corner corner The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
by L. Frank Baum | Children's Books
Registered by cyber-librarian of Cary, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, January 04, 2006

status (set by cyber-librarian): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by cyber-librarian from Cary, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I received this in the mail yesterday from Barbara in CA ... through PaperBackSwap.com

c. 1986 -- 151 pages -- Paperback -- Illustrated -- with an Afterword by Max Apple -- Signet Classics

Back Cover: "In all this world there is nothing so beautiful as a happy child," says L. Frank Baum's delightful Santa Claus. These words also expressed the credo of the wonderfully imaginative creator of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. Taking the beloved symbol of a merry Christmas out of his conventional trappings and into the world of imaginative folklore, Baum gave Santa Claus an exciting life that evokes all the charm, warmth, and fantasy that made his Oz stories American classics. We discover the boy Claus growing up in an enchanted forest with a whole cast of mythical creatures -- elves and wood nymphs, evil Awgwas, and the master woodsman Ak. We see how Claus makes his first toy and find out why he goes down chimneys, how he chooses his reindeer and what it's like when he ventures out on Christmas -- where, as Max Apple points out, he delivers a powerful message: "Have some fun, even in the middle of winter. A toy delivered by a stranger in the middle of the night may almost be enough to convince you that the invisible world, every once in a while, is on your side."

Journal Entry 2 by cyber-librarian at Cary, North Carolina USA on Thursday, January 31, 2013

I read this book today. I think every child should read this to answer all their questions about Santa Claus. I loved the movie and the book is just as good.