corner corner The Nymphos of Rocky Flats : A Novel

The Nymphos of Rocky Flats : A Novel
by Mario Acevedo | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Breeni of Kannapolis, North Carolina USA on 1/10/2006

status (set by Lemonitsa): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Breeni from Kannapolis, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, January 10, 2006

ARC from First Look.

As The Nymphos of Rocky Flats opens in present day Iraq, in the middle of "Operation Iraqi Freedom," the reader can expect this book doesn't follow the traditional eighteenth century castle-dwelling vampire stereotype. Felix Gomez is a kindhearted United States soldier when he is transformed into a vampire. When Felix returns to the United States, he opens his own private investigation agency, which is incredibly successful, considering he can use his supernatural powers in his investigations.

It is client and college roomate Gilbert Odin that lures Gomez to Rocky Flats with a substantially large deposit check, which he backs up with an even larger reward when the investigation is complete. The investigation is within the United States Department of Energy, which means Felix has to pose as a scientist to access internal government secrets and the dangers they possess. His main objective is to discover what is causing a sudden outbreak of nymphomania among a group of female researchers within the DOE.

Felix befriends a group of local vampires, who introduce him to another mystery. Vampires are being slaughtered throughout the area in "vampire hunter" fashion. As he tries to solve both puzzles, the vampire circle aids him in his investigation as much as possible, saving his life in several circumstances. They also introduce him to the love of his life, Wendy Teagarden, who is unique and far from human.

Peppered with subtle humor throughout, Felix's adventures are anything but typical. Being a vampire, he must to return to his coffin each night to "recharge," while he is able to maneuver among men during the daylight hours with the aid of vitamin supplements, makeup, and lots of sunblock. Contact lenses hide his vampire eyes with hypnotic powers, and he attributes his unusual skin tone and use of makeup to a skin condition caused by Gulf War Syndrome to those who question his health or masculinity.

Each character introduced throughout the book possesses a distinct personality and history that draws the reader into a relationship with them. The storyline is packed with adventure that keeps the reader hooked. It's a light read, but one that can't be put down. As Gomez's investigation unfolds, the secrets hidden within the DOE are far greater than anything he had suspected, secrets that could affect all of humanity.

From the publisher:

"EVERYTHING YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ABOUT VAMPIRES IS WRONG.

Felix Gomez went to Iraq a soldier. He came back a vampire.

Now a private investigator, he finds himself pulled into a web of intrigue when an old friend prompts him to investigate an outbreak of nymphomania at the secret government facilities in Rocky Flats. He'll find out the cause of all these horny women or die trying. But first he must contend with shadowy government agents, Eastern European vampire hunters, and women who just want his body...

Skewering sexual myths, conspiracy fables, and government bureaucracy, The Nymphos of Rocky Flats reveals the bizarre world of the undead with a humorous slant and a fresh twist."

Bookring participants:

SandDanz
xallroyx
Kyrissaean
morsecode
Antheras
Breeni

Journal Entry 2 by Breeni at by mail in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (1/11/2006 UTC) at by mail in Mailed to another BC member, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Mailing out to SandDanz today to begin the ring. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Eeek! I didn't realize I was first! I have 2 bookrings here already, but I'll try to hurry and get to this one.

Thanks so much for sharing it Breeni!!! *hugs*

Journal Entry 4 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Friday, May 26, 2006

Ack! I didn't realize it had taken me this long to get to this book. I have just started it and will get it passed on as soon as I finish. Sorry for holding things up! :(

Journal Entry 5 by SandDanz from New Albany, Indiana USA on Sunday, June 25, 2006

I loved this book and am going to try to get it out to xallroyx within the next week or two. Again, I apologize for having kept this so long. It didn't take long to read at all once I got started.

Thanks for sharing Sabrina! *hugs*

Journal Entry 6 by SandDanz at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, June 30, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (6/28/2006 UTC) at Bookring in Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sent to xallroyx via media mail

Journal Entry 7 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2006

received for bookring-will read after I finish ones I have-thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I thought this was an interesting take on the vampire genre! Every series seems to have their own reasons as to how vampires can move around among the humans and this book had believeable ways! I liked how they wore contacts to cover up their hypnotizing eyes:) I wasn't sure about the nymphomania, but when Dr. Wong talked about how we liked being "the BIG Wong," it cracked me up! It's very comical, but in a dark way. The aura thing was cool as well. I would recommend this to those who like vampire books and want a different type of read.

Journal Entry 9 by xallroyx from Huntington Beach, California USA on Saturday, July 22, 2006

mailed to Kyri!

Journal Entry 10 by Kyrissaean from Littleton, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, July 29, 2006

Nymphos in my mailbox!

The premise for this book sounds like it'll be a lot of fun! Thanks for including me in the ring -- I'll try not to take too long with it!

