corner corner The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne | Literature & Fiction
Registered by michyj of Daglish, Western Australia Australia on 2/15/2006

status (set by goldenwattle): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Synopsis
This work was set in Berlin, 1942. When Bruno returns home from school one day, he discovers that his belongings are being packed in crates. His father has received a promotion and the family must move from their home to a new house far far away, where there is no one to play with and nothing to do. A tall fence running alongside stretches as far as the eye can see and cuts him off from the strange people he can see in the distance. But, Bruno longs to be an explorer and decides that there must be more to this desolate new place than what meets the eye. While exploring his new environment, he meets another boy whose life and circumstances are very different to his own, and their meeting results in a friendship that has devastating consequences.

PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN BOOKRING (Australia only)
BOOKRING COMPLETED JUNE 2007
crimson-tide • WA
durham • NSW
DrCris • VIC
michyj • QLD

Journal Entry 2 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Friday, February 17, 2006

I don't want to say too much about this book as it is one that you benefit from by not knowing much about it. What I will say is I was left speechless at the end. Told from the perspective of a nine year old boy, written in a childlike manner, deeply moving.

Journal Entry 3 by kalasue from Kalamunda, Western Australia Australia on Monday, February 27, 2006

Received today, along with a slightly melted and therefore superdelicious chocolate mint frog - my favourite! I can tell this is going to be a good experience...

Journal Entry 4 by kalasue from Kalamunda, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Well this is certainly a very different book. Well worth reading - I won't say any more.

Thanks michyj for sharing.

Journal Entry 5 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Sunday, March 19, 2006

Received today. i have a few bookrings before it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingamberCwing from Darwin, Northern Territory Australia on Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A story that is all the moving for being told in the voice of a child.

Posting to Melanie2474 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 7 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, April 20, 2006

Another bookring... oh dear; I'll get to this one as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 8 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, May 06, 2006

Starting this book today; have PM'd angelbird72 for their address so I can mail it off as soon as I'm finished reading.

Journal Entry 9 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, May 07, 2006

Despite the sad subject matter this is a fabulous little book. Seeing events from a personal viewpoint, and a child's viewpoint at that, puts a different hue on what was for most a tragic chapter in world history. Add to this the family dynamic, with its attendant tensions, and a child's misunderstanding of phrases and events and you have an engaging and thought provoking story. I highly recommend this book and hope that those down the line enjoy it.

I have PM'd the next person for their address and will send this book off once I receive the details.

Journal Entry 10 by Melanie2474 at Mailed to a fellow BookCrosser in Postal Release, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 11, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (5/11/2006 UTC) at Mailed to a fellow BookCrosser in Postal Release, Book Relay -- Controlled Releases

Off to the next on the list - hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

Journal Entry 11 by angelbird72 from Newcastle, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I just recieved this book in the mail. I can't wait to read it!

Apparently it was delivered just up the road by mistake, though I don't know how, the address was typed perfectly clearly!

Anyway, thanks for sharing michyj!

Journal Entry 12 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My boss delivered this to my desk just now. I have about thirty-five books (many of them bookrings) stacked up on the desk and, just a little less conspicuously, several shopping bags from the Evil Bookshop *underneath* the desk with another hundred books or so in them. So I had to explain what BookCrossing is :-)

Thanks angelbird, michyj and everyone. I am looking forward to it -- though the usual 'I might not get to it for a while' applies (see my bookshelf for a catalogue of bookrings); PM me if you would like me to hurry up with this one.

Journal Entry 13 by xoddam from Springwood, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, November 02, 2006

The ending makes it. I have had a terrible lump in my throat for hours.

I'll post this to sarahbear today.

Journal Entry 14 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Received safely and soundly today. I just know I am going to have to start this one tonight.

Journal Entry 15 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, November 18, 2006

I don't think I will ever forget this story.

Journal Entry 16 by sarahbear from St Helens, Tasmania Australia on Monday, November 27, 2006

Posted to crystaljade today. Thank you so much for sharing me. This book has really made an impact on me.

Journal Entry 17 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I arrived home from holidays to find this book waiting for me. I've already started reading it, so I shouldn't have it much longer. My apologies for already having it so long, and for the delay in journaling (it's a bit hard to journal and read when you're in Victoria and the book is waiting for you at home in Queensland!). Going by the other journal entries though, I just want to get to the end! So it should be a fast read.

