corner corner The Island of Dr. Moreau

The Island of Dr. Moreau
by H.G. Wells | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Megi53 of Danville, Virginia USA on Saturday, November 26, 2005

status (set by songofdarkness): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Saturday, November 26, 2005

The kids and I read another copy of this terrific book back when the Marlon Brando movie came out -- can't remember many details, but will never forget the overall feeling of poignancy.

I bought this copy at the Goodwill store this morning, and was struck by the fact that a previous reader had underlined many of my favorite parts about the animals' feelings.

Saving for a Canadian bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 2 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Mailing today.

Journal Entry 3 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, December 12, 2005

This was on my wishlist. I think its a surprise. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, April 07, 2010

An interesting read. I did have some trouble with spots where Moreau is justifying, but a book that makes you think.

Journal Entry 5 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Saturday, April 10, 2010

I'm sending this out as a bookray.

Rules: Not many. Please journal the book's arrival and departure. And please keep it moving by keeping it no longer than 4 weeks. The last person is free to release the book as they wish.

1. amcamp1644 - US (US)
2. TwiggySC1973 - US (Intl)
3. mellion108 - US (Intl)
4. E-sr - Spain (Europe)
5. Moriquen - Belgium (Europe)
6. katrinat - UK (Europe)
7. TracyW - UK (Intl)
8. stubee - UK (Intl)

This book is starting the journey on April 17th. Happy travels!

Journal Entry 6 by amcamp1644 from Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Got it today - it's so tiny!

Journal Entry 7 by amcamp1644 from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, May 16, 2010

I can see how it would've been shocking and new when it was written (and I can see how later books/movies were probably influenced by it), but as a reader of today I kept thinking how the science was all wrong. I'm still glad I read it though.

Journal Entry 8 by amcamp1644 at Wheaton, Maryland USA on Saturday, June 05, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (6/5/2010 UTC) at Wheaton, Maryland USA

So sorry it took so long to get to the post office, but it's finally on its way.

Journal Entry 9 by TwiggySC1973 at Woodruff, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Received in the mail today, what a thin book. Should be finished in no time! Will keep my update on www.goodreads.com

Journal Entry 10 by TwiggySC1973 at Woodruff, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Close to being done with the book and have sent mellion108 a pm to get address.

Journal Entry 11 by TwiggySC1973 at Woodruff, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Well I finished it today. If I had time I believe I would have finished in within one day. But alas it took me a week. It was a very interesting read and somewhat strange. I believe I would have gone mad having to stay on that island or else the natives would have killed me. After living like that it would be strange to be able to communicate with real people and feel like you've lost sense of yourself or humanity. Not most favorite of the 1001 books to read but at least it wasn't hard to read.

Journal Entry 12 by TwiggySC1973 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Friday, June 18, 2010

Released 4 yrs ago (6/18/2010 UTC) at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA

Via Media Mail delivery confirmation #9102150134711221839857-showing via usps being delievered on June 23, 2010.

Journal Entry 13 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Sunday, July 11, 2010

The book is here. I'm finishing up another bookring, but I'll start this one as soon as I've finished the other.

Thanks!

Paperback, 157 pages

Description:
Written in 1896, The Island of Dr. Moreau is one of the earliest scientific romances. An instant sensation, it was meant as a commentary on Darwin's theory of evolution, which H. G. Wells stoutly believed. The story centers on the depraved Dr. Moreau, who conducts unspeakable animal experiments on a remote tropical island, with hideous, humanlike results. Edward Prendick, an Englishman whose misfortunes bring him to the island, is witness to the Beast Folks' strange civilization and their eventual terrifying regression. While gene-splicing and bioengineering are common practices today, readers are still astounded at Wells's haunting vision and the ethical questions he raised a century before our time.

Journal Entry 14 by mellion108 at Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Saturday, August 14, 2010

This book still holds up. I remember reading this by flashlight at night when I was kid. The deeper themes resonate a lot more with me now than at that age, and the book still packs a punch.

I apologize for holding the book up for so long. I have E-sr's address and plan to ship the book today. Thanks again for sharing!

Journal Entry 15 by E-sr at Tenerife, Islas Canarias Spain on Friday, October 15, 2010

Hi there!,
The island of Dr.Moreau is already in my hands! I can't wait to read it.
Thanks Megi53 for sharing this book with us.
See you!