Journal Entry 11 by Kyrissaean from Littleton, New Hampshire USA on Monday, August 14, 2006

Finished this one last night. Zany book! Very funny, fast-paced, and easy to read. I liked the new take on vampires and the world-building too. The aura thing was neat! I found myself flying through this and wanting to just sit down and read until I was all the way through! Although I wasn't quite as thrilled with the ending as I expected to be. I can't say much without giving things away, but...maybe there was just one thing too many, or something like that. It works just fine - I just would have gone a different way with it, maybe. Still a very fun book, which I'd recommend to anyone interested in vamps, or light-hearted takes on government conspiracies, or lovers of wacky dark humor, or kooky P.I. novels.... :)

The recent trend of pulling vampire and paranormal stories out of the pure, plodding horror genre and making them more humorous is one I've been having a great time with. I hope it's not too much of a fad so it sticks around for a while!

Journal Entry 12 by Kyrissaean from Littleton, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Nymphos are on the move! Repeat -- The Nymphos are mobile! (In other words, mailing to morsecode this morning. ;P ) Thanks for including me in this ring!

Journal Entry 13 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Arrived safe and sound in Buffalo, NY today.
I have lots of review books to read, but I'm going to try to sneak this into my reading queue as soon as I can ;)

Journal Entry 14 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Thursday, August 31, 2006

Ok, first of all, I'll be seeing Anth next weekend so I'll pass the book on to her then ;)

Apparently August is vampire month for me. This was my third vampire book this month (after Undead and Unwed and Undead and Unemployed), which is very strange because prior to this month I hadn't read a vampire book in recent memory.

Anyway, I was one of the people who signed up for this book when it was offered as part of Harper Collins' First Look program. It just seemed so new and fresh and completely over-the-top that I wanted to check it out.
And I will say that the book lived up to my expectations. Very different; definitely genre-bending. I was extremely amused by a number of things in this book, one of which was the fact that Felix (when talking to humans) blames all of his weird (vampire) traits on Gulf War Syndrome.

Did anyone else notice that there was lots of talk of food and eating? The constant references to animal blood (and even worse congealed animal blood) kind of grossed me out... but then again I'm a lily-livered vegetarian :P

My favorite thing about this book: the cover art. Seriously. I love the design and the cigarette really looks like it's glowing.

Journal Entry 15 by morsecode from Woonsocket, Rhode Island USA on Sunday, September 10, 2006

I forgot that Antheras wasn't going to be coming to the Oakville meetup this month. I should be seeing her on October 1st so I'll pass this book on to her then.

Journal Entry 16 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Thursday, October 26, 2006

I completely forgot I signed up for this book ring! Thanks so much everyone for passing it on to me. I received this two weeks ago from morsecode via chronicbooker3 but forgot to journal it. Looking forward to reading it and sending it home to Breeni.

Journal Entry 17 by Antheras from Kitchener, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 06, 2006

I took this with me to Stitches East in Baltimore. It was the perfect counterpoint - when all the coziness of the knitting became too much, I could journey to Rocky Flats and the far out, kooky nature of the story.

I loved this book! It was so original and kept me in stitches (no pun intended). I gobbled it up so fast that I almost had regrets at not savouring it further, but I did want to send it on its way back to Breeni while I was in the US. I agree that the aura thing was cool but I think my favourite part of the book was how Acevedo combined vampires with Area 51. Very cool, I'll be looking forward to his next book!

Thanks for offering this up as a ring!

Journal Entry 18 by Breeni from Kannapolis, North Carolina USA on Saturday, November 11, 2006

The nymphos are back home today! Thanks everyone for participating in my first bookring!!! Hope you enjoyed it!

Journal Entry 19 by Breeni from Kannapolis, North Carolina USA on Thursday, March 29, 2007

Out for a second round! Bookring participants, in order:

cheesygiraffe (AL)
lemonitsa (Canada)
chronicbooker3 (Canada)
apolonia (MA)
Breeni

Bookring rules: there are no rules! I trust that your conscience will inspire you to read the book and pass it on in a timely manner!

Journal Entry 20 by Breeni at N/A in Media Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 05, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (4/5/2007 UTC) at N/A in Media Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

A little late, but this is going out today! Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys this!

Journal Entry 21 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Friday, April 13, 2007

Thanks Breeni. I will read this ASAP. :)

Journal Entry 22 by cheesygiraffe from Florence, Alabama USA on Sunday, April 22, 2007

I finished this acouple days ago in Indiana. Very good read. I can't wait to get ahold of X Rated Blood Suckers!! Yay!

Journal Entry 23 by wss4 from Branford, Florida USA on Monday, April 30, 2007

Book arrived today. Looks like a fun read. I will start it soon. Thanks for sharing!!

Journal Entry 24 by wss4 from Branford, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Totally enjoyed this book. Likeable characters, a good storyline and lots of action. I liked the twists on the vampire legend and would love to read more about Felix. Hopefully the author continues with this storyline in the future. This will be going to caseyw who is next on the ring. Thanks for sharing!!

Journal Entry 25 by wss4 at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Released 11 yrs ago (5/16/2007 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailing out today to caseyw, the next participant!!

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 26 by wss4 from Branford, Florida USA on Thursday, July 12, 2007

Apparently this book was lost in the mail enroute to casyew. It never arrived. :-(

I ordered another copy through the Amazon Marketlace and had it sent directly to redhot-brat as caseyw pm'd me and said that she has decided not to read it.