Journal Entry 18 by Crystaljade from Hervey Bay, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I really *must* remember to log on before journaling books when using the library pc's!!!!! Otherwise, people look at you strangely when you begin banging your head on the desk! Sorry about the extra journal entry, folks. The above AF was me.

Journal Entry 19 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Received safely today, thanks for sending it on, Crystaljade! This one will probably accompany me as on-flight reading when I travel overseas next week, it shouldn't take me long to get through it!

Journal Entry 20 by leeny37 from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Thursday, February 15, 2007

Wow, this is a remarkable book. It is written simply but pierces straight through to the heart, especially the ending. I really don't know what to say, I am at a loss for words, like the other journallers before me. I think I will be purchasing a copy for myself to keep as part of my permanent collection. Thanks michyj for sharing this incredible book, I will get an address from star-light and send it on when I'm back in Australia.

Journal Entry 21 by leeny37 at Post office: Mailed to another bookcrosser in Australia, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 01, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (2/28/2007 UTC) at Post office: Mailed to another bookcrosser in Australia, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed out to star-light via a prepaid Express Post satchel.

Journal Entry 22 by star-light from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Sunday, March 04, 2007

Arrived safely today. Thanks leeny37 for posting and michjy for sharing. Judging by comments from previous readers, I am in for a real treat and should keep the tissues handy.

Journal Entry 23 by star-light from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Posted to Makita21 today.

So simple yet powerful. The style reminds me of Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird where we are shown events from the point of view of a child who doesn't really understand what is going on, which highlights how silly adult prejudices are.

Journal Entry 24 by NXS-581865 on Tuesday, April 03, 2007

arrived monday last week, my sincere apologies for not journalling it any sooner, looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 25 by NXS-581865 on Thursday, April 05, 2007

a quick read that really tugs those heartstrings, beautifully written from the perspective of a nine year old.
very moving and lots of food for thought.
sadly the ending does not reflect reality, change time, names and places...

thank you so much michyj for sharing this book!

Journal Entry 26 by NXS-581865 on Monday, April 09, 2007

mailing it to crimson-tide today

Journal Entry 27 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Friday, April 13, 2007

Arrived safely today, so is now in the queue. Thanks.

Journal Entry 28 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, April 28, 2007

Yes I agree; writing from the perspective of the child was a good way to get the message across. It is an interesting book and definitely a powerful message. I did think though, that it was pretty easy to predict where the ending was heading - not that it detracted. My other criticism is that I found it very hard to believe that Bruno had absolutely no clue whatsoever of what was going on for so long, especially after one of the soldiers called the people over fence "prisoners". At the age of nine/ten surely he couldn't be so completely unaware and naive. I do understand that the story is written as a fable, so all should be accepted and forgiven in that sense - but it still bugged me.

Waiting on an address from Durham, and it will be on its way soon.
---- posted Monday 30th April.

Journal Entry 29 by Durham from Katoomba, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 06, 2007

Woke up this morning and this book was next to my head. Thank you for the bookmark.

Journal Entry 30 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Arrived here today. I will hopefully get to it soon, but I am in the midst of a bookring glut at the moment, so it may be just a little while, hopefully not too long.

Journal Entry 31 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Sunday, June 03, 2007

This one reads very quickly. A delightful tale, although I agree that the ending was not a surprise. I don't actually understand why the story is meant to be secret, as it becomes clear very quickly what is going on - marketing perhaps? Anyway, a very enjoyable fable.

This will be sent on once I get an address.

Journal Entry 32 by DrCris from Templestowe, Victoria Australia on Friday, June 15, 2007

This one is travelling home.

Journal Entry 33 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Another bookring to make its way home to me. Thanks everyone for participating, glad you all liked it and thought it was worth reading.

Journal Entry 34 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Monday, June 25, 2007

Adding this to the quick turn around bookbag. I know 2 of you on the list have already read this as part of my bookring, but hopefully someone will grab it before it gets to you!

Journal Entry 35 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

extracted from the Quick Turn Around Bookbag, thanks michyj :o)

Journal Entry 36 by freelunch from Cairns, Queensland Australia on Saturday, April 26, 2008

wow. just wow.

