corner corner Absalom, Absalom!

Absalom, Absalom!
by WILLIAM FAULKNER | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingperryfranwing of North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, November 19, 2005

status (set by dotdot): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingperryfranwing from North Ogden, Utah USA on Saturday, November 19, 2005

From an Amazon.com review:

Absalom, Absalom! is Faulkner's great novel of the rise and fall of the Sutpen dynasty and a great allegory of the rise and fall of the Old South. It should be noted that first of all this is probably Faulkner's greatest and most difficult work.
The book told through three interconnected narratives tells the life story of Thomas Sutpen. The story parallels the rise of the Old South. The narratives are not straight forward and present a constant challenge to the reader. But if the reader does not close the book in despair the rewards are great indeed.

The mood of the storytelling alone is worth the price of admission here. The long flowing sentences are marvels and testaments to Faulker's skill as a writer. The narrative drive makes reading the book almost like reading Greek tragedy. We gets views of Sutpens life from several townspeople and also across generations.

This is the first book that I've read in a long time that made me feel like I had accomplished something when I finished it. You don't so much read this novel as you become lost in it. Jump in get your feet wet and prepare for some of the most intense Southern gothic that you are ever likely to read.

This is also No. 622 on the 1001 books you must read before you die list.

Journal Entry 2 by wingperryfranwing at Bookrelay in Bookrelay, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 06, 2006

Released 8 yrs ago (10/7/2006 UTC) at Bookrelay in Bookrelay, Bookrelay -- Controlled Releases

Bookrelay to dotdot in Helsinki, Finland.

Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by wingdotdotwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, October 13, 2006

Arrived safe and sound. Thank you, perryfran!