corner corner S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)

S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)
by Sue Grafton | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingtobysruswing of Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 02, 2006

status (set by AnonymousFinder): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingtobysruswing from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 02, 2006

One of my Christmas gifts and the first book I've read in 2006! I really enjoyed this book. Interesting and well-conceived plot that keeps you guessing. I enjoyed how the story alternated chapters between the past and the present. A number of the characters could have been the guilty party. In recent years I had been feeling Sue Grafton was just "calling the books in". They were becoming formulaic and mundane. This book is defintely an improvement over recent years!

Journal Entry 2 by wingtobysruswing from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, January 07, 2006

Offering as a bookring:

1. When you receive the book, make a journal entry, so we all know where it is.
2. Read the book within a month of receiving it in the mail.
3. Journal with your thoughts/opinions/etc.
4. PM the next person on the list to get their address.
5. Mail to the next person on the list, and include this information in a journal entry, so we all know where the book is.
6. Enjoy!
____________________________________________________

List to date/Order subject to change:

1. Mysterious- Cicero, NY
6. LastMango- Oshawa, Ontario - ship Canada
7. doris- Montreal, Quebec, Canada - ship any
8. lauraloo29- Edmonton, Alberta - ship US
9. calicocollie- Rochester, NY - ship US
10.tobysrus- Cambridge, MA - home to me!

Journal Entry 3 by wingtobysruswing at USPS in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 09, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (1/9/2006 UTC) at USPS in Postal Mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Mysterious in Cicero, NY. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Mysterious from Cicero, New York USA on Saturday, January 14, 2006

1/14/06 Book arrived !! It will be my next read, when I get close to finishing I will PM the next person for their address. Thanks for including me !

1/16/06 PMing surmisez for address

Journal Entry 5 by Mysterious from Cicero, New York USA on Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Sent off to surmisez today

I enjoyed this , thank you so much.

My thoughts are ...that there were so many suspects any one of them might have very well wanted to see harm come to the "lovely lady"

Kinsey really had her work cut out for her this time. Not exactly easy to get people to talk or even remember details after 34 yrs. I wish the ending hadn't been so short. As always if you pay attention... Grafton makes it possible to solve the mystery but this one could have went so many different ways.

Journal Entry 6 by surmisez from Worcester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Received in mail today -- thank you, Mysterious.

Thanks you, tobysrus, for including me in your BookRing!

After reading the other journals, I'm going to put aside my current read and jump on this one. It sounds like a great read.

Journal Entry 7 by surmisez from Worcester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, February 04, 2006

After all these cases, I am aggravated that Kinsey still acts like a moron when it comes to handling a handgun.

Every time she picks up a handgun, you would think that she's never handled one before. Not to mention that there is never any mention of her visiting a gun range.

It is very unrealistic for her to be able to shoot people when it seems that the last time she visited a gun range was when she was a police recruit.

Other than that, I really liked the story.

Found loneflower's address on RABCK.com, am mailing book off today.

Thanks again, tobysrus, for including me in your BookRing. ;-)

Journal Entry 8 by surmisez at controlled release to fellow BookCrosser in Buhl, Idaho USA on Saturday, February 04, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (2/4/2006 UTC) at controlled release to fellow BookCrosser in Buhl, Idaho USA

Mailed to loneflower as part of a BookRing.

Journal Entry 9 by loneflower from Buhl, Idaho USA on Monday, February 13, 2006

Thanks for including me in this bookring. Received the book today. I plan on starting to read it tonight. I hope to be able to finish it this week and get the book on its way to the next person, we'll see. I'll journal again to give my review and shipping info.

Journal Entry 10 by loneflower from Buhl, Idaho USA on Thursday, February 23, 2006

Okay, it took me 10 days, but I finally managed to finish S is for Silence by Sue Grafton. I think if this book would have been by any other author I would have been satisfied with it. I liked the Cold Case File aspect of it and I like that Sue Grafton wanted to do something fresh with the Alphabet Mysteries, but I really felt like the book needed more Kinsey. Kinsey seemed to be a paler version of herself. I missed her clipping her hair with nail clippers and her little black dress that she carries in her shoulder bag. The dialogue wasn't as witty either. Still I enjoyed the book. I did think that how she discovered the car was kind of ridiculous, though.

