corner corner Bitter With Baggage Seeks Same: The Life and Times of Some Chickens

Bitter With Baggage Seeks Same: The Life and Times of Some Chickens
by Sloane Tanen, Stefan Hagen | Humor
Registered by chich of Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Saturday, December 03, 2005

status (set by chich): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, April 21, 2006

This is such a great wacky little book! Both the photographs & texts are guaranteed to put a smile on anyone's face:) Ok, so the idea of photographing plastic chicks surrounded by doll house furniture might sound strange but the book is really, really funny! I just laugh every time I pick it up and look at the images:o)

From Publishers Weekly:
Wee, bright yellow, plastic chicks complain about shopping, calories and boyfriends in this sassy volume by visual artist Tanen. The collection features full-page colour photographs in which the author's tiny, beady-eyed chicks confront a hilarious selection of modern (and sometimes fantastical) situations. In one picture, for example, a chick expresses frustration over a crowded exercise class ("Maude was peeved. Her 3:30 yoga class was full again. Didn't anybody work in this town?"). In another, a princess chick stares at the frog sitting on her bed and decides to terminate their relationship ("Anastasia was through making out with Ian. He was never going to change.") The chicks are darling, and the dioramas in which Tanen places them are perfect. This satirical take on the trials and tribulations of the modern, urbane female is sure to please the very sort it gently teases.

Journal Entry 2 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, February 22, 2010

Starting a bookring, PM me if you want to join!

Mailing order for this ring:
1) bestfriends, Belgium, EU shipping.
2) Dutchbooky, The Netherlands, EU shipping.
3) solskinn, Austria, EU shipping.
4) AgnesXNitt, UK, EU shipping.
5) dolph1n, UK, UK shipping.
6) wilksie, UK, can ship anywhere.
7) KanaPoutz, France, can ship anywhere.
8) NMReader, US, US shipping.
9) peachy93722, US, can ship anywhere. Not responding to PMs
10) dvg, US, US/Canada shipping.
11) ravencat, US, can ship anywhere.
12) megami-no-ushi, Canada, US/Canada shipping.
13) debnance, US, US shipping.
14) Readertoo, US, can ship anywhere.
15) Simson-Shilitoe, France, Euro shipping.
16) Luanalara, Germany, can ship anywhere.
17) Brookler, Canada, can ship anywhere.
18) Tsjara, The Netherlands, EU shipping.
19) earthcaroleanne, UK, prefers shipping to UK but EU ok.
20) babelfisk, Sweden, EU shipping.

{Back to me}

21) azuki, US, US/Canada shipping.
22) southernfryed, US, US shipping.
23) KimKimKim, US, US shipping preferred.
24) TinaJean, US, can ship anywhere.
25) raeliz64, UK, can ship anywhere.
26) lovereddesert, US, can ship anywhere.

...you?

---------------------------------------
BookRing Recommendations:
• make a journal entry when you receive the book so everyone knows it has safely arrived
• try to read it within a month
• ask the next on the list for his/her address
• make a journal entry when finished, telling us what you thought - did you like it? Did you think it was well-written?
• wrap it up well and pass it on to the next participant

Please PM me in case of any problems/unforeseen delay. If you are experiencing an RBC (Reading Backlog Crisis) or no longer wish to read the book, let me know and I will move/remove you down/off the list.

Hint: Ask for the address of the next on the list before you have finished reading; sometimes it takes a while before you get a reply. Some people don't get PM's. You may want to look for an e-mail address on their profile, or leave an ISO message on the forum. If the person doesn't respond within 7-10 days (use your judgement), please PM the next person, and then me, so I can update the bookring list.

**Cheapest postage rate is fine**

Happy reading everyone!

Journal Entry 3 by chich at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 25, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (2/25/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to bestfriends today! I hope you enjoy reading this Carla:-)

Journal Entry 4 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, March 01, 2010

Look what I found in my mailbox today!

I quickly thumbed through it and it sure looks hilarious. Thanks for the ring Sarah!

Journal Entry 5 by bestfriends from - Ergens in de provincie, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This was really very funny! I had some good laughs. My advise for the next readers: Don't put this on MTBR to pick it up later and read it (probably in one sitting), like you would do with any other ringbook, but instead put it on the coffee or the kitchen table after you received it. Just peek inside every once in a while to get your daily shot of vitamin H until you have finished it. It worked for me!

