corner corner Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day
by David Sedaris | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by ajsmom of Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on 11/19/2005

status (set by ajsmom): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Saturday, November 19, 2005

I am taking on SqueakyChu's stalled bookring. I will send the book out as soon as I hear from Piper79. Newcomers welcome (shipping internationally).

Piper79 (Indiana--int'l)
SudoKris (Bonn, Germany--int'l)
...
Breeze144 (Canada--Canada/US) ------> asked to be skipped
polliwog (US) ------> asked to be skipped
BrooklinBrat (Canada - Canada/US)

ajsmom (Canada)

Journal Entry 2 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, December 15, 2005

I have just put the book in the mail to Piper79. A few more people have been added, and I will leave the ring open for now.

Journal Entry 3 by Piper79 from Herndon, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 29, 2005

Picked up at the post office this morning. Thanks ajsmom for picking up this ring!

Journal Entry 4 by Piper79 from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, January 02, 2006

I finished this book yesterday. What a great way to start the New Year. I love the way Sedaris talks about France and the French. I can completely relate as my boyfriend is French. His parents recently visited for almost two weeks and it was interesting. His mother speaks some English as her daughter lives in England and she makes frequent visits. My boyfriend's father, however, knows just a few words. We had some interesting nights trying to communicate this holiday season. I am no better than him, though. I have been to France twice and don't think I would have functioned well without my French speaking counterparts. I almost broke down when I tried to order ice cream in France during my last visit. I thought I said and pointed to was small cup of ice cream, but the woman at the counter looked at me as if I was crazy. It couldn't have been too hard to find out what I wanted as all they sold was ice cream! When you can't be understood it simply makes a scene. The woman got the manager who spoke English and I just repeated what I wanted. It made me that much more self conscious to speak French.

My sister had a funny experience last year. She was writing a thank you note to my boyfriend's mother for a washcloth with ladybugs on it. (She's obsessed with ladybugs). My sister wrote a decent thank you letter except she wrote about the washcloth made of ladybugs. Ever since then, my boyfriend proofreads all of our correspondence with his family.

Anyway, I throughly enjoyed this book and I hope others do.

I've already PM’d vibbrant-art for an address and then I'll send this book on its way.

Journal Entry 5 by Piper79 at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Released 11 yrs ago (1/10/2006 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

Sent to vibrant-art.

Journal Entry 6 by vibrant-art on Friday, January 20, 2006

Received this today and I'v already started reading...
Thanks for including me in the bookring!

Journal Entry 7 by vibrant-art on Thursday, January 26, 2006

What a book!
The essays are witty and hilarious...
He is able to show the humour in things without (usually anyway) actually being crude or offensive--though his approach to the subject matter is sometimes pretty controvercial. I thought this was amazing considering he used a lot of material based on his family and parents, particularly his dad.

The only section I didn't enjoy quite so much was the second-to-last which seemed like it really was a caffeine-inspired rant and wasn't as punchy and brilliant as the other chapters/essays.

Really enjoyed this book...thanks again for including me in the ring.
Ready to send this along soon....

Journal Entry 8 by vibrant-art on Wednesday, February 15, 2006

This book is off to England next....it will be in the mail to GrannyPurple in the next few days....

Journal Entry 9 by GrannyPurple on Tuesday, March 14, 2006

this was waiting for me on my return from my holiday so I apologise if this posting is late.
I will read it now as I want to get it on to the next person.
Thanks. Vibrant Art

Journal Entry 10 by GrannyPurple on Thursday, March 30, 2006

Well it wasn't what i was expecting, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
Made me chuckle out loud in a couple of places.
passing it to next person in the ring.

Journal Entry 11 by GrannyPurple on Friday, March 31, 2006

I posted this book to wilmar this morning. :-)

Journal Entry 12 by Wilmar from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Monday, April 10, 2006

Caught! Found the book in my mailbox yesterday, thank you GrannyPurple :-).
Hope I find the time to read it soon.

Journal Entry 13 by Wilmar from Leiden, Zuid-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Finally finished this morning. I really enjoyed it, but it took me a while (I'm currently writing my thesis, so am very busy with other books).

I read the 'Me talk pretty some day' essay while I was lying flat on my stomach, sipping tea. I had to laugh so much, I choked on my tea. Which scared my cats and my boyfriend (and me - I could not breath for a minute or so).

ajsmom: thank you for taking on this bookring!
I already pm'ed -aiorghe-, so hopefully the book can continue its travels soon.

Journal Entry 14 by -aoirghe- from Bonn, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The book arrived today, but will have to take place in the waiting line behind some other bookrings. I hope I'll be able to get it soon.

Thanks for the ring and thanks to Wilmar for sending it, thanks for the nice postcard as well.

Journal Entry 15 by SudoKris from Lathones, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2006

Ooops - I don't know why I forgot to journal this book, I've had it since the beginning of July...

I've finally managed to read it, but I must say I didn't *really* like it - not my sense of humour, I guess....

Journal Entry 16 by SudoKris from Lathones, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, August 20, 2006

Breeze144 and Polliwog asked to be skipped, so it's now on its way to BrooklinBrat. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Arrived safe and sound today! I'm just finishing up another book, but should get to this by week's end.

Journal Entry 18 by BrooklinBrat from Brooklin, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 22, 2006

This wasn't quite "Wildly entertaining," as advertised on the cover, but it was well-written.

I did laugh out loud a few times, but could have done without the glorifcation of the crystal meth scenes...Ok, maybe not glorification exactly, but the matter-of-fact way he wrote about it suggested it was no big deal. Made me kind of queasy.

Thanks for letting me play!

Journal Entry 19 by ajsmom from Quesnel, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Yay! This ring is complete as the book has arrived home with me. Thanks, everybody!!

Journal Entry 20 by ajsmom at At a jewellery store on Badillo at Constitucion in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco Mexico on Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Released 10 yrs ago (2/7/2007 UTC) at At a jewellery store on Badillo at Constitucion in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco Mexico