'm the last one of the ray, I'll try to make another one in Portugal. Let's see if there's anyone who would like to read this, too? Wish me luck!

Journal Entry 20 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Wednesday, May 02, 2007

So, the book it's going to be out in another bookray!
Here's the list of participants:

1* micazy
2* BettyBoekwurm
3* Dukesa
4* Virgulina (not a bc anymore)
5* silvia-pco<--- it's here

The last one has the duty to pass the book along to someone else, release it or even make another ray!

Journal Entry 21 by micazy from Costa da Caparica, Setúbal Portugal on Thursday, June 21, 2007

In my hands :) Thanks, Elsita!

Journal Entry 22 by micazy from Costa da Caparica, Setúbal Portugal on Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sorry for taking so long, but a lot of bookrings arrived at the same time.

I'm glad I finally made it. Had so much fun reading this book! It's just real life without hidden thoughts.

23 Nov - BettyBoekwurm doesn't answer my pm's.
26 Nov - Silvia-pco, Dukesa and Virgulina don't want to read it now.
29 Nov - It seems that BettyBoekwurm PM's got lost in the web but I finally received her address. I will send her the book as soon as possible.
05 dez - Travelling to BettyBoekwurm

Journal Entry 23 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Friday, December 14, 2007

Arrived! Thanks.

Journal Entry 24 by BettyBoekwurm from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, February 18, 2008

I started reading this book without much interest, but after a coulpe of pages I was laughing out loud and ended up reading it almost in one sitting.

I'd never read anything by Sedaris, but this was definetely a great introduction to his sense of humour.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent to Dukesa on 14th Feb.

Journal Entry 25 by Dukesa from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I received it today :) Thank you, Elsita and BettyBoekwurm :) I'll read it as soon as possible, but it may take a while... I have a couple of bookrings to read and I'm a slow reader, especially in english. If you find that I'm taking too long, PM me :)

Journal Entry 26 by Dukesa from Lisboa (city), Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Friday, May 16, 2008

I was very afraid of reading this book. I recently read Naked Pictures of Famous People from Jon Stewart, a great comedian (I love the Daily Show!) and it was a great disappointment for me... I didn't get most of the jokes, maybe because I'm not American, so it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.

But that was definitely not the case of this book! It's a great book! :D It's not hilarious, but it's very funny! The part I loved the most was the explaining of Easter to the Muslim student, that one made me laugh out loud! :P

I'm looking forward to read more of David Sedaris' books :)

Virgulina left BC, so she doesn't want to receive the book. I already contacted silvia-pco and I'm waiting for her to reply me.

------------------- 04/06/2008-------------------
Sent today to silvia-pco. I hope you like it ;)

Journal Entry 27 by silvia-pco from Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, June 23, 2008

And here it is!