corner corner The Firm

The Firm
by John Grisham | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingthegoaliegirlwing of Vancouver, Washington USA on 2/3/2006

status (set by loom91): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Friday, February 03, 2006

***Cover different than pictured... shows Tom Cruise... ***

Hard to believe, but there was a time when the word "lawyer" wasn't synonymous with "criminal," and the idea of a law firm controlled by the Mafia was an outlandish proposition. This intelligent, ensnaring story came out of nowhere--Oxford, Mississippi, where Grisham was a small-town lawyer--and quickly catapulted to the top of the bestseller list, with good reason. Mitch McDeere, the appealing hero, is a poor kid whose only assets are a first-class mind, a Harvard law degree, and a beautiful, loving wife. When a Memphis law firm makes him an offer he really can't refuse, he trades his old Nissan for a new BMW, his cramped apartment for a house in the best part of town, and puts in long hours finding tax shelters for Texans who'd rather pay a lawyer than the IRS. Nothing criminal about that. He'd be set for life, if only associates at the firm didn't have a funny habit of dying, and the FBI wasn't trying to get Mitch to turn his colleagues in. The tempo and pacing are brilliant, the thrills keep coming, and the finish has a wonderful ironic flourish. It's not hard to see why Grisham changed the genre permanently with this one, and few of his colleagues in a very crowded field come close to equaling him.

Journal Entry 2 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Sunday, February 26, 2006

Highly enjoyed this book. It was gripping from the very beginning. Grisham does a great job of hooking you in early and not letting go. Tons of action and suspense and was well written. I had the hardest time putting this book down. Glad I choose to read this one!

Journal Entry 3 by wingthegoaliegirlwing from Vancouver, Washington USA on Monday, February 27, 2006

mailed to loom91, who won this book through my drawing. Went out in todays mail, global priority mail. Should arrive within a week!

Journal Entry 4 by loom91 from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Received this book today!! As the book was addressed to my screen name rather than my real name, I had a very difficult time convincing the postman that I wasn't trying to steal someone elses mail :) Arrived along with another BC book, what a coincidence. It goes on my TBR. Thank you, thank you, thank you *hugs and kisses*

Journal Entry 5 by loom91 from Kolkata, West Bengal India on Sunday, March 26, 2006

All right, but nothing exceptional. To be fair, the ending is very good, but it's not matched by the first and the middle part. There is no plot twist or hard surprises. While enjoyable, I think I'll pass on future Grishams. Thanks a lot for sharing.