RABCK to froggirlwendy

Journal Entry 37 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Monday, May 05, 2008

Arrived (last week - sorry for the late journal entry) safe & sound in sunny Brisbane. Looking at a few je's - I am anxious to read this one now, but unfortunately, have a few 'must read' books before it. Many thanks freelunch for your monthly RABCK draw :o)

Journal Entry 38 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, February 20, 2009

Oh my goodness - how good was this book. Simple. Moving. Enjoyable. Just great. I hope it can keep travelling for a long time yet. Will offer as another bookring, otherwise RABCK to another BCer.

BOOKRING 2 updated 29/May/2010

kdragonet (VIC)
livrecache (TAS)
goldenwattle (ACT)
Needle-n-Thread (ACT)
Elddau1 (ACT)<<<<------- book is here :o)

PJLBewdy (NSW)

froggirlwendy (QLD) (will post to UK friend who is anxious to read)

Journal Entry 39 by froggirlwendy at Taigum, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (2/24/2009 UTC) at Taigum, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to bookworm-BNE to kick off another bookring.

Journal Entry 40 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Saturday, March 14, 2009

Yay - it made it! It took weeks to travel 2 suburbs but still, it's not lost.
It'll be the next book I read so should be moving again soon.
Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 41 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, March 27, 2009

What a lovely book. It is very well written, completely engaging and of course the topic is huge and sad but ... better not say too much... it's a must read!
Two readers at this house and PM-ing bookseekerAT now to send it onwards.

Journal Entry 42 by bookworm-BNE from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Friday, March 27, 2009

Sending to bookseekerAT today.

Journal Entry 43 by bookseekerAT from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, April 03, 2009

Always love it when I come home and there is a parcel waiting for me! This looks very intriguing and I can't wait to read it. I'm struggling with a bit of a backlog at the moment though and an overwhelming load at work, so may take me a few weeks to get to it. Looks like a quick read once I get started though - so maybe over easter??
thanks

Journal Entry 44 by bookseekerAT at Stanmore, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (4/19/2009 UTC) at Stanmore, New South Wales Australia

Finished reading this quite quickly once I started. It left me speechless. Thanks to froggirlwendy for hosting the ring.
Popping the book in the post today for meganh...

Journal Entry 45 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Received today, a few days too late to answer the Quiz question at the World Bookcrossing Convention in Christchurch. And what was the question I hear some of you asking - "what did Bruno call his sister Gretal"?
I look forward to reading this well travelled book soon.

Journal Entry 46 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Saturday, May 09, 2009

Such a simple story with so much depth! It is a long time since I was a child, but Bruno, to me seemed a very naive or extremely well protected nine year old. He had no knowledge of what his father's occupation was and that his country was even at war. The simplicity with which he viewed the world made the telling of the story more profound. A very interesting perspective on a terrible time in history. Even though the ending was very sad, these two young boys were best friends for life!

Journal Entry 47 by leith from Thornbury, Victoria Australia on Saturday, May 09, 2009

My wife let me read this book before continuing it's bookring journey. I enjoyed the book which was quick to read and gave an interesting view on a dark time. Bruno seemed to be unaware of what was going on around him and was a very young nine year old boy. Thanks for letting me jump in!
We are going to see the movie of this book tonight so it will be interesting to see how it is treated.

Journal Entry 48 by wingmeganhwing from Preston, Victoria Australia on Sunday, May 10, 2009

My husband (leith) and I saw this movie on the weekend after having recently finished the book. Our opinions were far apart - he didn't like the movie at all as he thought there were too many changes from the book. I thought it was extremely well done. The book was told from the eyes of a child with innocence and naivete; the movie allowed us to see what Bruno didn't see or understand. A very powerful ending. I will post this off to FreePages now.

Journal Entry 49 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Boy in the Striped PJs has arrived in Canberra.
Thanks meganh for sending it and everyone else before her.
I'm keen to start it, only 100 pages to go in my current read.

I haven't seen the movie as yet but was intrigued by Magaret and Richards review on The Movie Show.
ETA "possible spoilers" in the move review.

Journal Entry 50 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, May 16, 2009

This book has made me think. My reaction to it is very similar to crimson-tide. But my main question is could Bruno have been this naive for his age? Silly of me really, because it is a fable but I think a 7 year old would have been more convincing than a 9 year old as a lead character. I cant believe that this is bugging me so much. It's actually bugging me that its bugging me, if that makes any sense! This book is about so much more.
It was such a different time and a different place.
I actually did really like the story and I think it says alot about how friendship should be.
It is better if you you have no idea about the story but the movie coming out has given me some dead give aways.
So I've changed my previous entry to say "possible spoilers".

