corner corner The Drowning People

The Drowning People
by Richard Mason | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by macewoman of Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on 2/12/2006

status (set by nettles42): available

Journal Entry 1 by macewoman from Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on Sunday, February 12, 2006

Backcover:

With this startling confession of murder, James Farrell, the seventy-year-old narrator of THE DROWNING PEOPLE, takes the reader on a long journey into the past, a maelstrom of deeply buried secrets and betrayals, that reveals the ferocious, frightening power of first love. For it was decades ago that James and a young woman named Ella Harcourt fell cataclysmically in love - and unwittingly set off a chain of events that would reverberate violently for years to come.

Journal Entry 2 by macewoman from Winston Salem, North Carolina USA on Saturday, March 11, 2006

RABCK to Gyd, from wishlist. Hope you enjoy the book. Happy Reading!!

mailed 3/11/06

Journal Entry 3 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Saturday, April 08, 2006

Woo hoo, the book arrived safe & sound yesterday!! :D

Many thanks for your kindness Macewoman(the book and the postcard you sent along). I'm really eager to start reading it. I've been having troubles with sticking into a book lately and finally I've decided to reread some of my favourites ('The secret life of bees' by Sue Monk Kidd currently), but I think this one will go next ;0)
Thanks again.

Journal Entry 4 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, February 08, 2007

This book is now with me. Thanks Gyd for the loan :)

Journal Entry 5 by fflloorr from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, March 25, 2007

This book starts like this: «My wife of more than forty-five years shot herself yesteray afternoon. At least that is what the police assume, and I am playing the part of grieving widower with enthusiasm and success. Of course I know that she did nothing of the kind...It was I who killed her.» (backcover)
The author really can mantain the suspense throught out the book, only at the end do you know why did the main character kill his wife.

I liked this a lot. Thanks again Gyd for the loan. It was worth reading :-)

Journal Entry 6 by Gyd from Barcelona, Barcelona Spain on Thursday, July 19, 2007

I found the narrator a bit dull at times, but the story was interesting enough to keep reading through the end.

Thanks again Macewoman for sharing :)

Journal Entry 7 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 01, 2007

Arrived safely yesterday. Thanks very much for the trade Gyd, and for the mini Bookcrossing stickers! It's very near the top of my to be read pile.

Journal Entry 8 by bookfrogster from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, December 08, 2007

This was an interesting one. Lots of good twists and turns, although I did guess the main "surprise". I found it quite funny reading about the characters' lifestyles, and would like to assure any non-British readers, that we don't all live or talk like that!
Thanks for sending it Gyd. I plan to take this along to the next Edinburgh meet up.

Journal Entry 9 by nettles42 on Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Got this at the bookcrossing in Edinburgh. Thanks!