corner corner Dime Store Magic : Women of the Otherworld

Dime Store Magic : Women of the Otherworld
by Kelley Armstrong | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by midwinter of Tucson, Arizona USA on 3/2/2006

status (set by midwinter): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, March 02, 2006

From Publishers Weekly
Unlike the Wizard of Oz, the witches in this sexy supernatural romance, including the murdered mother of 23-year-old heroine Paige Winterbourne, are not evil entities inhabiting a fairy tale land. They're an ages-old race of women so frightened by the possibility of exposure and endangerment that they've allowed their magical powers to atrophy. When Paige inherits her mom's mantle as Coven leader, however, she also inherits caretaking responsibility of Savannah Levine, an extremely gifted but rebellious 13-year-old who possesses her dead mother's penchant for dark magic-and for attracting the unwanted attention of darker magical beings (including Savannah's long-lost sorcerer father). The only person Paige can depend on is the one person she doesn't want to associate with: Lucas Cortez, an endearingly nerdy lawyer/sorcerer ("It was a sad world when a witch had to rely on a work-starved sorcerer for help"). As in Armstrong's debut novel Bitten, this story's special strength lies in its seamless incorporation of the supernatural into the real world. A convincing small-town setting, clever contemporary dialogue, compelling characterizations and a touch of cool humor make the tale's occasional vivid violence palatable and its fantasy elements both gripping and believable.

Journal Entry 2 by midwinter at Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, November 07, 2016

This is the second book I've read by Kelley Armstrong and I'm still ambivalent towards her stories. I remember all my friends snatching up her books as soon as they were published, but I'm not that enthusiastic. The writing is great and it's an interesting world she's building, but I guess it's not my flavor of urban fantasy. Jim Butcher and Kim Harrison are more my speed.

Journal Entry 3 by midwinter at Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, September 18, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (9/18/2017 UTC) at Tucson, Arizona USA

Donating to the Friends of the Library for their booksale.