corner corner Powder

Powder
by Kevin Sampson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Skelde of Mission, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, February 05, 2006

status (set by georgewhit): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Skelde from Mission, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, February 05, 2006

Keva McCluskey, lead singer of Liverpool band The Grams, is convulsed with jealousy when their inferior rivals Sensira hit the headlines. But a fortuitous meeting with society Trustafarian Guy de Burret boots the unsuspecting Grams straight into the harsh limelight. The band's camaraderie is rent asunder, as a bewildering host of journalists, music moguls and parasites works its sinister magic. The Grams have to fight to save their minds, their bodies and their friendship. They win, lose and ultimately, win again in this bacchanalian tale of sex, drugs. And rock'n'roll.

Powder describes a world riddled with falsehoods in an entirely truthful voice. Sampson knows the business inside out, and the book teems with the sort of detail few music lovers could conceive of. Ordinary lads turned rock gods acquire some laughable foibles, and Sampson draws his characters, and their picaresque adventures, with laugh-out-loud wit and often moving warmth. (Keva's worst fear is turning 30, while drummer Beano only wants a nice girl to cook him stew). This is a breathless, adrenaline-fired tale-- whether you are a vinyl junkie or watch the pop world in fascinated horror, you will find Powder as bewitching as the world it depicts

Journal Entry 2 by knitcorner from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 10, 2006

My first ever bookcrossing find, not my usual kind of book but excited to finally find one!

Found at the airport in Vancouver and read all the way home (to UK), promise to review when finished.

Thanks

Journal Entry 3 by knitcorner from London , Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 30, 2006

Interesting book that took me back to my teenage years when music was the only thing that mattered. For the characters in the book Fame is the only thing that matters except maybe the lead singer.

I thought the groupie scenes were funny but I didn't empathise with any of the band members, only having sympathy for Wheezer.

Perhaps it's a girl thing?
KC

Journal Entry 4 by knitcorner at South London Theatre in West Norwood, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, July 30, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (7/30/2006 UTC) at South London Theatre in West Norwood, Greater London United Kingdom

In the bar

Journal Entry 5 by georgewhit from East Dulwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 07, 2007

I actually picked the book up last summer in the bar at South London Theatre... then i was getting married and forgot all about it... ooops! i read a little but it's not my thing.... i have just found it on the shelf and intend to set it free soon... sorry to have temporarily halted its journey... it will be winging it's way soon....

Journal Entry 6 by georgewhit at Mon P'tit Chou Coffee Shop, Lordship Lane in East Dulwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, April 01, 2007

Released 7 yrs ago (3/30/2007 UTC) at Mon P'tit Chou Coffee Shop, Lordship Lane in East Dulwich, Greater London United Kingdom