I never heard of Sloane Tanen before and while searching the net for more info I found this website well worth visiting . I noticed there, she also wrote 'Hatched - the big push from pregnancy to motherhood' and ordered it for my pregnant daughter. I thought it would make a nice present for Easter :-)

I already have Dutchbooky's address. The book has been packed and is now waiting to be taken across the border to save some postage.

KTMC # 9

Journal Entry 6 by dutchbooky from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 20, 2010

The chicks arrived in Amsterdam! I have already taken a little peak and will follow bestfriends' suggestion. I look forward to a lot of laughs! Thanks for sharing chich!

I enjoyed this book quite a lot! Very funny, the set up and all the little accessories. It reminded me of my wish as a child to have a doll's house with all kinds of stuff!
I will mail this forward on Saturday. I have the next reader's address.

Journal Entry 7 by dutchbooky at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, April 19, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (4/19/2010 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sorry for the delay. I am sending this to Austria this afternoon. It might take a bit longer, with all the flights cancelled due to the vulcano ashes. Hope it gets to Vienna safely. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 8 by wolkenklang on Monday, April 26, 2010

The book is here, thanks for sharing! I'll pass it on within a week.

Journal Entry 9 by wolkenklang on Sunday, May 02, 2010

Ouch. That was bitter. And funny :D

Journal Entry 10 by wolkenklang at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 02, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (5/3/2010 UTC) at bookcrosser, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Off to the next in line!

Journal Entry 11 by AgnesXNitt at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, June 17, 2010

Received today in the post - in a very random move my post person left a note to say he/she had tucked the package safely out of sight behind my rubbish bin! Still it's saved me a trip to the local sorting office with it's obscure andnot customer friendly at all opening hours...
Anyway what a great book! I roared with laughter! My favourites are the Bette Davis tribute, the Fenchurch children's 'ailment', the Catholic Schoolgirls and the Jack Spratt & Wife homage :)
I'll try to get the next participant's address soonest so this fab, funny and ironic book can keep travelling.
One things for sure - I'll never look at my Mama's Easter cake decorations in the same way ever again...

Journal Entry 12 by AgnesXNitt at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 18, 2010

I have Dolph1n's address so I will be posting this one off today from either Brampton, Huntingdon or Godmanchester Post Office.
I passed it around a couple of colleagues this morning at work - they too enjoyed it :)
Happy travels Wry and Ironically Funny Book!
Thanks for hosting this one Chich/Sarah - I really enjoyed it!

Journal Entry 13 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, June 21, 2010

It arrived safely today, thank you.

Journal Entry 14 by dolph1n at Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 27, 2010

What a cute and funny book this is. What can I say except that I agree with everyone else.
As soon as I have Wilksie's address I will sent it off.

Journal Entry 15 by wilksie at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 03, 2010

How lovely to find this waiting for me when I arrived back from a trip away.
I'll read it as soon as possible :-)

Journal Entry 16 by wilksie at Sheffield, South Yorkshire United Kingdom on Monday, July 19, 2010

Fun and quirky - I enjoyed reading (and looking at) this book.
I see the author has written other chicken books and I'll have to look out for them :-)

Sending on to Kanapoutz as soon as I get an address.
Update: posted by airmail Mon 19th July 2010

Journal Entry 17 by KanaPoutz at Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Monday, August 02, 2010

The book arrived sometime last week at my office, whule I was away for business.

Thank you, and thanks for the nice card wilksie!

Journal Entry 18 by KanaPoutz at Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Saturday, August 07, 2010

Crazy book! It was a lot of fun, but oh, some of this chicks are scary! Funny that they can be looking scared, sad, surprised, wicked... a good job!
One or two scenes I did not get, I'll have to look at them again and try to find some info, there must be some reference I'm not getting.

I'll send this book in a few days, thanks for sharing, as I would never I guessed such a book existed!

Journal Entry 19 by KanaPoutz at Nice, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Thursday, September 02, 2010

Sending to NMreader today, sorry for the delay!

Journal Entry 20 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Arrived today - looks cute

Journal Entry 21 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A quick romp with some chick's with attitude.

The artist did a fabulous job.

I especially enjoyed the reference to Dorothy and the Wizard fo Oz and Sylvester and Tweety

I pm-d for the address last night and brought the book and an envelope with me just incase I received the address today.

Journal Entry 22 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, September 27, 2010

I did not get a response from peachy so I am sending this on to dvg.