Thanks for the bookring froggirlwendy and for everyone else for passing it on before me.
I've already PMed the next person and I'll send it on as soon as I have a response.

Journal Entry 51 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, May 18, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (5/18/2009 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

The Boy in the striped PJs is in the post to ukcanaus today to continue his travels.

Enjoy

:-)

Journal Entry 52 by ukcanaus from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Book arrived today (May 20) - looking forward to reading this very much!

Thanks, FreePages, for sending it (and the lovely postcard too); thanks also to froggirlwendy for sharing.

Journal Entry 53 by ukcanaus from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, May 25, 2009

This was an amazing story. I really liked the simple style and its strong impact. I finished it last night and cannot stop thinking about the ending. A work colleague overheard me talking about it this morning and said she read the book months ago, and still thinks about it.

I spoke to my brother about this book (I think I am going to be talking about this book for some time to come!). He said that the title really referred to Bruno, though as I was reading it, I assumed it was Shmuel; the title reveals what is to come. Maybe that was obvious but I did not see it.

Awaiting details to send this book to the next person and then I will send it ASAP. Thanks again, froggirlwendy, for sharing this.

Journal Entry 54 by ukcanaus from Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Sent to piemunga today (j4shaw asked to be skipped).

Journal Entry 55 by piemunga from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, June 17, 2009

so sorry! i received this about a week ago and haven't got around to logging it. i should be able to start it next week once i get through my current bookring.

thank you!! i'm looking forward to it

Journal Entry 56 by piemunga from Marrickville, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, June 25, 2009

a quick and easy read, but with a heavy undertone. i enjoyed this but it was perhaps a little too simplistic for my liking. i realise it is told from a child's perspective, but even still....
i haven't seem the film but i think i'll give it a go. my mum said it was very good.

Journal Entry 57 by peggypostcard from Glen Iris, Victoria Australia on Thursday, July 02, 2009

The book arrived in the mail today - I'm nearly finished my current book so will get into this one shortly.

Journal Entry 58 by peggypostcard at Newtown, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (7/8/2009 UTC) at Newtown, New South Wales Australia

I loved this little book. There's not a lot to say without ruining the story but it certainly lingers in the mind afterwards. I'll be thinking about this book for a long time.

I'm going to post it to Carole888 in WA after my afternoon coffee.

Journal Entry 59 by Carole888 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, July 13, 2009

Thank you peggypostcard ..... the book is safe with me. I am looking forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 60 by Carole888 from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, August 16, 2009

I've read this book slowly and finally finished it last night. This is going to be one of those books that will stay with me forever. It is amazing how the author has mastered the art of telling the story from the child's point of view. His innoscence is so powerful ..... I am left speechless after reading this.
Ukcanaus' comment about the title has made me think twice about it too. My initial impressions were that it referred to the Shmuel ..... I am not too sure what to think anymore for now that I have got to the end of the story, I feel that it could also be Bruno.
I shall be sending this on to the next reader on Monday. Thank you so much for sharing this book.

Journal Entry 61 by Carole888 at Bookring, a postal release -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 17, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (8/16/2009 UTC) at Bookring, a postal release -- Controlled Releases

The book is on it's way now. Happy travelling ...... and Happy Reading!! :)

Journal Entry 62 by mcbeff from Marsden, Queensland Australia on Thursday, August 27, 2009

Received safe and sound from Carole888. Looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for sharing michyj

Journal Entry 63 by luckaye at Logan City, Queensland Australia on Saturday, May 29, 2010

This book was waiting for me when I got home from Melbourne today.

Journal Entry 64 by luckaye at Logan City, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Great story! I thought Bruno sounded a bit young to be 9, but then I guess I am basing my assumptions on 9 year olds of today, who are a lot 'older' than they used to be and know so much more!.

I am not sure if I need to send this onto someone else yet - will check and see :)

Yep, need to send onto fairy-whispers - will PM for address and send ASAP :)

Journal Entry 65 by luckaye at Logan City, Queensland Australia on Saturday, June 19, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (6/19/2010 UTC) at Logan City, Queensland Australia

onwards to the next person!

Journal Entry 66 by wingseldombiteswing at Rockhampton, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Hello Kitty Thanks

G'day,

Just checking in to let you know I am safe and sound. I am having a nice visit with fairy-whispers before continuing on my travels. I hope you’re having as much fun as I am!

