corner corner The Food Chain

The Food Chain
by Geoff Nicholson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by legbamel of Fargo, North Dakota USA on Saturday, February 25, 2006

status (set by Lorelei03): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by legbamel from Fargo, North Dakota USA on Saturday, February 25, 2006

This was quite an interesting little book, if not a stellar literary feast. I liked it a great deal although there were a few parts that made me feel a little squeamish. It really isn't particularly graphic about sex or violence, though. It's about a secret society that may or may not involve cannibals. Curious? There are only two other copies registered on the site and neither of those has moved for 3 years. In honor of having registered over 100 books (finally!) I'm sending this one off to Germany as a RABCK (or an ABCK, as it isn't really random).

Journal Entry 2 by legbamel at postal release in To a bookcrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 10, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (3/10/2006 UTC) at postal release in To a bookcrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

My "100 Books Registered" RABCK off in the mail to Germany today. They tell me it'll be about 2 weeks, but...;)

And WOW is he a better bookray organizer than I am. I'm so excited that the book will be travelling to so many places. I'll practically be able to wave "Hello! to it when it's in St. Louis Park, MN. :D

Journal Entry 3 by book-man-8 from Tübingen, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Thursday, April 27, 2006

I got it today. It took nearly 7 (seven) weeks and not 2, as they told legbamel when she sent it. But it is here and that's the main thing...

Edit May 31: A strange book. With a lot of food - strange food - eating and even some sex. It's sometimes on the edge of being disgusting, but just on the edge... You cannot stop reading, wanting to know how it goes on. Even if it was clear to me - after only a few pages - where that story was leading...

More people should read this book! I'll see what I can do... Well, the bookray for this one is taking shape. The following bookcrossers are taking part in this one:

"Semming" from Vantaa, Uusimaa, Finland (Europe)
"ThursdayN" from Göteborg, Västergötland, Sweden (intn'l, surface)
"Drusillamac" from Glasgow, United Kingdom (UK, int'l: surface mail)
"pumpkin-head" from Glasgow, United Kingdom (UK, Europe, int'l if necessary)
"Elsita" from Almada, Portugal (intn'l)
"PrincessPeach" from Federicton, New Brunswick, Canada (Canada, USA)
"darkpunkangel" from Barrie, Ontario, Canada (intn'l)
"perryfran" from Rockville, Maryland, USA (int'l)
"MandaJo" from St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA (intn'l)
"star11-80" from Norman, USA (intn'l ?)
"Lorelei03" from Farmingdale, New York, USA (?)
"infiniteTBR" from Center Conway, New Hampshire, USA (USA only)
"well-chilled" from Fairbanks, Alaska, USA (intn'l ?)

Edit Oct. 5, 2006: I just read "The Cutting Room" written by Louise Welsh
I really can recommend it, if you liked "the Food Chain".

Journal Entry 4 by book-man-8 at on Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Released 7 yrs ago (6/6/2006 UTC) at

This bookray is on the way! "Semming" from Vantaa (Finland) is the first of a long long list of readers... Enjoy! I'll be waiting for your comments!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSemmingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, June 08, 2006

The book arrived today (that was quick :), thank you! I've ended up with a few ring books within a couple of days plus we're having Finland's first national meet-up this weekend, but I will try to finish this as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 6 by wingSemmingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Wednesday, June 28, 2006

This was a quick read after I had time to start reading. It's somewhat difficult to say anything about the book without spoiling the plot. :) I wasn't sure what to expect, but didn't feel squeamish about the story. Guess I've read/seen enough horror and gory stuff to cope with some oddities. The story was interesting and I did want to see how it would develop and the "Scenes from a History of the Everlasting Club" bits were enjoyable. Overall, I think this was a decent book, maybe a bit rushed, but worth a reading. I like the cover, though I think I got some looks when I was reading this on the train. Or maybe it was because my partner was sitting next to me reading a copy of Spanky by Christopher Fowler (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1575872).

Journal Entry 7 by wingSemmingwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, June 29, 2006

Mailed to ThursdayN today (air mail). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Received the book yesterday, thank you Semming! And thank you for the card! Happy summer to you too!

