corner corner A Spectacle of Corruption : A Novel

A Spectacle of Corruption : A Novel
by David Liss | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by WestofMars of Mars, Pennsylvania USA on 2/22/2006

status (set by WestofMars): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I bought this for my westofmars.com road crew to pass around among us and review. Hopefully as they read it, they'll post their reviews here (hint!).

More from me once I've read this; I want to get it moving first.

Journal Entry 2 by morsecode from Buffalo, New York USA on Monday, May 01, 2006

This book arrived safe and sound in Buffalo today!
I have a couple of review assignments pending, but I hope to get to this one soon!

Journal Entry 3 by morsecode from Buffalo, New York USA on Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I finally had a chance to finish this book.

Our favorite 18th Century boxer turned private investigator, Benjamin Weaver is back by popular demand. In his latest historical novel, Liss has turned his focus from the Jewish community and financial market to the "spectacle of corruption" that is politics

Like Conspiracy of Paper, Spectacle of Corruption is full of murder and intrigue (and a little history lesson for us readers). However, this time it's Weaver himself who has been accused (and convicted!) of murder. More than ever, Weaver's life depends on the speed and accuracy of his sleuthing skills. After being sentenced to death, Weaver escapes from Newgate Prison. With a one hundred fifty pound bounty on his head, he is forced to create a new persona for himself while he works to clear his name. As Matthew Evans, a tobacco plantation owner lately returned from Jamaica, Weaver is able to insinuate himself with the people he believes responsible for his false conviction. However, the more he uncovers the more Weaver comes to realize that he is just a pawn in an elaborate political game. It's an election year. The Tories and Whigs are fighting it out in the polls and the Jacobites are plotting to overthrow the throne. But, who is willing to kill for their cause? And why have they pinned the murder(s) on him?

Conspiracy of Paper is another wild ride through 18th Century London in all its grit and all its glory. Liss has created another first-class historical novel: well-researched and executed. One can't help but wonder what Weaver and Liss will do next.

Note this is a bit of a spoiler:
As a reader I am completely confused by Miriam's character. In Conspiracy of Paper it seemed that what she wanted most in life was independence (particularly financial independence). So why would she marry someone and let him use up all of her money? It makes no sense at all. I guess the case could be made that it was the price she had to pay to become part of English society. However, with her crazy jealous husband and the way society treated women in general, she doesn't really have much more freedom (of movement, etc) in English society than she did in the Jewish community.

I'll be passing this book on to another member of the Road Crew this weekend :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 28, 2006

received from Morsecode at the Buffalo Meet-Up. I will wait until I read A Conspiracy of Paper before reading this

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Saturday, October 28, 2006

I enjoyed this sequel to Conspiracy of Paper. Benjamin Weaver is an interesting investigator. The history involved in this book was not as involved but just as interesting, politics in 18th century London. I do love how Weaver involves other people and resolves his problems. My favourite character from Conspiracy,Elias, was not as prevalent but still very good at coming up with solutions to Weaver's questions.

I agree with Morsecode about Miriam. She was a complete sellout to her race and ends up with less rather than more

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, November 19, 2006

Mailed today after a long visit to my place. Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 7 by WestofMars from Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Oh, I wish we'd been able to get the Road Crew project together (I guess we'll just have to come up with another, better idea!). But at least now I get to read this! Yay!!

Journal Entry 8 by WestofMars at Mars, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, May 06, 2013

Wow, this has been here for so long, I'd forgotten about the West of Mars road crew. It was a good idea. Maybe I ought to revive it and tweak it.

Anyway, about the book... I somehow wound up with a second copy and read that one first. It was ... okay. Not as good as the first Weaver. I'm starting to think I may not be as big a David Liss fan as I'd hoped I would be.

Since it's a Jewish-themed book, and since my book club read the first, I'll offer this to them before sending it out on other travels.