I will give brat the BCID to put on the new copy per Breenie.

Journal Entry 27 by redhot-brat from Delavan, Minnesota USA on Thursday, July 19, 2007

I have already received and read this. I just got the BCID for it though and added it to the book. I will be headed to the post office next to mail it out to CheriePie along with The X-Rted Bloodsuckers too.

Thanks so much for sharing them Breeni ... they were both fun reads.

Journal Entry 28 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Sunday, July 29, 2007

Nymphos and X-Rated Bloodsuckers arrived from Brat the other day. I'm wicked behind on my rings and rays right now so fortunately I know Breeni won't mind if I hang on to these for a bit before I can get to them. Don't worry... they won't be forgotten, I've got a special stack just for rings (which unfortunately is about to topple over LOL).

Journal Entry 29 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Saturday, April 19, 2008

Just wanted to add a quick note that I finally was able to start reading this this morning. Sorry for having it so long. When I'm done, I'll see if Karen wants it right away instead of waiting for X-Rated Bloodsuckers too, as I'll probably have to squeeze in a few owed review books before I can read the 2nd (though it shouldn't be more than 2-3 weeks hopefully between the time I can read the other). Anyhoo, didn't want you to think this was forgotten about...

Journal Entry 30 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Saturday, April 26, 2008

Felix Gomez is a private eye... who went to Iraq as a soldier and came back a vampire. To blend in with the rest of humanity and keep their identity a secret, he and his fellow vampires must hide their unique vampire features behind makeup (for their translucent skin) and special contact lenses (for the mirror-like hypnotic reflection of their eyes). However, there's one vampire custom which Felix hasn't much embraced—the drinking of human blood; he drinks animal blood instead. It makes no difference that the blood comes from blood banks, and no humans need be harmed in the taking. Yet Felix still very much lives with the guilt of the innocent Iraqi family he and his platoon accidentally gunned down over in Iraq.

Unfortunately, this failing of Felix's is causing him to slowly but surely lose his vampire powers. And though it hasn't much hampered his current investigation within the Department of Energy (DOE) of tracking down the source of the recent nymphomania outbreak, it is putting him at a slight disadvantage against the vampire hunters who are actively hunting him!

Part paranormal mystery, part Koontz-like thriller, and a sprinkle of the nonsensical, this was a wonderful first novel from Mario Acevedo, the first in the Felix Gomez series. Felix reminded me a little bit of Harry Dresden, from Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, except that the problems Felix is hired to investigate aren't necessarily supernatural in nature. And Felix presents himself as human to all but other supernaturals, while Harry openly admits to being a wizard. But I have to say that based on my enjoyment of this first novel, this series looks quite promising and like it could be nearly as good as The Dresden Files.

Though a first work from the author, I'd have thought he was already well established as he wrote quite well and in a style very much suited to the genre. I had absolutely no complaints about the dialogue, the writing style, or anything else for that matter. The pace of the story was quick and punchy and the chapters short which added to that fast-moving action. I already had the second book, X-Rated Blood Suckers, here on Mt. TBR so I started on it immediately after finishing this one. I'm looking forward to another fun ride!

This is now reserved for karendawn. Since I actually picked up the 2nd book immediately, I'll hold it and send both together when I'm done with X-Rated Blood Suckers.

Journal Entry 31 by CheriePie from Campbell, California USA on Saturday, August 23, 2008

Sorry for having these so long. Things have been crazy around here with getting the house ready and stuff. In any case, karendawn no longer wanted these so they're on their way to Lemonitsa in Montreal now. Mailed 8/23/08 via First Class International.

Journal Entry 32 by Lemonitsa from Montréal, Québec Canada on Thursday, August 28, 2008

Arrived safe and sound this morning. I'll get to it as quick as I can. :)

Cheers and thanks for sending my way.

Journal Entry 33 by Lemonitsa from Montréal, Québec Canada on Saturday, October 18, 2008

Spent the entire day sitting and not doing anything but reading. I brought this book with me because I wanted to start it, and I ended up finishing it! Felix is quite a character. He is... sassy? I can say that it was enjoyable and amusing, and the mystery was pretty neat, though I think that I'd have liked a different resolution.

I also agree with morsecode, the talking about congealed blood was a little gross, especially since I was trying to enjoy the book and my lunch at the same time. I don't think I'd make a very good vampire :D

That's OK! I'm going to send a pm to chronicbooker3 for an address, and then get started on X-Rated Bloodsuckers, so I can mail it out by the end of the month. :)

Journal Entry 34 by Lemonitsa from Montréal, Québec Canada on Monday, December 08, 2008

Breeni said to go ahead and do what I wish with the books, so I am adding this to the Paranormal VBB @ BookObsessed in Round 30. :)

ETA (Feb. 07) Removed from Paranormal VBB today. Noone chose it. I will probably put this up on BookMooch because wild releasing here is not too nice to books.

Journal Entry 35 by Lemonitsa from Montréal, Québec Canada on Friday, February 27, 2009

This morning I mailed this book to a BookMoocher in Switzerland.