corner corner The Rise of Endymion

by Dan Simmons | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by avanta7 on 11/2/2002

status (set by adrienne10): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by avanta7 on Saturday, November 02, 2002

The time of reckoning has arrived. As a final genocidal Crusade threatens to enslave humanity forever, a new messiah has come of age. She is Aenea and she has undergone a strange apprenticeship to those known as the Others. Now her protector, Raul Endymion, onetime shepherd and convicted murderer, must help her deliver her startling message to her growing army of disciples. But first they must embark on a final spectacular mission to discover the underlying meaning of the universe itself. They have been followed on their journey by the mysterious Shrike -- monster, angel, killing machine -- who is about to reveal the long-held secret of its origin and purpose. And on the planet Hyperion, where the story first began, the final revelation will be delivered -- an apocalyptic message that unlocks the secrets of existence and the fate of humankind in the galaxy. (cover blurb)

Book Four of the Hyperion saga.

Dan Simmons is a genius. Read everything he has ever written.

Journal Entry 2 by avanta7 on Monday, December 22, 2003

A surprise for another BXer.

Journal Entry 3 by avanta7 on Saturday, January 17, 2004

Although this wasn't one of the books Brewski requested as part of my "Celebrate 800" project, I hate to break up the set, and am sending this along with HYPERION.

Journal Entry 4 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 26, 2004

Well I was intending to follow avanta7's advice and have my first exposure to Dan Simmons' writing be Hyperion, but here avanta7 has gone and sent me the entire Hyperion series. I am really looking forward to reading this series and can't thanks avanta7 enough for sharing this with me.

Journal Entry 5 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Simply excellent. Some series feel like they just run out of steam at their conclusion, but not this one. I kept eagerly turning page after page, losing sleep as I read longer than I really should have on work nights. When I finished the only disappointment that I felt was that I had finished the series and there was no more to read.

I highly recommend Dan Simmons' Hyperion series to all.

Journal Entry 6 by brewski from Markham, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I have this all packaged up and ready to mail as a surprise to a fellow BookCrosser.

Journal Entry 7 by adrienne10 from Seattle, Washington USA on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wow! I'm overwhelmed! I received this package today (actually it was trying to be delivered while I was away on vacation, but I picked it up today). All 4 of the Dan Simmons Hyperion/Endymion! I'll get to these as soon as possible.

Thank you so much!