corner corner The Roan Colt of Yamboorah

The Roan Colt of Yamboorah
by Reginald Ottley | Children's Books
Registered by UrbanSpaceman of Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on 1/12/2006

status (set by loumogg): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, January 12, 2006

This is a replacement book. I picked up the original at the London BC meetup last November, but somehow lost it before I got it home. Since it was part of a birthday celebration release, I thought that the least I could do was to buy another copy, read it, and 're-release' it (though I hope that the original is still out there, somewhere...).

Journal Entry 2 by londonmet from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, January 12, 2006

Thanks for replacing this on its journey. Hope you enjoy it - and who knows, the original may surface, and get journalled, too!

Journal Entry 3 by UrbanSpaceman from Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, January 13, 2006

An account of how a 'wood-and-water-joey" on a remote outback cattle station in the 1930s saves a lame colt from being destroyed. Ottley writes clearly and sympathetically but never strays into sentimentality and gives a very clear picture of life.

Curious to know more about the author, who obviously had personal knowledge of the milieu, I googled him and found the followiung on the University of Queensland Press web site.

"Reginald Ottley was born in London in 1908. At fourteen he spent a year at sea, travelling the world. His final destination was Australia, where he worked on a vast cattle-station for nine years. He travelled to Fiji and managed a cattle-station for five years, then worked in similar managerial positions in Australia, the Solomon Islands and in French New Caledonia. He also lived on the Isle of Wight, where he concentrated on his writing. Reginald Ottley died in 1985."

Reginald Ottley’s novels for children have been published internationally. His much loved prize-winning Yamboorah trilogy drew on his own early experiences of Australian cattle farming."

Journal Entry 4 by UrbanSpaceman at Druid's Head Pub, Marketplace in Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, January 22, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (1/24/2006 UTC) at Druid's Head Pub, Marketplace in Kingston upon Thames, Greater London United Kingdom

This book will be released at the Kingston upon Thames BookCrossing Meetup at 7pm on Tuesday 24 January. The Meetup will take place in the Druid's Head Pub, 3 Market Place, Kingston upon Thames. The Meetup will be at the back of the first floor of the pub on the left hand side in an area with sofas and normal tables. Just look for the piles of books - everybody welcome!

Journal Entry 5 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Monday, April 10, 2006

Picked up at the Jan Kingston meetup. It shall be my 'O' in my challenge this year. Am going to read it as soon as I've finished 'Moby Dick", which will be any minute now!

Journal Entry 6 by KLL from Perth, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I don’t have a lot to say about ‘The Roan Colt of Yamboorah’ - it was a short and easy read (just what I needed after the drudge of Moby). But I didin't get the story I was expecting (I'm sure this my fault!) and instead of a story of a boy bonding with his colt, it’s really about the events leading up to the boy acquiring the colt. As such, the whole thing felt like the set up for a further novel (which apparently there is, as this is the 2nd book in a trilogy, although I can find no info on the 3rd book). I suspect my main problem with the book is that it reads like hackneyed Australian stereotype, although given Ottley’s past and knowledge of cattle stations, I think the book is probably the real deal upon which those stereotypes are based…

Journal Entry 7 by KLL at Adelaide Hostel at 5 Isadora Duncan in San Francisco, California USA on Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (4/25/2006 UTC) at Adelaide Hostel at 5 Isadora Duncan in San Francisco, California USA

Left on the bookcase at the top of the stairs to the kitchen. Will monitor it's status until i leave (Thursday).

Journal Entry 8 by loumogg from Inverness, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, October 15, 2006

I caught this book at the top of the stairs to the kitchen in the Adelaide Hostel in San Francisco. Just my kind of book - I enjoyed it as much as Eleyne Mitchell's "Silver Brumby" books I used to read as a child. I am travelling to Tahiti, Fiji and New Zealand in a couple of weeks, so I might just take the book along with me and realease it when I find a suitable spot.

CAUGHT IN SAN FRANCISCO CALIFORNIA USA