Journal Entry 16 by E-sr at Tenerife, Islas Canarias Spain on Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I have some troubles to send it but it is already on its way to the next.
An interesting reading that makes you think.
Hope you enjoy!
Happy 2011!

Journal Entry 17 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, January 24, 2011

And the book arrived safely at my doorstep today. Thanks for sending it to me E-sr.
I've always been curious as to this book. I've never read it, but I have seen some parodies of it.

Journal Entry 18 by Moriquen at Borgerhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Friday, January 28, 2011

This book was more or less as I expected it to be. It was gripping and I can see how it would have stirred some emotions in its day. But I'm also (just like amcamp mentioned) not able to think that this might ever happen. Not that humankind could not be so savage, I believe that there are those who might be as savage as Moreau and Montgomery. The science of the book just felt really wrong. (And I am by no means a scientist.) However my heart went out to the poor Brutes who were thrust into a life they could never understand even if they tried their hardest to live according to the Law! Thanks for letting me participate in this ring lauraloo!
A PM has already been sent to katrinat, the book will be sent on its way as soon as I have the adress! (Second PM on 2/2/2011.)

Journal Entry 19 by Moriquen at to next participant, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, February 03, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (2/3/2011 UTC) at to next participant, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the next participant. Hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 20 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, February 06, 2011

Arrived yesterday, thanks for sending it. I'm in the middle of another book at the moment, but once that is finished I'll get it started straight away.

Journal Entry 21 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, March 05, 2011

Sorry this took slightly longer than I expected, going on holiday slowed things down.
I really enjoyed bits of this but really struggled with the beginning, I just couldn't get into it for ages then sat down and read 120 pages in one go.
I'm asking for the next address and hope to get it posted this week. Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 22 by katrinat at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, April 11, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (4/11/2011 UTC) at Chelmsford, Essex United Kingdom

Sorry for the delay in sending

Journal Entry 23 by TracyW at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, April 17, 2011

Arrived a couple of days ago, thanks katrinkat! Am looking forward to reading it.

Okay, I've read it now. I think the book is interesting, not great. But then, that's typical of my experience of H.G. Wells. It's almost Lovecroftian in feel, with the horror in there, as the civilisation that Dr Moreau has built collapses around the humans. Which is rather consistent with his other stories, so that wasn't a great surprise. And none of the ideas in there were that exciting to me, but probably this is a mark of me having the good fortune to have some 100 years more of SF to read from. It's certainly not a bad read and I can see why it was popular in its day.

Now to pass it on.

Journal Entry 24 by TracyW at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Thursday, May 26, 2011

Released 3 yrs ago (5/26/2011 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posted to Stubee today.

Journal Entry 25 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 15, 2012

You'll be glad to hear that this has actually been safely stored on my bookshelf for awhile now sorry it must have just slipeed my mind to catch it.

Journal Entry 26 by KT-J at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, March 16, 2012

I picked this up off our bookshelf last year as it looked like a short book to read and Stubee said it was a 1001 book. Not the best book I've ever read I have to admit, I found it slightly disturbing. I can see that the ideas in it would have been revolutionary at the time of Wells writing it, and I felt sorry for the animals who were left in a confused state between human and beast. Overall though I didn't really care for any of the characters so while the concept was interesting I wasn't gripped by it.

Coincidentally, the book I'm currently reading - Anno Dracula by Kim Newman - includes Dr Moreau as a character in London in 1888, purportedly a year after the vivisection scandal which according to Mongomery drove him to be on the island in the south seas. So I was glad I read this book, if only to get the reference in my current read!

Journal Entry 27 by stubee at Bury, Lancashire United Kingdom on Friday, March 23, 2012

I started reading this last Wednesday while in the waiting room of the dentist. However I've not been giving it 100% of my concentration as I had an audiobook and podcasts on the go aswell, I finished the audiobook (Anno Dracula by Kim Newman) yesterday so I can now devote some more worthwhile time to this.

Finished 18/04/2012: A good H.G. Wells novel, a bit of a disturbing piece but I enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 28 by stubee at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Released 3 mos ago (5/20/2014 UTC) at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom

On it's way to Abi-Gibby. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 29 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Books now with me

Journal Entry 30 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Friday, June 06, 2014

Released 2 mos ago (6/7/2014 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

Journal Entry 31 by songofdarkness at Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset United Kingdom on Friday, June 13, 2014

Received. Thank you :)