corner corner Jane Eyre (Wordsworth Classics)

Jane Eyre (Wordsworth Classics)
by Charlotte Bronte | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Elsita of Almada, Setúbal Portugal on 1/13/2006

status (set by voveryte): available

Journal Entry 1 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Friday, January 13, 2006

Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead and subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield Hall, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a richer life than that traditionally allowed women in Victorian society.

After reading The Eyre Affair, By Jasper Fforde, I have to read this one!

Journal Entry 2 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Friday, January 13, 2006

Going away in a bookray!!
Here's the list of the participants. Try not to keep the book for most than a month and remember to send a PM a little before finishing reading, so the book travels faster!
Happy readings all!

* Frangipani04 (Portugal)
* ichigochi (Portugal)
* Marcenda (Portugal)
* Otilia (Portugal)
* FallenAngels (Portugal)
* izinha82 (Brasil)
* voveryte (Lithuania)<--- it's here and it's over!!

Journal Entry 3 by Elsita at on Monday, January 16, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (1/16/2006 UTC) at

Segui hoje para a Frangipani04.
Boa Viagem!

Journal Entry 4 by Frangipani04 on Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The book arrived yesterday. It was a fast and safe journey!

Journal Entry 5 by Frangipani04 on Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Finally I managed to finish this book. I think "finally" is the word that best describes my feelings towards this book... Though I wanted strongly to keep going with the book, I needed several long hours to go through it.
It is an excellent novel. The narrator's inner thoughts and feelings were extremely interesting and close, at some points. Nevertheless, I would have enjoyed the book much more if I had a much longer time to read it... It is too long, if you don't want to keep it with you for a long time.

Overall, it was a good company and one of those books that probably stays with us forever.

Thanks Elsita, for sharing it.

02/03 - Sent to ichigochi today.

Journal Entry 6 by ichigochi from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Tuesday, March 07, 2006

It's with me now..
Thanks Frangipani04 and Elsita :)

Journal Entry 7 by ichigochi from Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto Portugal on Monday, March 27, 2006

I really enjoyed this trip to victorian England by the hand of Charlotte.
I think the story is very well told. The words come to us through the voice of the main character who doesn't simply narrate the events but interprets them on the light of the time that has passed and the experiences that she has lived since then.
The text in the first person, punctuated by frequent dear readers, made me identify with Jane from the start: I felt angry at the injustices she suffered; I felt proud of her small victories, her capacities and intelligence, her success at every activity she undertook; I found myself wishing that life would smile at her and that she would finally find the happiness she deserved..

It was interesting to see how, although presenting some fresh ideas, a bit too feminist for the epoch, the book still shows a few prejudices as unquestionable truths:
-the inferior capacities of people born in low-class families (as seen in Jane's attitude towards Morton's students);
-the inferiority of creole "blood" (in the story of Bertha Mason);
-the superiority of english education ("As she grew up, a sound English education corrected in a great measure her French defects...").

Thanks for sharing the book Elsita.
It has been sent to Marcenda today.

Journal Entry 8 by wingMarcendawing from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Já chegou. Vou demorar algum tempo a lê-lo, pois tenho outros rings em espera. Obrigada, Elsita e ichigochi.

Journal Entry 9 by wingMarcendawing from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, August 01, 2006

A true classic. I've enjoyed every word of it. I'm sorry it took so long to start reading it and then do send it on. I sent it today to Otilia. Thanks for sharing, Elsita!

Journal Entry 10 by MariaCristina from Odivelas, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Friday, August 04, 2006

Acabadinho de chegar! Apesar de conhecer a história de filmes e séries britânicas estou ansiosa por ler o original.

Journal Entry 11 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Monday, October 16, 2006

Otilia, recebeste o livro em Agosto e já estamos em Outubro.
Há mais duas pessoas na lista depois de ti que querem ler o livro.
Queres passar para o fim e fazes o livro seguir?
Elsita

Journal Entry 12 by FallenAngels from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Já cá está! Obrigada!!

Journal Entry 13 by FallenAngels from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What a lovelly and passionate book! Charlotte Brontë caught my attention from the beginning to the end. I was always waiting for the next turnover. All her feelings were very well expressed and the descriptions make me feel the environment. I apologise for keeping the book for so long, but my XIX century English reading is a bit slow... Thanks for the oportunity to share this book.

Journal Entry 14 by FallenAngels from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Friday, January 26, 2007

flap...flap...voando pelo Atlântico, vai a caminho de izinha82...
Mais uma vez peço desculpa pela demora e obrigada pela partilha!!

Journal Entry 15 by izinha82 from Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro Brazil on Saturday, February 17, 2007

O livro chegou ontem, já comecei a leitura. Obrigada!

Journal Entry 16 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Saturday, February 24, 2007

Oi izinha82, é só para me certificar que sabes que está outra pessoa a seguir a ti, no bookray.
Boas leituras!

Journal Entry 17 by izinha82 from Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro Brazil on Thursday, May 03, 2007

Finally, the book is on its way to Lithuania. I'm sorry it took me so long, and I hope the book gets there safe.

I'm not really sure about how I feel about this book... Jane is a interesting character, and so is Rochester, but it seems to me that the story gets lost sometimes, especially near the end, when Jane finds St John and his sisters.

Journal Entry 18 by voveryte from Woolwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 18, 2007

Arrived today! Looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 19 by Elsita from Almada, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Now that the ray is finished, I hope voveryte, the last reader, do something good with the book: RABCK it, release it in the wild or in a OCZ ou maybe another ray!

Journal Entry 20 by voveryte from Woolwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, July 02, 2007

The first time I read this book I was 10 years old and it was translated in Lithuanian. Then I've read it again 2 or 3 times more. Now I really wanted to know what was the original like and I wasn't disappointed. Of course, I was annoyed at times, because I knew the plot really well and how the things would have turned out, but it was a really well written book.

Now I must think what good to do with this book. It is a well travelled book indeed, so I wouldn't like to leave it in some place wandering if someone can come, pick it up and REGISTER! :) I don't have much time organizing a new ray, so I guess I will let the book rest at my home for a little while.

Thanks Elsita and other readers for the opportunity!