With Great Affection,

Your Book :-)

Journal Entry 67 by wingseldombiteswing at Rockhampton, Queensland Australia on Saturday, September 18, 2010

When nine-year-old Bruno's father is ordered by the Fury to take command of Out-With, his entire family moves along with him. Bored, and missing his three best-friends-for-life, Bruno has no-one to play with but his older, and meaner sister, Gretel. Until one day, he decides to go exploring. After a while, he finds a new friend to talk to, though they cannot play together.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas is a brilliant book that is well worth reading. Seeing history through the eyes of a confused child, we are able to view events with a fresh perspective. This is one of those books that will have you thinking long after you finish reading.

If you read nothing else this year, read this.

Journal Entry 68 by wingseldombiteswing at Kensington, Victoria Australia on Friday, September 24, 2010

Released 7 yrs ago (9/23/2010 UTC) at Kensington, Victoria Australia

Butterflies Are Free Hugs

I’m missing you but I’m still having fun, so I’m off to visit kdragonet. See you soon!

Journal Entry 69 by kdragonet at Kensington, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 27, 2010

The book just arrived here, thanks fairy-whispers! Can't wait to read it.

Journal Entry 70 by kdragonet at Melbourne, Victoria Australia on Monday, September 27, 2010

What a beautifully moving book, I couldn't put it down once I picked it up (as evidenced by my finishing it the same day it arrived!) And very well written, too. Simple, yes, but real. The personality quirks, the family dynamics, and the petty sibling sniping were all spot on, and seemed utterly believable to me. I thought it was clever how things that are going on outside Bruno's world are indicated to the reader, without Bruno himself even being specifically aware of them (such as his Mother's evidently declining state with her more frequent naps and 'medicinal' sherrys). It really is quite amazing how different and uncomplicated the world can seem through the eyes of a child!

Others above have said that Bruno seems to act a little too young for 9, but I disagree. The difference is evident between Bruno and Shmuel -- both the same age, but vastly different in maturity because of the lives they have known. I find it very easy to believe that a boy who has grown up relatively sheltered (and clearly disinterested in history and geography) would be so naive about things, particularly in a world without internet or widespread television use.

It was definitely a thought-provoking tale, though, and one that I feel will remain in my thoughts for some time.

I will be sending a message to livrecache now, to find this book's next destination.

Journal Entry 71 by kdragonet at Sandy Bay, Tasmania Australia on Friday, January 07, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (1/7/2011 UTC) at Sandy Bay, Tasmania Australia

FINALLY sent this on its way to livrecache, today. I'd forgotten that I still had it, and had to go diving through packing boxes to find it when I was reminded!

Hope it arrives safe and sound in Tassie!

Journal Entry 72 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Arrived in the deep south today. I look forward to getting to it as soon as possible, but I have a few rings before it. Thanks kdragonet for sending it to me, and thank you michj for starting the ring.

Journal Entry 73 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I couldn't put this book down once I'd started it. I thought it was brilliant, and so moving (although I did have sense of what was coming – nonetheless, the ending was very powerful). As always, I've read the JEs after having finished the book so that I have no expectations. Kdragonet has said what I thought very well.
I'm not sure I want to see the film, but that's because the book is still resonating – and will for some time. I might hire it a few months down the track.
I'll PM the next person now.

Journal Entry 74 by livrecache at Hobart, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, February 03, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (2/3/2011 UTC) at Hobart, Tasmania Australia

On its way to another bookcrosser. I hope you enjoy it.

(Actually posted on Monday, so the book should just about be at its destination by now.)

Journal Entry 75 by winggoldenwattlewing at Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, February 04, 2011

I opened my mailbox this afternoon and found this waiting for me. Thank you livrecache for sending it.
I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 76 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, February 05, 2011