Journal Entry 23 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, September 27, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (9/27/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I will drop at the post office on my way home from work. I am sending with another book to dvg

Delivery Confirmation Number: 0309 3220 0001 9885 2079

Journal Entry 24 by dvg at Flanders, New Jersey USA on Thursday, September 30, 2010

Arrived safely in NJ today and I've already read it once! It is adorable and some had me chuckling already. It will be moving along quickly to ravencat [have addy] after another few peeks at my peeps. lol.

Journal Entry 25 by dvg at Flanders, New Jersey USA on Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/6/2010 UTC) at Flanders, New Jersey USA

I really enjoyed this and flipped through it several times. Author did a great job making me laugh! Thanks for sharing this with me. Its traveling today to ravencat. Enjoy. =)

Journal Entry 26 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Arrived today and looks adorable. Will read it tonight when I am all cozy in bed! Will PM next person for their addy.

Journal Entry 27 by ravencat at Lancaster, New York USA on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (10/19/2010 UTC) at Lancaster, New York USA

What a cute and enjoyable book! And I loved the pictures that went along with it. Now on its way to megami-no-ushi in Calgaray,Alberta,Canada via US Postal Service airmail-Enjoy!!!

Journal Entry 28 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, November 01, 2010

The bookring arrived today and looks awesome! I can't wait for lunch to start it!

Journal Entry 29 by wingmegami-no-ushiwing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (11/3/2010 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

off to the post office to send this little gem off to Texas.

I really enjoyed this book and shared it with my Mom and with some of the volunteers at the ESL class I volunteer at - I brought it to see if any of my chinese speakers were up to translating the one chinese caption, but it was a very rough translation since LINC three doesn't teach advanced enough english vocabulary.

Journal Entry 30 by debnance at Alvin, Texas USA on Thursday, November 18, 2010

Yessss! Exactly the book I needed to read this week. I'm adding it to my wishlist at Amazon so I can have a copy of my own, to read now and then, when I need a little chirping...I mean, cheering, up!

Journal Entry 31 by debnance at Alvin, Texas USA on Thursday, November 18, 2010

I will be mailing this off on Friday!

Journal Entry 32 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Oopsies! I forgot to journal this when it first arrived from Debbie Nance. It's a cute little whimsical tale about "the life and times of some chickens." Very adorable! I'll be sending it on it's way over the pond to France and Simson-Shilitoe. Thanks for sharing your book with us Chich. You are awesome!

Happy reading,
Readertoo

Journal Entry 33 by Readertoo at Sugar Land, Texas USA on Wednesday, December 08, 2010

I must not have been signed in when I submitted the previous entry. So I ended up being anonymous! I received the address for Simson-Shilitoe today so I will be sending this off to him tomorrow. It turns out he's not really in France but in Germany. Safe journey ...enjoy!

Readertoo

Journal Entry 34 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Monday, December 20, 2010

The book arrived safely in today`s mail. I am going to finish this within a week.

At the moment I am reading "The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot" another bookring started by "chich".

Thank you "chich" for sharing and "Readertoo" for posting.

PS: You are right, Readertoo. I am only a virtual Frenchman.

The French border is only a few kilometres away from the village in Germany where I live. I often make trips, especially by bycicle, to Lauterbourg (German: Lauterburg), Mothern or Wissembourg (German: Weißenburg), 3 little towns, which are communes in the Bas-Rhin department in Alsace in north-eastern France. All 3 towns are situated on the German border and not far from the German city of Karlsruhe.

A lot of French people work at the Daimler-Benz factory in Wörth, Germany. And a lot of Germans work in the Règion Alsace. We call these people "Grenzgänger", "Grenzpendler" (Grenze = border, Pendler = commuter).

I don`t work or live in France but I like it to be a virtual French bookcrosser and Grenzpendler much more than to be a German bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 35 by Simson-Shilitoe at Neewiller-près-Lauterbourg, Alsace France on Monday, December 27, 2010

I read this book twice. On the one hand some funny pictures but on the other hand a little bit strange.

Posting to "Luanalara" as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 36 by Simson-Shilitoe at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany on Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Released 3 yrs ago (12/29/2010 UTC) at Rülzheim, Rheinland-Pfalz Germany

Posted to the next participant of this bookring. Best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year 2011!

Journal Entry 37 by Luanalara at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, January 03, 2011

Received it today! Thank you, Simson-Shilitoe, for the book and the chocolate!

It definitely looks very cute. :)

Journal Entry 38 by Luanalara at Erkelenz, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Saturday, January 08, 2011

What a weird but also very funny little book! Tanen's ideas are very creative and I especially loved little Coco and the Cinderella story.

