corner corner Other Voices, Other Rooms

Other Voices, Other Rooms
by Truman Capote | Literature & Fiction
Registered by AnnevO of Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on 12/13/2005

status (set by Melanie2474): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Other Voices, Other Rooms is the story of a homosexual boy, growing up in one of the Southern states of the USA in a conservative, homofobic world.
Truman Capote, the author, is most famous for his books Breakfast at Tiffany’s & In cold blood and his dandy-like, over the top behaviour.

"The brain may take advice, but not the heart, and love having no geography, knows no boundaries: weight and sink it deep, no matter, it will rise and find the surface: and why not? any love is natural and beautiful that lies within a person's nature; only hyprocrites would hold a man responsible for what he loves, emotional illiterates and those of righteous envy, who, in their agitated concern, mistake so frequently the arrow pointing to heaven for the one that leads to hell."

Journal Entry 2 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 12, 2006

This book will travel as a international bookray, so please let me know your shipping preferences in your PM. Participants so far:

* maupi - NL
* Mochagirl - Australia
* ...

Journal Entry 3 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, January 12, 2006

Book is on it's way to maupi.

Journal Entry 4 by HHX-328595 on Saturday, January 14, 2006

Got it! Thank you AnnevO.

Journal Entry 5 by HHX-328595 on Monday, May 01, 2006

Read it, liked it. Capote writes beautiful sentences, to be relished, savoured, enjoyed over and over again.
Extremely stifling atmosphere, it was cold here the past days, but I could feel the oppressive heat of Joel's Southern summer. Loved the Randolph character, so human, so flawed.

The book was registered under the category "Gay & Lesbian". To me that's a rather silly category which doesn't do the novel justice. It's literature in the broadest sense. The gay interest just begins to cover it. It's changed now, great!

On the book travels.

Journal Entry 6 by AnnevO from Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, May 01, 2006

edited it, no problem!

Journal Entry 7 by HHX-328595 on Thursday, August 24, 2006

shame en boter op mijn hoofd, ik heb nu pas Mochagirl om haar adres verzocht zodat het boek eindelijk verder kan. Sorry AnnevO, ik heb nogal een extreem nare zomer, geen excuus, wel een verklaring.

Journal Entry 8 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Apologies - I received this a couple of weeks ago, but I've been busy at work and didn't get the chance to journal it. Thanks AnnevO and maupi :) I'll read, journal and release soon (although have a small TBR at the moment, and not much time - but I'll get there! :) ).

Journal Entry 9 by Mochagirl from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, May 13, 2007

I was really interested to read this book. It was the first Capote I'd read (although I've now read Breakfast at Tiffany's). Very dark, very bleak. Definitely worth a read.

Journal Entry 10 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, May 14, 2007

At May meet up last night. Recommended by Mochagirl, and I enjoyed In cold blood and the film Capote so thought it's worth a read.

Journal Entry 11 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Sunday, July 08, 2007

Whipped through this one - the writing is very much of its time (using phrases and words most authors would not date to use in these politically correct times) but I enjoyed this story a great deal. Am keeping my eyes open for more of Capote's work, particularly Breakfast at Tiffanys, the film of which is a favourite of mine.

Will put this on the AVL shelf and help it find a new home soon.

Journal Entry 12 by Melanie2474 at on Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (10/31/2007 UTC) at

For Kate

Journal Entry 13 by Melanie2474 from Narrabundah, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Not collected - back on my AVL shelf

Journal Entry 14 by Melanie2474 at Starbucks in Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/21/2008 UTC) at Starbucks in Civic, Australian Capital Territory Australia

If you should find this book and you're new to BookCrossing - WELCOME! You have found not only a book but a community of booklovers dedicated to the sharing of books. I hope that you will write a journal entry letting me know that this book has been found. Feel free to keep it or pass it on to a friend or set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. You can remain anonymous but if you are interested in joining please use Melanie2474 (that's me!) as your referrer.