Journal Entry 9 by ThursdayN from Göteborg, Västergötland Sweden on Monday, July 10, 2006

This is a very interesting book, I enjoyed it very much. It is, as Semming points out, very difficult to say something about the plot without revealing too much so I won't even try! But I did like it and it was very hard to put down once I started reading. A great read!

Sending it to Drusillamac today. ed. It's on its way!

Journal Entry 10 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, July 13, 2006

Caught this book in the post today. Thanks to book-man-8 and ThursdayN for sharing. I have a few rings in front of this but should get to it soon :-)

Journal Entry 11 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 03, 2006

I am afraid I am going to pass on this one. I have been swamped by rings and rays in the past few weeks and it's unfair to the other participants if I keep a hold of them for so long.

I know pumpkin-head from Glasgow meet ups so I shall try to pass this book onto her soon.

Journal Entry 12 by Drusillamac from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006

I am hopefully going to pass this along to pumpkin-head at the meet up in Edinburgh tonight.

Journal Entry 13 by pumpkin-head from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, August 17, 2006

Got the book from Drusilla tonight (finally ;-) ). Next up on TBR.

Journal Entry 14 by pumpkin-head from Glasgow, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I feel like I should say something deep and intelligent about this book, but I don't know what. I liked it. I liked it for lots of different reasons. It did seem vaguely familiar, but all I could think of to connect it to was that awful film, Eyes Wide Shut.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that this club really existed, it's a strange world.

Journal Entry 15 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Thursday, September 07, 2006

Arrived today.

Journal Entry 16 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Monday, October 02, 2006

:p This book almost made me sick, with horrible kinds of food and sordid sex...
It's a very strange book with good literary references. It always make me the shivers when think of those survivors from the plain crash in the Andes...
Thanks for sharing, book-man-8!

Journal Entry 17 by PrincessPeach on Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Just got it in the mail today. I intend to start reading it tonight. :)

Journal Entry 18 by PrincessPeach on Sunday, November 26, 2006

The jury is out on whether I liked this book or not. It was interesting and not a hard read at all, and the subject matter was interesting. I don't know. I think I'll say that I did like it but I'll need to think about it some more. ;)

Its been mailed to the next in line. :)

Journal Entry 19 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Monday, December 04, 2006

Thanks, it came Friday while I was away, I'll probably be able to start this today.

Journal Entry 20 by darkpunkangel from Barrie, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

This was a really weird book but I liked it. It was fast-paced and easy to read. It had twists and turns, I'm not going to spoil the plot or anything but it is very surprising at the end. Thanks book-man-8 for letting join this bookray.

I PMed perryfran for their address and I will send it on as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 21 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, December 18, 2006

Received today - This one really looks interesting! I have a couple of books in head of it but I should get to it soon.

Journal Entry 22 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Monday, January 01, 2007

Once I started reading this one, I was compelled to go on. It's hard to describe this book--at times disgusting--but you can't help but want to read more. The theme of food and sex are by no means original. I kept thinking of the movie "The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover" which touches on many of the same things. All in all, I found the book to be very readable and interesting and for good measure it threw in some morbid information about de Sade, Aztec blood rites, Fritz Haarmann: The Butcher of Hanover, the Andes plane crash involving cannabilism, and the Earl of Sandwich. I will probably be reading some of Nicholson's other books in the future. Thanks book-man-8 for including me in this bookray!

I will mail this on to the next reader as soon as I get an address. I have PMed star11-80 (Mandajo's profile page asks to skip her for any bookrings).

Journal Entry 23 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I am mailing this on to "Lorelei03" from Farmingdale, New York. I have been trying to get star11-80's address since late December but have not received a reply to my PMs. If I do hear from star11-80, I will inform Lorelei03 and have her send the book to star11-80.

Book will be mailed on Jan. 10, 2007.

Journal Entry 24 by Lorelei03 from Flushing, New York USA on Wednesday, January 17, 2007

rcvd via mail - thank you! i am fighting a stomach flu so this may take me longer than usual - apologies in advance.

Attempted in February and March to reach infiniteTBR with no success, so will now skip forward to the next person on the ring.

Alrighty. Well-chilled has asked to be taken off the list and so this really interesting book will be on its way home soon to bookman8.