I had mixed feelings about this book. Great, but sad story. However, could Bruno continue to live for so long in his own little world/fantasy? Some have seen his behaviour as immaturity, but I’ve not so sure. It is like that nothing exists outside of his own limited sphere. What he thinks is normal for him, he thinks is normal for others. He exists as an automaton, insulated in his own life that no other way of life can interrupt. Even in his friendship with Shmuel this continues, very late into the book and possible even at his death I was not convinced Bruno had been snapped from this mindset. An example, Page 175, near the end of the book. Shmuel has bruises on his face and Bruno asks, “What happened to you?...Was it your bicycle? Because that happened to me back in Berlin a couple of years ago…” He takes food to Shmuel, but then ends up eating most of it on the way because he feels peckish. I wanted to shake Bruno, wake him up, but was not sure that was possible. I began to question whether Bruno was retarded.
His sister Gretel acts like a child one moment, playing with her dolls at twelve years old, when most girls by that age would have given them up. But then she was retreating into her own world too I guess. And on the other hand, Gretel is precociously flirting with the Lieutenant, at an age when most girls are still not interested in doing that, especially in a time before the influence of TV.
As soon as Bruno donned the pyjamas I saw the end coming. If music was playing it would have been the funeral march.
In reality though, could Shmuel have got so near the fence? Could have Bruno, without being shooed away by guards? Was the fence’s integrity never checked?

I checked with froggirlwendy and she replied that I was welcome to share this book with as many readers as I liked. "Keep it travelling."

...so this book is off to visit Needle-n-Thread next.

Journal Entry 77 by Needle-n-Thread at Deakin, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas is about a nine year old boy whose family moved to a lonely area where he had no friends, until he met another boy who lived behind a fence. This is a poignant little story and quite sad at the end.

Journal Entry 78 by Needle-n-Thread at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (2/26/2011 UTC) at Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia

I have given this book back to Goldenwattle. She will take it along to the next Canberra BookCrossing meet and hand it to Elddau1 who is next on the list. This month's meet will be held at King O'Malley's pub in Civic, ACT.

The image was supplied by Goldenwattle.

Journal Entry 79 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, February 26, 2011

Picked up at the February BC meetup at King O'Malley's in Civic.
Thanks goldenwattle and thankyou froggirlwendy for adding me to the list.

Journal Entry 80 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, March 26, 2011

Rating: 7.5-8

I don't want to give too much away...
The story of this one is very striking. It stays in your mind. I found I became part of the meeting between the two boys.
For that, I have rated the book an 8 but slightly down graded as I found some aspects implausible at times. But the subtitle is "A fable by John Boyne" so you need to take things with a broader view... it's what it represents. (But the book has more realism than a fable.)
But put that aside and just go on the journey where it takes you. It's well worth it.

Journal Entry 81 by Elddau1 at Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC) in Mitchell, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, March 26, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (3/26/2011 UTC) at Exhibition Park in Canberra (EPIC) in Mitchell, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Taking to the March Canberra BC meet-up at the Lifeline Autumn Bookfair
to see if anyone would like to join froggirlwendy's book ring for this book.
After a Canberra detour it will be on its way to PJLBewdy.

Journal Entry 82 by Elddau1 at Yass, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, April 06, 2011

3 Apr - Given to star1978(?) and Hotfrog to read and pass to other Canberra BCers, with the proviso that it will go to PJLBewdy when finished the rounds.
With thanks to froggirlwendy.
:-)

Journal Entry 83 by Hotfrog at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, September 23, 2011

I found this book very moving. Even though Bruno seems immature it is interesting seeing through his innocent eyes what was going on, and brings to life the awful events of that period of history. I will remember it for a long time.

Taking to BC meetup tomorrow at Floriade in Canberra, and if no one wants to take it home I will send to PJLBewdy (thanks for being patient PJLB)

Journal Entry 84 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, October 06, 2011

Received from the remote wastes of the ACT. Thanks for sending it on Hotfrog - I will look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 85 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Thursday, October 20, 2011

Glad I read this book (and it certainly doesn't take very long). The plot has a certain inevitability to it that I don't think will be found in the finest fiction. I would have thought that Bruno would have been much more worldly regarding contemporary issues considering his father's role in the scheme of things. All in all a good read! Hopefully we can get this book travelling again soon.

Journal Entry 86 by PJLBewdy at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, December 11, 2011

Released 6 yrs ago (12/11/2011 UTC) at Smiths Lake, New South Wales Australia

Off to the Netherlands to a lucky Sweepstake winner - hope you like it!

Journal Entry 87 by marijketje at Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, December 22, 2011

Thank you for this book!

Journal Entry 88 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I noticed that this book is on the top 100 most travelled BC books. (By number of members making journal entries.)
Top 100 most travelled books

This was achieved mostly with Australian members. Now it has travelled internationally with the chance for the number of members to keep growing.