corner corner Middlemarch (Penguin Classics)

Middlemarch (Penguin Classics)
by George Eliot, Rosemary Ashton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 1/9/2006

status (set by gypsysmom): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, January 09, 2006

I picked this up at Goodwill for 50 cents since I have always meant to read it (I actually did read part of it about 25 years ago). Now there is going to be a readalong on the BookCrossing forum so it's a perfect chance to fulfill my wish.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 29, 2006

Thanks to the readalong organized by Ibis3 I finished this book. I am so impressed by the breadth of knowledge Eliot (a pseudonym for Mary Ann Evans) displays in this book. She quotes from so many types of books in a number of languages. Her knowledge of philosophy, art, politics, science and other disciplines is abundantly displayed through her characters. In addition to that, her descriptions of her characters' thoughts and feelings are detailed.

The story has two main protagonists, Dorothea Brooke and Dr. Lydgate. The introduction to my copy states that initially Eliot planned to write one book about a provincial town with a young doctor as its main character. She got sidetracked and started writing another book about Miss Brooke. Then she decided to merge the two works together and Middlemarch was born. Both Dorothea and Lydgate make unfortunate marriages. Dorothea marries the much older cleric, Casaubon, because she admires his intellect. Lydgate marries Rosamond Vincy, the spoiled, beautiful and profligate daughter of a local merchant.

Some of the minor characters are gems: Mr. Brooke, Dorothea's uncle, makes a supremely unsuccessful try for parliament; Caleb Garth, a sort of overseer for the landed gentry, is kind, generous and much more honest than the religious banker, Bulstrode; Mr. Farebrother is a poor cleric who has to gamble to support his mother, sister and aunt because his church stipend is too little.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the period of the 1830s in rural England.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 29, 2006

Since the readalong is finished, this book is now available.

Journal Entry 4 by winggypsysmomwing at The Forks - see release note for details in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, June 22, 2006

Released 12 yrs ago (6/22/2006 UTC) at The Forks - see release note for details in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I will be leaving this book (note cover is different than that shown) somewhere in the central court area when I go there for the Memory Walk which raises funds for the Alzheimer Society of Manitoba. This release is for the 2006 Never Judge a Book by its Cover challenge-Week 24 (old-fashioned clothing) beacuse it shows two women in a parlor dressed in clothing appropriate to 1830 when the book was set.)