corner corner Wicked- The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked- The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
by Gregory Maguire | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingBountifulPotswing of Olathe, Kansas USA on Tuesday, January 03, 2006

status (set by Antof9): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingBountifulPotswing from Olathe, Kansas USA on Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Got this as a Christmas present for a friend, but she got it before I could give it to her. I couldn't get through this one the first time, but I think it had more to do with the person who gave it to me than the book itself, so I'm gonna try to read it again.

Journal Entry 2 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Thursday, February 02, 2006

Look what I got! An Official Olathe Care Package! Thank you SO much, Beep! I'm just so happy to have this gorgeous copy of this book, and I've already drooled over the Broadway pictures in the middle. Here's the best part -- I've had this on my wish list for a while, and my bookclub decided recently to add it to our list, so now I'm all set!

Thanks thanks thanks!

Now. . .about that Kansas City Chiefs paraphernalia. . .

Journal Entry 3 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Monday, February 27, 2006

Finished tonight -- too sleepy to write anything intelligent. We're only supposed to have read through the middle of section 4 for this Saturday's book club, but I couldn't put it down :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Wednesday, March 22, 2006

notes for thoughts -- to complete journal entry later:

middle good; bookended by boooooring
great concept. Brilliant, in fact. Too bad the book wasn't better written -- well, the middle was good, but . . .
Gregory Maguire is a great dialogue writer, and frankly should have put more in this book.
He's also lazy, and managed to get to some things too easily. It's the end of the book. Oh, she needs to be in a castle. . by herself. . . how conveeeenient.
If this book had a good editor, it would be fabulous.
pretty dark
surprisingly political
nature vs. nurture, self-fulfilling prophecy, etc.
Had I written this, she'd have become green at some changing point in her life. Brilliant to make her green from day one.
water is painful, baptism, ice, icicle as murder weapon. .. .
more from bookclub, but I'll expand these thoughts when the book is in front of me

3/26 update: I'm not sure I actually want to write much more. We really did talk this one to death at bookclub, partly because we stretched it out for some of the slower readers, and I'm tired of it! However, now that I have the book in my hand again, I'm noticing some pages I had marked, so here are some other thoughts. This description of Galinda was fascinating to me: She had the nearsightedness of youth. She reasoned that because she was beautiful, she was significant. . . And then I found an interesting commentary on society, made by Frex: The more civilized we become, the more horrendous our entertainments. Another comment of note, after a death, is Elphaba's response to Glinda's question: 'Bless her sould,' said Glinda. 'Or do you still not believe in the soul?' 'I can make no comment on the souls of others,' said the Witch. Interesting. To me, anyway, as none of us can, really, comment on the souls of others.

Last, I got to see the Broadway version (totally different from the book), and it was a blast. I highly recommend it. See here for the note about it in my blog.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAntof9wing from Lakewood, Colorado USA on Sunday, March 26, 2006

Sending to my sis -- she'll probably enjoy the political parts more than I. . .