corner corner Codex

Codex
by Lev Grossman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by HoserLauren of Mississauga, Ontario Canada on 12/30/2005

status (set by morsecode): available

Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, December 30, 2005

I bought this from the bookcloseouts warehouse in St. Catherines for reeaalll cheap! It sounds very interesting.

From Amazon:
The cerebral thriller Codex drops up-and-coming investment banker wunderkind Edward Wozny into the musty realm of medieval literature, where he finds an unexpected break from the rat race--a powerful client's commission to uncrate and organize a library. The diversion quickly becomes an obsession after he enlists the help of the quirkily attractive scholar Margaret Napier. Together they discover his employer, the mysterious Duchess of Bowmry, is in a race with her husband to locate an apocryphal codex that could destroy the Bowmry name. Meanwhile, Edward becomes engrossed in an addicting computer game that bears an uncanny similarity to the object of his search and accelerates his transformation from Wall Street wizard into shiftless dreamer.
For the most part, Edward moves through his adventure merely following Margaret's dedicated lead. As each new twist unfolds, he slips further into the comforting daydream of a life that isn't his but is as thrilling as the race for the codex. Codex wrestles with notions of dreams and reality that commingle as Edward finds himself adrift in a sea of passionate scholars and Old World plots. In all, Lev Grossman's novel is excellent entry into the emerging genre of literary history thrillers with an added twist for the technophile.

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, February 03, 2006

This book was quite the thriller! It kept me away from my school work and away from sleep! I decided tonight that it needed to be finished for the better sake of my marks, and finished it up! I really enjoyed the writing of the book. While I don't think it was exceptionally written, I think it may be closer to my writing style than other books I read and perhaps that's why I enjoyed it more? Edward was a great character. He acted as I thought he should in the situations he got himself into.
There was a pretty big technical side to this book. LAN parties and computer games. You'd think it would be boring to read about a guy playing a computer game but Grossman made it very interesting! I was surprised!
There were some things that didn't quite wrap up as nicely as I would have liked (such as why Edward was chosen for the job, and what happened with his job). The ending was a complete surprise. It didn't end at all how I thought it should or would. Infact, I was so determined that my thoughts of the ending would actually happen, that I got confused when it didn't and had to go back and re-read some of the chapter!

This book suited my tastes very well. I'd love to read more thrillers by Grossman.

Next to AceofHearts, then to Morsecode.

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 05, 2006

received from HoserLauren

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, February 13, 2006

This book was a great mystery and certainly educated me on the subject of antique forms of writing. Edward was a very different main character and I have to agree with HoserLauren that why he is picked for the job is not fully explained. There was quite a deal of nail-biting towards the end of the book. The ending was not anything what I expected. I still do not fully comprehend why it ended that why it did and of what value it was to the secondary character. The computer game was intriguing. Actually there were still a lot of loose ends at the finish

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 05, 2006

Given to MorseCode at the Oakville meetup today.

Great meeting you today Morsie! I had lots of fun, hope you did too!!

Journal Entry 6 by morsecode from Buffalo, New York USA on Sunday, March 05, 2006

I picked this book up from HoserLauren at the Oakville meetup today.
It was great to meet her and her mom and make some new Canadian bookcrossing friends.

Journal Entry 7 by morsecode at Buffalo, New York USA on Thursday, May 30, 2013

A 25-year-old investment banker who is inexplicably asked to catalog the extensive library an aristocratic family, for whom he'd made some good investments, in the two weeks he has before he starts a new position. As he begins working on the project, Edward Wozny learns that his real mission is to locate an extremely rare (possibly mythical) 14th century text. His employers have a vested interest in whether or not this text comes to light and they will do everything to help (or hinder) him in his quest. At the same time, Edward starts playing an open source computer game on the recommendation of a longtime friend. As he navigates further into the world of the computer game, Edward notices echoes of the story that's meant to be contained within the book for which he's searching.

I didn't find Codex particularly thrilling. In fact I really only finished it out of laziness. It was easier to just continue reading the book than it was to give up on it and start something else (I wasn't near my book collection at the time). I was not rewarded for my perseverance: the novel's ending is particularly unsatisfying. Even if (especially if) I'd liked the book all along I would have been disappointed with the anticlimactic nature of the ending.

I'll be wild-releasing this book shortly and I hope that it finds itself an amenable new reader soon.