Got the address of Brookler already and I'm going to send it off on Monday. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 39 by Luanalara at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, January 10, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (1/10/2011 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt / Persönlich weitergegeben --, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

On its way to Brookler!

Journal Entry 40 by wingBrooklerwing at Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Friday, January 21, 2011

This just arrived today, along with a whole calendar of bookmarks and a stunning postcard of a hummingbird from wilksie. Thanks so much.

Journal Entry 41 by wingBrooklerwing at Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Friday, January 28, 2011

Hmm....guess it's just not my type of humour. I did like the yoga class though.

Journal Entry 42 by wingBrooklerwing at Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, February 05, 2011

Mailed today to Tsjara, surface mail.

Journal Entry 43 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, March 24, 2011

It's here :) Thank you Brookler, and for the lovely card and bookmark too! It looks great. Thanks for sharing Chich!

Journal Entry 44 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lovely pictures :) The little chickens were cute and strange (funny how they can look so expressive). I enjoyed it even though I didn't get all the references. The bits about Coco were quite funny, and somehow I find Nigel a strange name for a chicken.. :P

Will mail this to earthcaroleanne somewhere this week..

Journal Entry 45 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 18, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/18/2011 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Travelling to Scotland now.
Hope you'll enjoy it ^_^

Journal Entry 46 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, April 26, 2011

This arrived at the weekend. Looks a fun, quick read - I'll squeeze it in straight away.

Journal Entry 47 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Well, what can I say? It was fun but I'm not sure it was worth the postage.

Journal Entry 48 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Arrived safely today.

Journal Entry 49 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cute and funny!

Journal Entry 50 by wingbabelfiskwing at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Monday, May 30, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/30/2011 UTC) at Jönköping, Småland Sweden

I'm so sorry for the delay but now it's finally on it's way.

Journal Entry 51 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, June 03, 2011

Received today, many thanks for passing it on babelfisk! :)

Journal Entry 52 by chich at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, June 09, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (6/9/2011 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to azuki today, enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 53 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, June 25, 2011

This bunch of super cute chicks has arrived safely here. Once I opened the package I couldn't resist flipping through the book. Pretty soon I've sort of read through it once already, and some pictures just make me laugh: the one where a carload of chicks make a wrong turn and end up in Kentucky, the yoga chick, the body-waxed chick...
I am not quite ready to send this one yet. I'll like to re-read it once before sending on.

Thank you so much for letting me join so late into the ring. I am really glad I did. I love this book.

Journal Entry 54 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, July 11, 2011

I can't quite bear to part with this book but I have it long enough, so I am sending this along to the next person.
Thanks Chich, I really enjoyed this book. The cute photos like the little chicks doing yoga makes me grin, and the wickedly funny one like KFC makes me chuckle. Now I've said a fond goodbye and the book will be heading to the next reader. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 55 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Book arrived. I finished a book this morning, so this is NEXT:) Thanks for sharing.

8/3/2011
Weird book. However, I am very happy to be a part of such a well traveled bookring. Pming KimKimKim for an address.

8/24/2011
I have sent 2 pms and posted an ISO in the bookring forum for KimKimKim. She is not listed on RABCK.com, so I am pming the next person.

Journal Entry 56 by wingSouthernfryedwing at Lexington, South Carolina USA on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (8/27/2011 UTC) at Lexington, South Carolina USA

dropped in the mail:)

Journal Entry 57 by TinaJean at Talala, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, September 08, 2011

I received this book on 9-2-11 but have just been able to register it.

This is a very cute book & I had a good laugh! Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 58 by TinaJean at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (9/13/2011 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This book is on its way to raeliz64 in the UK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 59 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Received today - thanks very much :-)

Journal Entry 60 by wingraeliz64wing at Leicester, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Friday, September 30, 2011

Some very amusing bits in here, although I didn't get them all.
Posted to lovereddesert today.

Journal Entry 61 by lovereddesert at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, December 10, 2011

Have gotten a slew of books so forgot to log this one when received.
This was a fun book. It appears to be a children's book but it is not. This book is filled with adult humor and I found it hilarious.
I am at the end of the list of readers for now so not sure where to send this book next. Will pm the owner.
Thanks for a quick and fun read.

Journal Entry 62 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Book received today,many thanks lovereddesert!

Thanks to all those who participated in this ring and Happy New Year to you all :-)