Sent book today to TiaTia via USPS Priority mail. The Delivery Confirmation number is:
0305 2710 0000 0602 8714

Journal Entry 11 by wingtiatiawing from Springfield, Virginia USA on Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Dsyfunctional marriages, dysfunctional lives. Kinsey seems to hit the worst of both as the ugly layers get pealed from a small community's life. The ending left me trying to choose between two possible killers (I was wrong)and delighting in a comupance for the righteous Kathy.

I read it the day after it arrived in the mail. (I was sick and playing hookey from work)Will try to get the addy for the next person so I can send it along quickly.

Journal Entry 12 by wingtiatiawing from Springfield, Virginia USA on Thursday, March 02, 2006

Alas khillz28 got a copy as a RABCK. Will contact LastMango. Hoping for an addy before I have to travel for work.

Journal Entry 13 by LastMango from Little Britain, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Oh, oh...I can't wait to read this one. I may have to put aside the book that I'm reading so I can read this one first.

Arrived in today's mail.

Journal Entry 14 by LastMango from Little Britain, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. I liked having the flashback chapters...it made for a nice change of pace. I was definitely wrong in who I thought was the killer.

And, like tiatia, I liked how Kathy got hers in the end.

Hubby promised to send this off to Doris for me today.

Journal Entry 15 by 3D3D on Thursday, March 23, 2006

Received yesterday in the mail. Great timing...just finished a book. Will start shortly!

Keep smilin!

Journal Entry 16 by 3D3D at Mail Release in Pierrefonds in - By post or by hand/ in person -, Québec Canada on Monday, April 24, 2006

I enjoyed this book. Problem was the number of characters (specifically male) got to be confusing. I was asking "Was he with Violet?" Long build up for short ending that was somewhat of a let down. Still, looking forward to reading the next one in the series.

Mailed to LauraLoo.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 17 by 3D3D at Mail Release in Pierrefonds in - By post or by hand/ in person -, Québec Canada on Monday, April 24, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (4/22/2006 UTC) at Mail Release in Pierrefonds in - By post or by hand/ in person -, Québec Canada

Mailed to LauraLoo.

Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 18 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, April 28, 2006

Arrived today! I have a couple of books before it, but I like Sue Grafton and they've always been a relatively quick read for me. :)

Update - May 5 - I've started reading this book. :)

Journal Entry 19 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I enjoyed this book. I liked the way it was written. Different from the previous books. Although, I was also often confused about which man was which.

I'll put it in the mail this Friday to the next person. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 20 by calicocollie from Irondequoit, New York USA on Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I can't wait to get started on this! Thanks for sharing.

Updated 6/1/06: I really enjoyed this latest installment of the series (I've read them all), especially the flashback chapters. I would have liked to see Kathy as the killer, though.

Thanks for sharing this bookring! PMing for address to return this now.

Journal Entry 21 by calicocollie from Irondequoit, New York USA on Saturday, June 17, 2006

I'm sorry for the delay! I thought I'd sent this off already, but it was still in my car :(

I mailed it this afternoon (Priority to get there quicker). The delivery confirmation is:
0305 2710 0003 3968 9552

Thanks again for sharing this book. I think it's her best in quite a while.

Journal Entry 22 by wingtobysruswing from Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Monday, June 19, 2006

Thanks everyone! The book arrived home safely today! Another successful bookring! Happy reading!

Journal Entry 23 by wingtobysruswing at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2006

To be released at the July Boston Bookcrossing Meeting.

Journal Entry 24 by wingtobysruswing at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (7/11/2006 UTC) at Algiers, 40 Brattle Street, Harvard Sq. in Cambridge, Massachusetts USA

To be released at the July Boston Bookcrossing Meeting.

Journal Entry 25 by stormysweetie from Waltham, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, July 11, 2006

OOh! A new Sue Grafton book...picked it up at the July Bookcrossing Meetup. Will keep you posted what I think :)

Journal Entry 26 by stormysweetie from Waltham, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, October 12, 2006

Great book! Sue Grafton's books of late have been getting a tad dry. I thought she was running out of steam, but after reading "S," I think she's back on track to get through "Z" without many hiccups. It's an engaging read, albeit a little distracting, as every other chapter (for most of the book) flashes back and forth between two time periods. A fun, read, though, and recommended.

Journal Entry 27 by wingAnonymousFinderwing on Monday, November 27, 2006

Yet another great Sue Grafton novel!!! Kinsey Millhone is always entertaining & the ABCs are constant page-turners!

CAUGHT IN CAMBRIDGE MA USA