corner corner The children of men

The children of men
by P.D. James | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by piggykr on 1/9/2006

status (set by LilyKlip): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by piggykr on Monday, January 09, 2006

Pre-numbered label used for registration.

Journal Entry 2 by dark-draco from Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, February 23, 2009

I've been wanting to read this book ever since watching the film, so thanks for sending it to me. Added to my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 3 by dark-draco at Ledbury, Herefordshire United Kingdom on Monday, April 04, 2016

I'm another of those reviewers who wanted to read this book after watching the film - mainly because I was fascinated by the concept of a world where humans can no longer breed and what that might mean to an aging population.

I have to say that at first, I didn't think I was going to like this - I have a bit of a problem with first person narrative and as the first few chapters are like diary entries, my reading muscles started twitching in mild anguish. However, the author soon swaps to third person and the story takes off.

The book basically follows Theo, an ageing history professor who continues to teach adults now that there are no young students left. His ruminations on the world's problems are what highlight the general despair and apathy of the population - what's the point in a lot of the things we do if not to make life better for those that come after? When a small band of revolutionaries try to recruit him - with the idea of displacing the current Warden of England (who happens to be Theo's cousin) - his quiet, ordered and rather depressing life is actually given a tweak of excitement and hope.

This book is fascinating. It sort of is science-fiction, in that it is set in our future, but it is the total absence of a scientific solution that is the most startling. The author doesn't give an explanation - but there is something mysterious and strange going on when even embryos and sperm stored artificially fail too germinate - that's a slightly more scary thought than it just happening for 'natural' conceptions.

The film does have a more upbeat ending, with it's potentially hidden conclaves of breeders. There's nothing so concrete in the book - nothing is solved, nothing has really changed except that possibly one more generation will have to face the same problems as it's parents.

A brilliant read - highly recommended for some introspective and thought-provoking ideas.

Journal Entry 4 by dark-draco at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (1/7/2017 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

THIS BOOK IS PART OF THE ‘FAVOURITE BOOK OF 2016’ ROUNDABOUT
7. Icila
8. LilyKip
9. Fifna
10.alexotanil

Journal Entry 5 by Nataliec7 at West Molesey, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, January 09, 2017

Received today. Looks interesting. Going on holiday for 2 weeks at the end of the week and will read this when I get back as don't want to leave it behind by mistake as I often do with all of the books I take on holiday!

Journal Entry 6 by Nataliec7 at West Molesey, Surrey United Kingdom on Saturday, February 04, 2017

I picked up this book not knowing what to expect. And I was pleasantly surprised. It started a little slow for me initially but caught my interest and then BAM, I was hooked!

The subject of this book is based around Infertility of the human race amongst other things which seem not as important considering the fact that no more babies are being born. The world's population is rapidly declining and although there is drastic testing in place, there doesn't seem a way to stop extinction.

Theo Faron, a history teacher and cousin to the warden of England, is living his life quietly. The he meets this young woman Julian and her 4 friends who have their own ideas and plan to challenge the warden. Initially Theo doesn't want to get involved but a change in events leads him to get involved with 'The Five Fishes.'

I was able to guess most of the things that were happening prior to it occurring but this didn't stop me from enjoying it. I was a bit worried as I was getting to the climax of the book and there seemed to be very few pages and I wondered how it would end. The ending did leave me wanting a little more but overall a good book and I'm glad I read it.

Will get this posted off to the next participant soon.

Journal Entry 7 by Nataliec7 at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Sunday, February 12, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (2/13/2017 UTC) at BOOK ROUNDABOUT, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Hi There and welcome to bookcrossing!

Bookcrossing is a community of booklovers who want to share their books with the world. You have just found a free book and its yours to do with as you with. You can read it and pass it on, or keep it.

The BCID you entered is unique to this book.Please make a journal entry to say where you found the book, what you thought of it and where you release it. You can remain anonymous or you can become a member of bookcrossing (its free!). Please consider using Nataliec7 as your referring member if you join. Lets keep this book travelling to as many readers as possible.

Travelling on to Lamilla.

Journal Entry 8 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Thursday, March 09, 2017

(the cover is different)

Received today! The blurb looks promising, and it is listed as sci-fi, not thriller (thanks god)

The copy is pretty old, hope it could survive the roundabout...

ETA: It's hard too believe that the book with such interesting premise could be boring, but it was for me. Hopefully the next person will enjoy it more! The language is intricate - reading it is a delight.

Journal Entry 9 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Saturday, April 01, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (4/1/2017 UTC) at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

You've found a travelling book. Hurray!
The book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world.
Enjoy your reading!

Привет!
Спасибо, что нашли время зайти на сайт и сделать запись в журнале! Напишите, когда и где вы нашли книгу.
Перед тем, как попасть к Вам, она побывала в других уголках света. История ее путешествий записана на сайте, и теперь к ней добавился еще один пункт. Я очень рада, что она нашла нового читателя в Вашем лице.

Journal Entry 10 by leahjett at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Sunday, May 07, 2017

Its here! Merci!

Journal Entry 11 by leahjett at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Sunday, June 04, 2017

Very very very slow expedition. I found I had to chug through the first 3/4th of the book.

The final quarter however was a delight. Although the ending was swell (if not a little short!).

I was quite surprised to find out the author P.D James is a baroness. What an amazing lady with so many awards. I find it quite inspiring to be honest. I love how she was happy with the screen adaptation also.

But I think it should be redone, or transformed. It feels a little crusty having read it and left it to sit. The introduction, like I said before was too long. If I hadn’t seen the movie I would have been a little pissed and stopped reading.

I love thought-provoking books. Billbooks is next! So this will go to him this month (=

Journal Entry 12 by leahjett at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand on Friday, June 30, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (6/30/2017 UTC) at Dunedin, Otago New Zealand

On its way to Billbooks (=

Journal Entry 13 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, July 29, 2017

The book is now with me. Thank you Billbooks !

Journal Entry 14 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, August 16, 2017

I made some false starts but this book isn't for me just now. Sorry.

Journal Entry 15 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (8/16/2017 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to the next in the roundabout.

Journal Entry 16 by LilyKlip at Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Monday, August 21, 2017

It has arrived in Germany. Will have to wait a little though. I'm a third into a quite big book but this one will be next.